Vital has earned his season pass! | The Boneyard

Vital has earned his season pass!

Reaction Score
No more doubters, haters or dismissal of his abilities. Sure he may not be an AA (yet), but he has proven he's a Div 1 baller deserving of his UConn uniform.

Complain all you want about his mistakes, bad decisions and/or shot selection during and after games, but like Jalen, never doubt if he belongs.

He's just getting started.

He's a keeper and I can see why some recent recruits looked elsewhere.

It's okay to blame him for that. :)

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Getting 11 from the line shows he was taking it to the rim - that's great to see. 10 threes is a few too many. There were two not in the flow that were way too deep that lead to threes the other way. He had two assists and probably should have had two more. Add in 5 boards and overall, a great day for Vital. Obviously an incredibly important piece going forward. Wouldn't be surprised to see him take the starting spot from Gilbert if Gilbert doesn't knock the rust off soon.

Reaction Score
No one ever doubted him but today was the first time in 3 games he played like he did last year. Didn't hang around the 3 point line, mixed it up underneath, filled lanes on the break and went to the hoop strong. Defensive rebounded or fought at least too, played like that kid we knew good to see. Now a couple others need to figure that out too.

Reaction Score
Getting 11 from the line shows he was taking it to the rim - that's great to see. 10 threes is a few too many. There were two not in the flow that were way too deep that lead to threes the other way. He had two assists and probably should have had two more. Add in 5 boards and overall, a great day for Vital. Obviously an incredibly important piece going forward. Wouldn't be surprised to see him take the starting spot from Gilbert if Gilbert doesn't knock the rust off soon.
I'm sure the staff is working on it and its tough to break bad habits, but Gilbert really needs to learn to not overpenetrate. When you're like 5'9" you have to go to a floater or pull up early (which I saw he did once in the second half). He's been getting easily blocked or blocked by the rim 5 times each game, he needs a visit from Jeremy Lamb to work on a nice floater, he'd be deadly

Reaction Score
I'm sure the staff is working on it and its tough to break bad habits, but Gilbert really needs to learn to not overpenetrate. When you're like 5'9" you have to go to a floater or pull up early (which I saw he did once in the second half). He's been getting easily blocked or blocked by the rim 5 times each game, he needs a visit from Jeremy Lamb to work on a nice floater, he'd be deadly
He could use a visit from Boat too. He had the same issue early on in his uconn career but fixed and became an animal going ot the basket.

Reaction Score
Why aren’t his coaches on this?

Reaction Score
Why aren’t his coaches on this?
How do you know they're not? Old habits are hard to break, plus he is shaking off rust. Its not a video game where you can direct him to do what you want using a controller.

Reaction Score
No passes. He just joined the party. Need everyone to step up

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I wouldn't expect it this year necessarily. Kemba didn't work it out his freshman year either. Takes a while to learn not to both over penetrate, and to change speeds effectively, rather than going full tilt all the time. The latter often causing the former.

Reaction Score
He simply is - or at least is on the cusp of becoming - a damn good college basketball player. In other words, he's about as good a player as you are going to find who is pretty much a lock to play four years. It will remain to be seen how good he gets, but for now he's definitely a player I could see being in the mix for all-conference in a league like the A-10. He'll probably be third or fourth in the pecking order here, for this season at least, but he's just a really solid all-around player who knows the game and can put the ball in the basket.

I don't really think ten threes is too many for him so long as they're within the flow of the offense - there were maybe one or two tonight you'd have preferred he hold off on, but one of the bad misses was late in the shot clock and you have to give your guys at least a little freedom to find their rhythm. As much as you want your offense to be a methodical machine that churns out A+ shots every possession, you're not going to be able to censor every thought or instinct your players have.

Tangentially, I find that he and Adams complement each other better than do Adams and Gilbert. Adams and Vital are more comfortable together, plus their skill sets simply align more at this point in time. Vital is more somebody who spots up - and has grown subtly adept at drifting to open space in concert with Adams' drives - and can take you off the bounce as a one cut, single read guy from the perimeter. Gilbert is more wired to have the ball in his hands and probe until an initial rift opens up. They'll figure it out in time, and I'm certainly not suggesting that they can't play together, but I don't think it's a coincidence that we made our run in the first half with Adams/Vital/Anderson/Larrier/Carlton. Roles are more solidified with that group on the floor.

Reaction Score
Vital absolutely proved himself last year as a freshman. I've been baffled by people saying stuff like "he'll be a decent backup." People should be really excited about this kid (especially considering where he was ranked). I'm not saying he's going to be the next Kemba or Ben Gordon, but he has a GREAT work ethic, is multi-dimensional, athletic, enthusiastic, and can score. He's a well rounded player, he's proven himself against high level teams as a freshman, and now he has experience. He had a really nice freshman year, and I expect he will keep improving, based on his skills, and especially his work ethic. He's only three games into his sophomore year. There's a lot to be excited about with CV.

Reaction Score
He shot the ball well but the best thing he did? Was take it to the hole, finish and get to the free throw line!!! In basketball you need that from your guards... Thats what separates the low mid major teams and the good ones. If we can get Jalen and AG to start playing like that nothing will stop us. I hope CV keeps it up. I think this raises the bar for him. This should be the new norm.. Obviously he wont score that many points all of the time but he needs to keep mixing it up taking it to the hole and getting to FT line in addition to take the threes.

Reaction Score
Many people seemed to really enjoy talking about getting beat by cupcakes last year so why not give the guys some credit when its due?

Vital had a great game and I have been giving the guys credit but a season pass is a bit dramatic.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Many here bashed everyone last year when we got beat by "cupcakes"
Why not spread some goodwill when we beat some cupcakes - especially when someone goes off and cashes in 30 pts
Can't be a downer all the time

Reaction Score
Vital had a great game and I have been giving the guys credit but a season pass is a bit dramatic.

3 games in no one gets a season pass. But it was nice to see him shake off the 1st 2 as he is a key ingredient to winning for this team. I think if nothing else the way he played the first 2 games some may have a small inkling of a sophomore slump and now know he's back to playing hard-nosed, scrappy basketball as he did the year before. Long way to go for this team wish I could have more confidence in how it will play out but have to say anything can happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom