Vivian Stringer retiring, effective 9/1/22 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Vivian Stringer retiring, effective 9/1/22

Reaction Score
There have been a lot of coaches expressing their admiration for CVS on social since her retirement announcement, but especially from Black women coaches, who have thanked her for being a pioneer and a mentor to them, even if just by her example. It's no surprise that one of the first to express her appreciation was Dawn Staley. Inspiring the growth of Black women coaches in the game will be one of her biggest--and undeniable--legacies.
CVS probably inspired a host of African American coaches dating back to a time where there were almost zero in the game. I wouldn't put her on Mt. Rushmore of the old guard but she's easily in the top 10.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t hate giving Gail Goestenkors a shot; though I’m sure that’s a short term solution it would start the rebuild.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t hate giving Gail Goestenkors a shot; though I’m sure that’s a short term solution it would start the rebuild.
I think Rutgers should go after Banghart first; her history in the Garden State will be valuable. She's also a darn good coach and recruiter.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think Rutgers should go after Banghart first; her history in the Garden State will be valuable. She's also a darn good coach and recruiter.
Yes, I wouldn't chose GG as a first option, but I think she is a viable one if she is interested in returning to big time coaching - which we also don't know. I am not against Banghart or Barnes-Arico, both have the NJ connections that sound like a good idea.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Any word why the actual transition won't be until September?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Her players also continue to have very successful WNBA careers; some of the more recent examples--Betnijah Laney, Kahleah Copper, Erica Wheeler--have really blossomed in the pros. But many of her best players came to the pros ready on the defensive end at the very beginning (thinking Chelsea Newton and Essence Carson most prominently).
Agree - the kind of discipline and focus on defense she demanded made prospects attractive at the pro level - it was just not that attractive to most of the top level of HS recruits as more and more focus was on AAU where defense was optional and coaching minimal.

Reaction Score
Cheez! One or two tributes and the boneyard gets down to the business of speculating on who will be C. Vivian’s replacement.

That being said don’t forget that CD was interested in that position back in 1995. With Kim Mulkey returning to LSU anything is possible.
Kim Mulkey matriculated at Louisiana Tech.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom