Vivian Stringer retiring, effective 9/1/22 | The Boneyard

Vivian Stringer retiring, effective 9/1/22

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Bittersweet. New era! Better find a good coach!
Animated GIF

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The matchups between UConn & Rutgers in the OBE days at that band box of a gym in NJ were among the most physical games I ever watched. While the games between the two schools were always intense, Geno & C. Viv had a great friendship and respect for each other throughout their careers.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All power and due respect to C. Viv for a fabulous career at three schools, upgrading their play and that of overall WCBB in the process.

Some of the ND - Rutgers games were also dogfights and I attended a few down at the "RAC." Rutgers made havoc of ND's ball distribution many a time, but ND could also expose Rutger's frenzied approach on defense; most notably, Alicia Ratay could. Her three pt shooting against Rutgers stays in my head.

That said, Rutgers needs to get a move on. Eastman will probably stay in the lead chair (given he has for the past year and half (minimum)). As for next coach, I think Rutgers will pay to get a top-notch coach in place.

As for who. remember those rumors about Kim Barnes Arrico leaving Michigan. I've always maintained the Long Island native who lived in NJ might want to come back East and stay in the B1G. Barnes Arrio would plumb the Jersey Shore conference every year and keep those players in state.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great career. Those Rutgers teams in the 2000s were really good and tough and she trained some great pros.

Very strange timing. Probably best if Rutgers promotes an assistant as interim coach rather than scrambling to find a new head coach which would created a likely domino effect at other schools. Leaving it until only 24 hours before portal entry does not include free transfers is not great for her players either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With C. Viv’s retirement, there really is no one else currently coaching WBB that is within striking distance of Geno and Tara’s win total, should either elect to retire in the next few seasons. While I believe that C. Viv would have liked to coach long enough to pass Pat for 3rd on the all time wins list, I suspect that her health was a major consideration in her decision to retire.

I also expect that Geno will most likely retire before Tara, hopefully many years in the future, and they will reign as the winningest 2 coaches in WBB for many years to come, if not forever.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Great career. Those Rutgers teams in the 2000s were really good and tough and she trained some great pros.

Very strange timing. Probably best if Rutgers promotes an assistant as interim coach rather than scrambling to find a new head coach which would created a likely domino effect at other schools. Leaving it until only 24 hours before portal entry does not include free transfers is not great for her players either.
No Thank You GIF by Voot Select

I think the Rutgers AD has known this was going to happen for a while, and if so I believe that he already knows his targets.

One name that has popped up on the RU forum,(and I don't know how reliable the poster's info is) is Courtney Banghart. I'd be happy with that hire....but like you said it's strange timing.

I either want Banghart, or KBA. :p

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think the Rutgers AD has known this was going to happen for a while, and if so I believe that he already knows his targets.

One name that has popped up on the RU forum,(and I don't know how reliable the poster's info is) is Courtney Banghart. I'd be happy with that hire....but like you said it's strange timing.

I’ve met her a few times and I like her. I don’t see her leaving UNC to go to Rutgers though.

Congrats to CViv. She’s had one heck of a run. I’ll always have a modicum of appreciation for her because I have a suspicion that if she didn’t take the Rutgers job Chris Daley may have been next on the list.

Reaction Score
Cheez! One or two tributes and the boneyard gets down to the business of speculating on who will be C. Vivian’s replacement.

That being said don’t forget that CD was interested in that position back in 1995. With Kim Mulkey returning to LSU anything is possible.

Reaction Score
It is. But it was time. A couple years overdue even.
I like Coach Stringer, she did great things in this sport but yes it felt time for her to move on at the same time. We are slowly approaching a time where a lot your top coaches are at the tail ends of their careers, they are up in age.

I will be interested to see who Rutgers hires.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Cheez! One or two tributes and the boneyard gets down to the business of speculating on who will be C. Vivian’s replacement.

That being said don’t forget that CD was interested in that position back in 1995. With Kim Mulkey returning to LSU anything is possible.
:rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Now if we screw up this hire....

.....DON'T !!!!! You've got 11 months to get it right! ;)

CL82

Reaction Score

Lol much like my collegiate career, I’m afraid that ship has sailed.

CL82

Reaction Score

Now if we screw up this hire....
Oh there’s a very real chance that you guys will “Rutgers” it, but I hope you get a good young hire.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

If by some chance Rutgers were able to hire Courtney Banghart, would that cause Cierra Toomey to re-think her college choice? Would she consider Rutgers as well as UConn?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Am I the only one?

I'll grant that CViv was a pioneer but a couple of things - her Rutgers teams were often underachievers (great players that never made much of an impact as a team), and they were very "physical." And then there was "fingergate" when Pondexter flipped off Auriemma when he complained about the nasty trash talk aimed at Ann Strother. He thought it was Pondexter but it was from a different Rutgers player. Stringer defended Pondexter.

Besides, I think CViv retired 5-6 years ago and has just been collecting a paycheck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom