Vital on Multiple Blowouts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vital on Multiple Blowouts

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This can't be what we are celebrating that someone on the team "gets it" They play major D1 basketball this is to be expected. We has fans have fallen with the program, we no longer hold these teams to the standard of past UConn teams. So, great Vital "gets it" hope his play on the court reflects that next time.
Anything that affirms the reality of what we are seeing and builds common bonds in our collective horror is worthy of appreciation. It's the first step.
Awareness
Acceptance
Action

Reaction Score
This can't be what we are celebrating that someone on the team "gets it" They play major D1 basketball this is to be expected. We has fans have fallen with the program, we no longer hold these teams to the standard of past UConn teams. So, great Vital "gets it" hope his play on the court reflects that next time.
Just making sure not to mix the sh$& in with mud we’re slinging

Reaction Score
He has stones which is lacking on this team but he needs to recognize what a good shot is and show some restraint at times. This team never fights collectively to find the best shot and value each possession and sometimes he is part of that problem when he hoists up shots like he is Steph Curry. When it works it's a spark, when it doesn't it sets us back big time. Like his moxy but too trigger happy at times. A good coach could turn him into a John Gwynn lite spark with a little discipline. We don't have a good coach.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Nice quote, but it'd be even better if he didn't take so many awful shots himself.
Who else should shoot....he’s one of only 3 guys capable of consistent scoring.

Reaction Score
We all know Vital takes bad shots, but in all honesty, so does Adams and Larrier and everyone else on the team for that matter. Vital does hustle on both ends and you do see him under the Boards. As many are saying, I like his game and his mentality. He's young and on a team with not much talent or cohesion so mistakes are a given.

I like that he said it was disrespectful to the program's past. What worries me the most is a lot of our current players and those who we are recruiting have forgotten about the glory days of UConn basketball. All fans need to admit, the media never praised UConn. Although we have more titles then Duke, Kansas, Kentucky over the last 20 years, UConn has never been mentioned in the same breath as those programs. Now that we are in the dumps, the media is coming out bashing and looking for a story, which they have.

In my mind this is what AD Benedict and KO really need to concern themselves with. Being positive and upbeat is one thing, but at some point you need to focus on reality. I don't think it's necessary about the losing (Kentucky is having a bad year) it's the manner in which we are losing. Look at the teams we have lost to this season: MSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Arizona, Villanova, Wichita State, Cincy. Two of those teams are National Champion contenders. Arizona was a contender at the beginning of the season. Cincy is a 2 or a 3 seed. We have no depth, we are small, we are young. A loss to those teams? Fine. 30 point blowouts? Absolutely not. We are straight up not competitive, and that's the problem.

Players are starting to realize it's not good. As fans, we don't know why it's not good? Is there a unity in the locker room? Is there loyalty to KO? The biggest questions are, who will leave and who will stay?

Reaction Score
We all know Vital takes bad shots, but in all honesty, so does Adams and Larrier and everyone else on the team for that matter. Vital does hustle on both ends and you do see him under the Boards. As many are saying, I like his game and his mentality. He's young and on a team with not much talent or cohesion so mistakes are a given.

I like that he said it was disrespectful to the program's past. What worries me the most is a lot of our current players and those who we are recruiting have forgotten about the glory days of UConn basketball. All fans need to admit, the media never praised UConn. Although we have more titles then Duke, Kansas, Kentucky over the last 20 years, UConn has never been mentioned in the same breath as those programs. Now that we are in the dumps, the media is coming out bashing and looking for a story, which they have.

In my mind this is what AD Benedict and KO really need to concern themselves with. Being positive and upbeat is one thing, but at some point you need to focus on reality. I don't think it's necessary about the losing (Kentucky is having a bad year) it's the manner in which we are losing. Look at the teams we have lost to this season: MSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Arizona, Villanova, Wichita State, Cincy. Two of those teams are National Champion contenders. Arizona was a contender at the beginning of the season. Cincy is a 2 or a 3 seed. We have no depth, we are small, we are young. A loss to those teams? Fine. 30 point blowouts? Absolutely not. We are straight up not competitive, and that's the problem.

Players are starting to realize it's not good. As fans, we don't know why it's not good? Is there a unity in the locker room? Is there loyalty to KO? The biggest questions are, who will leave and who will stay?
Add in 2 ugly losses to Temple and Memphis and one in 2 OT’s to Tulsa were we could have won twice it has been a horrific season. It is worst than last year as we were more competitive when Adams played(when Adams was out it was ugly like this year) and saw improvement from vital, Jackson and facey as the season went on. Last year we were playing with only 6 players a few games too. We were always short handed. This year besides Gilbert(out for the seaon) and Larrier missing a couple games we have been pretty much have been with a full team but the results have been ugly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course he takes bad shots. Everyone in this system that relies on late in the possession desperation heaves takes bad shots. Wonder why? Ollie has had the worst luck with his offensive system and player personnel that have been forced upon him eh?

Reaction Score
Anything that affirms the reality of what we are seeing and builds common bonds in our collective horror is worthy of appreciation. It's the first step.
Awareness
Acceptance
Action
Hope the kid can take the next step and lead on the floor. Hate how when this team has a slight lead when the game is in jeopardy, the group on the floor is celebrating like it's a 20 point blow out (I.e. USf). Many times this kid is in the center of it. Would rather see this kid shout a Brady "Lets Go!" and encourage his peers to stay focused. Granted it's a small step, but has to start somewhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He has stones which is lacking on this team but he needs to recognize what a good shot is and show some restraint at times. This team never fights collectively to find the best shot and value each possession and sometimes he is part of that problem when he hoists up shots like he is Steph Curry. When it works it's a spark, when it doesn't it sets us back big time. Like his moxy but too trigger happy at times. A good coach could turn him into a John Gwynn lite spark with a little discipline. We don't have a good coach.
He's a more complete player than Gwynn but point taken.

Reaction Score
anyone criticizes him doesn't know basketball. He's a sophomore and produces, and leaves it all out there on both ends of the court. Effort, hustle and moxie!

Reaction Score
anyone criticizes him doesn't know basketball. He's a sophomore and produces, and leaves it all out there on both ends of the court. Effort, hustle and moxie!

Anyone who doesn't see his weaknesses doesn't know basketball. But in regards to these being the reason WSU hammered them last night then it's not good timing. He's a hardworking kid who should be a kid coming off the bench for a good basketball team but instead is asked to do more than he actually can. His statements in regards to the program after the game tells you he really cares and understands what it means to wear the uni, have to like that.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
It’s great that he acknowledges that these blowouts are unacceptable, but what does he do about it? What would have Kalid, KO the player, Caron, Rip, Donny, Kemba, Bazz done? He needs to get pissed off and get in someone’s grill. I’ve said before that KO the coach has failed to recruit what KO the player had; leadership, work ethic, toughness, team-oriented. This team needs some fire. It seems like they don’t care that they lose.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't see his weaknesses doesn't know basketball. But in regards to these being the reason WSU hammered them last night then it's not good timing. He's a hardworking kid who should be a kid coming off the bench for a good basketball team but instead is asked to do more than he actually can. His statements in regards to the program after the game tells you he really cares and understands what it means to wear the uni, have to like that.

I agree that the kid loves the program and his coach
Not 100% sure that he should be a kid who come off the bench but he has hit a wall with his outside shooting but to me it looks like someone who is willing the ball to the basket rather than shooting with a normal rhythm. Both he and JA are the only able scoring threats UConn has - TL is only good when wide open - and both are forced to do something as the clock winds down.
Last year there were more options
The bigs are young and going against guys who are bigger, stronger, smarter and more skilled. TL is so timid he adds so little to this team
I know, if, if, if but if AG and Sid were available I feel that the team would be stronger and better

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It’s great that he acknowledges that these blowouts are unacceptable, but what does he do about it? What would have Kalid, KO the player, Caron, Rip, Donny, Kemba, Bazz done? He needs to get pissed off and get in someone’s grill. I’ve said before that KO the coach has failed to recruit what KO the player had; leadership, work ethic, toughness, team-oriented. This team needs some fire. It seems like they don’t care that they lose.
Cmon, CV is not KEA, CB, KO, Rip, Kemba or Bazz - you are asking him to be something that isn't in the cards right now
That role is up to JA and believe me, he has been in guys faces but you can only draw so much out of these guys right now - the talent isn't there or hasn't blossomed in some of them yet

Reaction Score
I didn't say he has no weaknesses - btw who doesn't?? his positives certainly outweigh the negatives. anyone that knows anything about basketball would know that he's going 100% AND is a player who is being asked to do much more than is expected - and for most part delivers.
Why criticize a 20 year kid who is trying??

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Cmon, CV is not KEA, CB, KO, Rip, Kemba or Bazz - you are asking him to be something that isn't in the cards right now
That role is up to JA and believe me, he has been in guys faces but you can only draw so much out of these guys right now - the talent isn't there or hasn't blossomed in some of them yet
They weren’t the stars of their teams, for the most part but strong leaders. Unfortunately, we have completely lost the UConn identity and that is on KO. He hasn’t recruited talent or character. Sad state of affairs.

Reaction Score
Vital is a shooting coach and some on court discipline away from being an excellent player. His stroke is funky which is why he’s a streaky shooter. Many of his runaway train drives into traffic could be mitigated by a soft pull up jumper. He needs to rebuild that thing this off season and he’d be much better.

UConn has never really taken kids that couldn’t shoot and made them into good shooters, but it is teachable. Just another example of lack of development. Jalen should be a good 3 point shooter by now and he hasn’t developed that aspect of his game either. Soon he’ll need NBA range to succeed. Something tells me he’ll have it 6 months after leaving UConn.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I really like Vital and wish he could have been the 7th man for a well coached UCONN team of the past.
Listening to him has me thinking the lack of a plan that saw Vance Jackson split is still in effect.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Listening to him has me thinking the lack of a plan that saw Vance Jackson split is still in effect.
So I don't know, obviously, but I kind of have the sense that that conversation may have been more about Vance being made the feature player on the team and Ollie giving a curt answer to a needy kid with a disrespectful, jerky Dad than a kid asking a coach what he needs to work on. Just a sense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom