OT: - Visiting Campus | The Boneyard

OT: Visiting Campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I haven’t been back in several years except for a couple of night basketball games and one soccer game. Visiting with my daughter for a campus tour on Saturday at 11:30. Looks like a nice day. I look forward to getting a more detailed view of just how much they’ve spruced the place up. Looks like the visitor center is next to Ted’s.

Aside from the tour and the obvious trip to the Dairy Bar, is there a preferred spot for lunch? I think seeing Storrs Central would be a plus. She tends to like eclectic things (didn’t like Fairfield where all the kids looked and dressed the same) so I’d like to show that side of UConn. This is her first real visit to a public university (she did a drive through at KU).

edit: tried to mark this OT. Not sure why it didn’t take.

Reaction Score
When walking on campus:

* Go to the top floor of Homer Babbage and take in the panoramic view from different vistas.

* Park near the equestrian area of Horsebarn Hill and do a lap around the area. What other campus has that? Lived my senior year at a single in Whitney Hall and it was an absolute dream with their incredible dining hall in the basement (lots of organic and local options).

C

Chief00

I haven’t been back in several years except for a couple of night basketball games and one soccer game. Visiting with my daughter for a campus tour on Saturday at 11:30. Looks like a nice day. I look forward to getting a more detailed view of just how much they’ve spruced the place up. Looks like the visitor center is next to Ted’s.

Aside from the tour and the obvious trip to the Dairy Bar, is there a preferred spot for lunch? I think seeing Storrs Central would be a plus. She tends to like eclectic things (didn’t like Fairfield where all the kids looked and dressed the same) so I’d like to show that side of UConn. This is her first real visit to a public university (she did a drive through at KU).

Dog Lane Cafe for lunch might work and Blaze Pizza is a franchise type place but you could see other college kids. Lots of diversity at UConn now, so that won’t be a problem. Have a nice visit.

Reaction Score
When walking on campus:

* Go to the top floor of Homer Babbage and take in the panoramic view from different vistas.

* Park near the equestrian area of Horsebarn Hill and do a lap around the area. What other campus has that? Lived my senior year at a single in Whitney Hall and it was an absolute dream with their incredible dining hall in the basement (lots of organic and local options).

The food was good but the pervasive BO of white kids with dreadlocks that used natural deodorant was hard to tolerate while eating.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’d be curious to hear what her impressions are.

Geno’s restaurant is decent and kind of neat to eat there if she’s a fan. If not consider Willington Pizza

I’m sure the tour will take her through the student union, but that’s typically a high energy place that might interest her.

I’m not sure how much she is interested in taking pictures on her tour, but the swing at Mirror Lake is a good spot as is the new big metal UConn sign and of course the Jonathan statue by Gampel.

Consider going to the Husky basketball museum in Werth. It’s very cool with interactive exhibits. But that may be more of a you thing than a her thing.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Dog Lane Cafe is probably your best bet for lunch if you want to check out Storrs Center. Otherwise, checking out an actual dining hall on campus is always a good idea for a campus visit to give you a sense of what the food and scene are like.

Willimantic Brewing is probably the place you would like best. Good house beers, great guest taps and above average pub food (especially great wings and nachos).

Reaction Score
Dog Lane Cafe is probably your best bet for lunch if you want to check out Storrs Center. Otherwise, checking out an actual dining hall on campus is always a good idea for a campus visit to give you a sense of what the food and scene are like.

Willimantic Brewing is probably the place you would like best. Good house beers, great guest taps and above average pub food (especially great wings and nachos).

both are good thoughts

The campus has many many good food opportunities for 15-24 demographic. Ge no’s is a decently priced nice sit down adult restaurant.

But ... there’s not quality sustainable mixed use for a real collegetown community. The population of Students, Faculty, Staff, Ancillary has grown. But it is still what I remember ... island in the woods of Northeast Connecticut. Hang out with 1000s of others your age. Road trips are short & lots of kids have cars - so all the New England colleges seemed like good visits. NYC (a friend had Ranger tickets) & Boston often.

I was involved in the winning RFP for Storrs Center; and it hasn’t really achieved the original goal. (First developer got cash poor) the Price Chopper grocery is a nice add. The one thing the Surveys found was how frequent kids made the trip to Mohegan Sun & Foxwoods. I never would have guessed that.

Given what I know about campus development, more will come to Mansfield/Storrs in the next 10 years.

CL82

Reaction Score
I was involved in the winning RFP for Storrs Center; and it hasn’t really achieved the original goal
How so?

Reaction Score
Don't forget to look in Homer Babbage on the way up. It's one of the best libraries around.
Do lots of walking - it's the tradition of UConn students. Walk walk walk

CL82

Reaction Score
Tuxedo NY group won the RFP (seems like 2004) & I worked for Montreal based firm they hired.
No I meant how didn't it fulfill its original goal.

Reaction Score

Not sure if the tour will take you through here but check out the area between the Benton Art Gallery and Wilbur Cross. Prettiest spot on campus imo.

Then walk down the sidewalk that goes in front of Wilburn Cross to the little rotary

Reaction Score
My opinion ...

First the Oaks isn’t the type of student housing developed all over on campuses throughout the USA from 2004 to present. It turned a little hybrid & that was the intent. But I don’t think it was sufficiently differentiated to achieve meeting both student & young adult demand.

The Mix of retail? The original pitch was Disneyland like. What is there - CVS, Subway, Chipotle - is predictable; there was supposed to be a great reach to attract Statewide notables. Imagine if you actually did get - Pepe’s for pizza or some other adult restaurant from the State - and the leasing was hodgepodge.

The central square was always a solid part of the Plan. But I remember kiosks & other ideas that would make it more active Sept to June. And used - I’m not around often however I bet they don’t have as many live performances as I’d like.

I was in Storrs this summer. There’s people around ... but it’s as dead as you’d imagine. Scale & Mix was intended to change that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don't forget to look in Homer Babbage on the way up. It's one of the best libraries around.
Do lots of walking - it's the tradition of UConn students. Walk walk walk

I suspect the tour will hit the library. All the others have. My recollection of it was that it was an ugly thing with falling bricks.

Reaction Score
I suspect the tour will hit the library. All the others have. My recollection of it was that it was an ugly thing with falling bricks.

Nope. It was falling apart.

Today it is really well done. Lots of great places to study / hang out. I have never tried to find anything there ... but the Computers are user friendly for a NON student faculty taxpayer

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how much she is interested in taking pictures on her tour, but the swing at Mirror Lake is a good spot as is the new big metal UConn sign and of course the Jonathan statue by Gampel.

Unfortunately, the tree that the swing was attached to died last year and was cut down over the summer.

Reaction Score
The old part of campus near the Benton is a great place to walk through. May have a good exhibit as well. Huskies tavern makes a great burger.

UConn needs a Hilton or Marriott. Curious if that was part of the original plan for Storrs Center?

CL82

Reaction Score
The old part of campus near the Benton is a great place to walk through. May have a good exhibit as well. Huskies tavern makes a great burger.

UConn needs a Hilton or Marriott. Curious if that was part of the original plan for Storrs Center?
I believe they recently put a RFP out for a new hotel.

Reaction Score

never
No Hotel feasibility study would ever support that

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

That is a Hotel company that owns hotels at many major State U campuses. Obviously they bought the former Nathan Hale (formerly poorly run by the University). I hope they do well ... and improve the concept.

Reaction Score
The Graduate is an awesome brand
They just opened one in New Haven @ Yale

>>Most notably, two pay phone booths stand in the lobby, providing a direct line to two of the famous New Haven pizza restaurants: Pepe’s and Modern Apizza. Guests will be able to place an order in one of the phone booths, and the hotel will handle the order for the customer.<<

Reaction Score
Graduate Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI
Gradaute Annapolis
Annapolis, MD
Graduate Athens
Athens, GA
Graduate Berkeley
Berkeley, CA
Graduate Bloomington
Bloomington, IN
Graduate Charlottesville
Charlottesville, VA
Graduate Columbia
Columbia, SC
Graduate Columbus
Columbus, OH
Graduate Eugene
Eugene, OR
Graduate Fayetteville
Fayetteville, AR
Graduate Iowa City
Iowa City, IA
Graduate Lincoln
Lincoln, NE
Graduate Madison
Madison, WI
Graduate Minneapolis
Minneapolis, MN
Graduate New Haven
New Haven, CT
Graduate Oxford
Oxford, MS
Graduate Providence
Providence, RI
Graduate Richmond
Richmond, VA
Graduate Seattle
Seattle, WA
Graduate State College
State College, PA
Graduate Tempe
Tempe, AZ

Graduate Nashville
Fall 2019

Coming Soon

Graduate Nashville
Graduate Storrs
Graduate Knoxville
Graduate Roosevelt Island
Graduate Dallas
Graduate Palo Alto
Graduate East Lansing
Graduate Cincinnati
Graduate Chapel Hill
Graduate Cambridge, UK
Graduate Tucson
Graduate Evanston

I guess WE hit the BIGTIME ...

(it almost is one of those quizzes ... which one doesn't belong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom