Vital is becoming Vital | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vital is becoming Vital

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I feel stupid for ever comparing him to Austrie. How about a slightly less athletic/better ball-handling Albert?

Don't feel stupid: (a) we still don't know for certain he'll be better than Austrie in 3 years, and (b) his game is very similar to Austrie's and his "best" quality, his headiness / b@lls / BBIQ / maturity.

So my thought is "Souped-up, better version of Craig Austrie" by his senior year is still very valid, but his ability gives us promise and hope that by then he could totally surpass that. He's been great as a frosh. But that comparison is still pretty on point, IMO, until he makes a BIG jump.

Again, he could, and his play so far has been great and a revelation ... My point is more that Austrie's style, steadiness and everything is underrated.

Could Vital be a Giffey-type his senior year? Neils is a little taller but games/roles are fairly similar, as well.

Just riffing and ranting now, but thankful it's about something as positive as our least regarded recruit playing great.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You guys are all underselling Vital. He's far more rounded as a player than Albert Mouring, and even as a shooter, Vital may be as good. Look at stats: Vital is shooting 36.9% on 3s for the season, and improving rapidly: in the last 6 games, 19-36 for 52.8%. Mouring shot a career 41.2% but that was 10.0% as a frosh and 37.2% as a soph, it was only as an upperclassman that he shot over 40%. Vital has an assist to turnover ratio of 1.5, Mouring's TOs aren't available online but by memory I'll guarantee his A:TO ratio was worse. Vital as a frosh has more rebounds, steals, and assists per game than Mouring over his career.

Monquencio Hardnett? Come on, the guy was out of control and a turnover machine. His stats are nowhere near Vital's.

He's a solid all-around guard. We've had a lot of players at UConn with great strengths and great weaknesses. Vital is one of those all-around good players. If you want a comparable, Fishy's Sterling Gibbs is good. How about Russ Smith of Louisville? Russ Smith College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Sterling Gibbs, but with seemingly a bit more "IT" factor in his game (take that for what it's worth, I know its indefinable but I believe in that "it" in college hoops).

Reaction Score
From the very beginning I fell in love with this dude. Initially I just loved his court demeanor. He really wasn't good, but you couldn't tell by his body language. Blown layups, bricked threes...nothing seemed to matter. The next opportunity he would jack up another brick or throw up another wild layup attempt like it was his job. Now he's actually starting to play well. The funny thing is, even when he was shooting 0 for 6 I was always optimistic the next shot would go. I don't think I've ever felt this way about a UCONN player. He's a unique dude.

Reaction Score
He's far better at this point than I ever thought he would be. Very good player to have for 3+ more years. Overall I believe he will be more valuable than Sterling Gibbs because he is more physically talented and athletic. Giffeye is not a good comparison, different role and position.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I like the 4-years of Sterling Gibbs. So-so but serviceable handle. Ability to surprise you with a nifty drive and finish. (Hopefully) proficient from range ... perhaps not some of the bombs Gibbs would throw up. Seems like a better rebounder though and if he had 4 more inches I'd mistake him for Lasan Kromah.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's our starting SG for the next 3 years. His 3 and D ability will be invaluable on teams with ball dominant scoring PGs as a kick out option, allowing our star guard to 'rest' on D, and by the time he's an upperclassmen I expect an improved handling ability.

Reaction Score
He's our starting SG for the next 3 years. His 3 and D ability will be invaluable on teams with ball dominant scoring PGs as a kick out option, allowing our star guard to 'rest' on D, and by the time he's an upperclassmen I expect an improved handling ability.
Then who sits? I love Vital but assuming Jalen stays, as he should, you see Vital beating out a healthy Alterique for a starting spot? I don't see that happening.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Then who sits? I love Vital but assuming Jalen stays, as he should, you see Vital beating out a healthy Alterique for a starting spot? I don't see that happening.
Yes, he fits the lineup better than 'Rique, and may be a better defender. Gilbert will be a huge asset running the offense off the bench and giving Adams breaks, but I'm not sure he can play off the ball, and if he can play better defense than Vital.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Alterique will be our third guard next year.

Reaction Score
Alterique was a starter before his injury, I'm not really sure thats going to change ( he was also playing pretty damn well) Next year ollie can play a 3 guard line up if he wants, he also will have MAL at his disposable on the second unit.

caw

Reaction Score
So my memory is not what it used to be, and this is looking back 25+ years, but I keep thinking Brian Fair when I see Vital play.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So my memory is not what it used to be, and this is looking back 25+ years, but I keep thinking Brian Fair when I see Vital play.
I have zero memories of Brian being able to dribble, pass or defend. Similar form on the jumper tho!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This is an interesting discussion. Vital has been surprising from the start and has just gotten better and better. I don't think we know what his limits are as yet, but we have guesses from his dropping to getting few minutes next year (in some other thread) to his being a 3 year starter. He has a quick release, good form on his shot, has a knack for making steals (both in his ability to anticipate some passes as well as digging out dribbles that got too close), and has seemed to become better at driving the ball and playing defense. He sounds to me when I think of this to be at least a competitor for a starter job next year.

A lot depends on how good and ready Alterique is to play to his potential by that time. We are looking for Alterique to be a star at UConn. He needs to be groomed for that role. I have been watching the games from Khalid's freshman year and it is astounding to me how good he was as a freshman (I was astounded before when it happened as well). I cannot think of one other freshman point guard at UConn in the Calhoun/Ollie era (except maybe Doron Sheffer who wasn't a real freshman) who was remotely close to running the team with the confidence and ability he had. Kemba, our greatest player, was not 1/2 the player Khalid was as a freshman. We should not expect Alterique to be Khalid as a freshman and maybe he could adjust to play the Shabazz freshman role if it makes sense. He could be devastating coming in at the 8 minute mark and running the opponents ragged and giving Jalen a blow. Alterique has to come along and be ready to take the reins next year. These things are for KO to work out, but next year could be bright in the backcourt! Vital is a great find.

caw

Reaction Score
I have zero memories of Brian being able to dribble, pass or defend. Similar form on the jumper tho!

I'll admit his jumper is best engrained in my mind.

Reaction Score
Christian Vital is becoming Vital :) to our success this year.

CV has played real big, hit some key shots and been clutch at the free throw line.

The extra court time he has received this year due to the injuries that we have had, has helped his growth tremendously and I see him as a Vital part of our 4 headed guard rotation next year.

Who starts next year, Vital or Gilbert...?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I like the 4-years of Sterling Gibbs. So-so but serviceable handle. Ability to surprise you with a nifty drive and finish. (Hopefully) proficient from range ... perhaps not some of the bombs Gibbs would throw up. Seems like a better rebounder though and if he had 4 more inches I'd mistake him for Lasan Kromah.

That's a great post.

I was going to include Kromah in my comp, but I felt myself rambling.

Reaction Score
I liked Brian Fair and met him, he was a nice kid. Brian mostly took jumpers and wasn't great at driving to the basket. CV is CV love the kid he plays balls to the wall all day long, what he and Brian have in common is they bleed blue. Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Vital is 19 for his last 36 from three (over a span of six games). That's insane for anybody, much less a freshman. I don't know when the last time we've seen a freshman get that hot. Lamb?

I don't see the Gibbs comparisons. He was a liability defensively and not in the same realm as Vital athletically (and I'm not saying Vital is an amazing athlete, but Gibbs had the classic old man game).

I mentioned Russ Smith a couple weeks ago, but aside from having similar body types, I'm not sure they're that similar. Smith was never a great shooter, but he was one of the quickest college players I've ever seen and he could finish at an amazing rate for a guy his size.

Lenzelle Smith, who played at Ohio State a few years ago, is a name that comes to mind. He might not be the sexiest comparison, but he played a key role on a final four team as a 3 and D guy + a complementary facilitator.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think I like the comparison best of K. Freeman though a different position. At heart I think Vital is a warrior. Exudes
confidence but willing to bet that he is highly teachable. These kind of attributes suggest to me that the young man has
a high character level; especially for the age. I suspect he probably is very willing to do what is suggested and is not afraid
of hard work. Doesn't let things upset him on the court. This kind of character reminds me as well of Ray A. ("everyday Ray"). If he continues to be teachable and work real hard I think his upside is very high and will continue to "surprise people".

Reaction Score
damn these are some great points, if we can stay healthy next year, the backcourt is going to be downright filthy. It's a spoil of riches! Who comes off the bench? Who cares!? When Ollie goes to the bench he will be bringing out guys that nobody wants to see out there. Maybe Alterique is the primary ballhandler, with Jalen as an SG to start, but when we pull Alterique, Jalen becomes primary ball-handler, and Vital is SG. Add in MAL floating around, Jackson and Larrier at the 3 spot.. I like it.

We will likely take a step back with the bigs losing our two starters, but let's be honest, we've done some great things with a super talented back court and untalented bigs who just did some things in the right moments

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom