Vivian Stringer retiring, effective 9/1/22 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vivian Stringer retiring, effective 9/1/22

Reaction Score
Will Rutgers spend the money to attract a “top” candidate/coach? Is their woman’s team important to the University?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The matchups between UConn & Rutgers in the OBE days at that band box of a gym in NJ were among the most physical games I ever watched. While the games between the two schools were always intense, Geno & C. Viv had a great friendship and respect for each other throughout their careers.
I have been to band box gyms. You are mis-remembering. The RAC has a capacity of 8000. I don't like the style myself, with the steep sides, but when filled with fans it is considered extremely intimidating. It was built as a temporary home for the NJ Nets when they in the process of moving arenas.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Am I the only one?

I'll grant that CViv was a pioneer but a couple of things - her Rutgers teams were often underachievers (great players that never made much of an impact as a team), and they were very "physical." And then there was "fingergate" when Pondexter flipped off Auriemma when he complained about the nasty trash talk aimed at Ann Strother. He thought it was Pondexter but it was from a different Rutgers player. Stringer defended Pondexter.

Besides, I think CViv retired 5-6 years ago and has just been collecting a paycheck.
You must be a real comfort at funerals. None of us are perfect. C. Viv devoted 50 years to her chosen profession. She has the 4th highest win total in the history of WBB. More importantly she’s positively impacted many young women’s lives in her years as a coach. That’s something to honor and celebrate.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
All power and due respect to C. Viv for a fabulous career at three schools, upgrading their play and that of overall WCBB in the process.

Some of the ND - Rutgers games were also dogfights and I attended a few down at the "RAC." Rutgers made havoc of ND's ball distribution many a time, but ND could also expose Rutger's frenzied approach on defense; most notably, Alicia Ratay could. Her three pt shooting against Rutgers stays in my head.

That said, Rutgers needs to get a move on. Eastman will probably stay in the lead chair (given he has for the past year and half (minimum)). As for next coach, I think Rutgers will pay to get a top-notch coach in place.

As for who. remember those rumors about Kim Barnes Arrico leaving Michigan. I've always maintained the Long Island native who lived in NJ might want to come back East and stay in the B1G. Barnes Arrio would plumb the Jersey Shore conference every year and keep those players in state.
I remember those rumors. Fingers crossed.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
You must be a real comfort at funerals. None of us are perfect. C. Viv devoted 50 years to her chosen profession. She has the 4th highest win total in the history of WBB. More importantly she’s positively impacted many young women’s lives in her years as a coach. That’s something to honor and celebrate.
Exactly. It's the impact that CViv has had on her players. I remember Erica Wheeler saying something along the lines of when Erica's mother passed away, I believe right after her junior year that Erica didn't want to come back to school the next year; but CViv had promised Erica's mother that Erica would get a degree and didn't take no for an answer about Erica not finishing school.

Reaction Score
At long last a legend leaves. No idea who she was when Rutgers hired her. Instant attention when she smiled and said she intended to make the Scarlet Knights “the jewel of the East.” C Viv’s game was defense, rebounding, and fast pace. And mentoring and motivating. She deserves honors for helping people…women, players, and all who’ve watched her career. Missing her already.

The numbers are there to validate Stringer as one of the best ever coaches. What gives the imprimatur of greatness is being fully engaged when the joint was rockin’ as Stringer, Auriemma, et al went at it for League honors. Well done her.

Great days, great games.

Reaction Score
Congratulations on a great career. CVS is a pioneer whose time had come. I've no doubt she worked incredibly hard and earned her accolades. She wasn't perfect, nobody is, but most of the players who toughed it out with her seem to be very appreciative of her support and coaching.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
No Thank You GIF by Voot Select

I think the Rutgers AD has known this was going to happen for a while, and if so I believe that he already knows his targets.

One name that has popped up on the RU forum,(and I don't know how reliable the poster's info is) is Courtney Banghart. I'd be happy with that hire....but like you said it's strange timing.

I either want Banghart, or KBA. :p
I could save them some money; I've been wanting to move home to Jersey for a while and I'd entertain an offer of 250k to coach at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
If there was a Mt. Rushmore of coaches, the first 3 would be a no-brainer. Would CViv make the cut as #4?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If there was a Mt. Rushmore of coaches, the first 3 would be a no-brainer. Would CViv make the cut as #4?
I don’t think so. Too many other more deserving candidates.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think opinions of CViv were probably different years ago when she was in the Big East and her team was the equivalent of those of Coach Abe. Games with Rutgers were often rough and tumble affairs. There were several really nasty players on the Rutgers team and IMO a team is a reflection of their coach.

Rutgers WCBB has done nothing of note for many years. Their best result this century was a couple of elite 8s the last in 2008. Hence my comment that she had retired years ago.

This is not an exact quote but I remember Stringer accusing Auriemma of "using language that no human being should have to listen to" after he yelled at Pondexter for abusing Ann Strother (it was another Rutgers player). Pondexter responded to Auriemma by "pointing a finger at him". It was a middle finger and it was pointed straight up. Rutgers University later publicly apologised to Auriemma for that incident and I assume that CViv apologized privately. Incidentally, that comment from Stringer was probably one of the most coherent statements that she ever made. Her post game interviews were classic "what????"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here’s the top five women’s basketball coaches ranked by number of wins. Sylvia Hatchel is the only other coach over 1000 wins.

B3C97CD9-8075-45BA-9341-D7137183B9BD.jpeg

Attachments

• AEEA3064-67F7-46B8-8A3D-A8287E8156DB.png
    AEEA3064-67F7-46B8-8A3D-A8287E8156DB.png
    440.2 KB · Views: 122

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
C. Viv also has the unique distinction of taking 3 different teams to the FF: Cheyney St, Iowa & Rutgers (2).
Always wonder if Cheyney St would have made it had that first tournament not been a split field with half the powers staying loyal to the AIAW while half went with the NCAA. Still a great achievement.

I think her brand of basketball required really committed players - her defense required full effort while her offense tended to be more scattershot. I think as social media and other distraction increased it was hard to get the best players to commit themselves for that defensive effort without more reward at the other end of the floor. Much easier to create those tough teams and find those players at a UCF than at a P5 now.

As for Mount Rushmore question ... the win total is impressive, but the win percentage (.712 around 50th of 90 coaches with 600 wins - right next to Hatchell .716), wins/year (21 vs quite a few with 25+), and championships are not. I would probably include Muffet, Jody, and even Sylvia before CViv on a pure basketball level.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think opinions of CViv were probably different years ago when she was in the Big East and her team was the equivalent of those of Coach Abe. Games with Rutgers were often rough and tumble affairs. There were several really nasty players on the Rutgers team and IMO a team is a reflection of their coach.

Rutgers WCBB has done nothing of note for many years. Their best result this century was a couple of elite 8s the last in 2008. Hence my comment that she had retired years ago.

This is not an exact quote but I remember Stringer accusing Auriemma of "using language that no human being should have to listen to" after he yelled at Pondexter for abusing Ann Strother (it was another Rutgers player). Pondexter responded to Auriemma by "pointing a finger at him". It was a middle finger and it was pointed straight up. Rutgers University later publicly apologised to Auriemma for that incident and I assume that CViv apologized privately. Incidentally, that comment from Stringer was probably one of the most coherent statements that she ever made. Her post game interviews were classic "what????"
C Viv took Rutgers to the Final Four in 2000 and 2007. "This Century"

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Always wonder if Cheyney St would have made it had that first tournament not been a split field with half the powers staying loyal to the AIAW while half went with the NCAA. Still a great achievement.

I think her brand of basketball required really committed players - her defense required full effort while her offense tended to be more scattershot. I think as social media and other distraction increased it was hard to get the best players to commit themselves for that defensive effort without more reward at the other end of the floor. Much easier to create those tough teams and find those players at a UCF than at a P5 now.

As for Mount Rushmore question ... the win total is impressive, but the win percentage (.712 around 50th of 90 coaches with 600 wins - right next to Hatchell .716), wins/year (21 vs quite a few with 25+), and championships are not. I would probably include Muffet, Jody, and even Sylvia before CViv on a pure basketball level.

Her players also continue to have very successful WNBA careers; some of the more recent examples--Betnijah Laney, Kahleah Copper, Erica Wheeler--have really blossomed in the pros. But many of her best players came to the pros ready on the defensive end at the very beginning (thinking Chelsea Newton and Essence Carson most prominently).

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Not necessarily Sylvia, but yes, Jody and Muffet - both with championships and great success - probably would be ranked ahead of her. While Sylvia did win a Natty - and certainly that's nothing to sneeze at - I would consider her on about the same level as Vivian and a number of other very successful, long term coaches.

Throwing in the "pioneer card" boosts Jody, Viv and yes, Sylvia. There is a lot of credit to be given Vivian, and, at least of all time top 10 coaches, I would think top 10 unquestionably. It will be interesting to see what goes on going forward with the coaches that are still active but heading into the top 10 territory - and may already be there. Dawn and Kim come to mind immediately.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
vtcwbuff: just for the record...uhh...at least the record that I recall:

Geno was upset at how that game was being called. He did have some choice words directed
at the ref...not at any player. Pondexter incorrectly thought he was talking to her. She responded in an inappropriate fashion based on her misintepretation. C. Viv did 'defend' her player publicly in the post game and your quote from her is correct.

The Rutgers administration did publicly apologize to Geno ....almost a year later just before our next game with Rutgers.
Better [very] late than never? Not sure whether C Viv. ever did so ...in public.

She deserves all the accolades...hope she is in good health.

BTW; We dodged a bullet back in the mid-1990's regarding CD taking the head job at her alma mater...I think
she was Plan B if Stringer had stayed at Iowa. Kudos to CViv for that call! One-quarter of a century later...a different set of circumstances... I think that CD will remain ours until Geno retires....many years down the road.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Urshurak: are you saying that Chris Daily has had recent hip surgery...a la Caroline
DuCharme?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
vtcwbuff: just for the record...uhh...at least the record that I recall:

Geno was upset at how that game was being called. He did have some choice words directed
at the ref...not at any player. Pondexter incorrectly thought he was talking to her. She responded in an inappropriate fashion based on her misintepretation. C. Viv did 'defend' her player publicly in the post game and your quote from her is correct.

The Rutgers administration did publicly apologize to Geno ....almost a year later just before our next game with Rutgers.
Better [very] late than never? Not sure whether C Viv. ever did so ...in public.

She deserves all the accolades...hope she is in good health.

BTW; We dodged a bullet back in the mid-1990's regarding CD taking the head job at her alma mater...I think
she was Plan B if Stringer had stayed at Iowa. Kudos to CViv for that call! One-quarter of a century later...a different set of circumstances... I think that CD will remain ours until Geno retires....many years down the road.
I get the recall thing. I can't remember the Rutgers player that was the instigator. Perhaps someone here has a better memory. My memory of what happened with Pondexter is a bit different. The way I remember it was that Auriemma was yelling at Pondexter for some really nasty trash talking that was going on. He picked the wrong player, it wasn't Pondexter but that's what prompted her inappropriate response. I think there was a lot of discussion here after it happened.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Not necessarily Sylvia, but yes, Jody and Muffet - both with championships and great success - probably would be ranked ahead of her. While Sylvia did win a Natty - and certainly that's nothing to sneeze at - I would consider her on about the same level as Vivian and a number of other very successful, long term coaches.

Throwing in the "pioneer card" boosts Jody, Viv and yes, Sylvia. There is a lot of credit to be given Vivian, and, at least of all time top 10 coaches, I would think top 10 unquestionably. It will be interesting to see what goes on going forward with the coaches that are still active but heading into the top 10 territory - and may already be there. Dawn and Kim come to mind immediately.

There have been a lot of coaches expressing their admiration for CVS on social since her retirement announcement, but especially from Black women coaches, who have thanked her for being a pioneer and a mentor to them, even if just by her example. It's no surprise that one of the first to express her appreciation was Dawn Staley. Inspiring the growth of Black women coaches in the game will be one of her biggest--and undeniable--legacies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom