Virginia WBB opts out of rest of season | The Boneyard

Virginia WBB opts out of rest of season

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I read somewhere that they were down to 7 healthy players... I know they have been in the protocol since the middle of December.

Record has a lot to do with it. Just look at the records at the teams that have stopped playing.

When an undefeated or 1-loss team ends their season, then they will have my attention.

Duke had one loss.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The pressure on these kids is significant. They are trying to stay focused on basketball on campuses that look like ghost towns, taking classes remotely, fearful of both getting infected and infecting others. Win or lose, none of these kids came to college expecting this situation. I think the combination of both losing games and losing teammates infected by the virus, for whatever period of time they are out, is a devastating emotional drain on these kids.

Reaction Score
The pressure on these kids is significant. They are trying to stay focused on basketball on campuses that look like ghost towns, taking classes remotely, fearful of both getting infected and infecting others. Win or lose, none of these kids came to college expecting this situation. I think the combination of both losing games and losing teammates infected by the virus, for whatever period of time they are out, is a devastating emotional drain on these kids.
Well stated

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
1 Loss on 12/10/2010 is a lot different than 1 loss on 1/14/2021.
Maybe they should have quit a day earlier then they would have been undefeated.

dr.gif

I aint trying to get banned this early in the calendar, so I'll reply with a pic

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

UVA cancelling the rest of the season actually came up today on the Statewide Sports Radio show earlier... The host was sharing pretty much the same sentiment.. about the stress on these young students.... and added that these were UNPAID athletes as well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes their record helped in the decision. But just think beyond the cynicism. This team has already cancelled 6 games this year so far with the prospect for more on the way down the road. How in the world is this coach supposed to get the necessary court reps for this team to be ready for the conference championships? With every team the staccato nature of the season is playing havoc with team chemistry, conditioning and player consistency. It's even worse for a team that is 0-5. It seems that few people on the BY agree with me, but in watching WCBB I see tons of players out of shape, I see teams that have trouble executing simple offensive sets, and the pace of the games I see aren't nearly what they should be at this time of year. How much better is this COVID situation going to get between now and March? Not much. Worse, some teams, UConn included, are going to struggle getting in the required 13 games. What then? Again, I'm in favor of the NCAA delaying the tourney until May or June.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thank you.

Reaction Score
Yes their record helped in the decision. But just think beyond the cynicism. This team has already cancelled 6 games this year so far with the prospect for more on the way down the road. How in the world is this coach supposed to get the necessary court reps for this team to be ready for the conference championships? With every team the staccato nature of the season is playing havoc with team chemistry, conditioning and player consistency. It's even worse for a team that is 0-5. It seems that few people on the BY agree with me, but in watching WCBB I see tons of players out of shape, I see teams that have trouble executing simple offensive sets, and the pace of the games I see aren't nearly what they should be at this time of year. How much better is this COVID situation going to get between now and March? Not much. Worse, some teams, UConn included, are going to struggle getting in the required 13 games. What then? Again, I'm in favor of the NCAA delaying the tourney until May or June.
I agree with you 100 percent. I seen What Covid can do and very quickly, Jordy!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree with you 100 percent. I seen What Covid can do and very quickly, Jordy!
So have I. I've said it before, but 4 people now in my building have died from COVID related illnesses.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Stay safe.
Thanks. You as well. I had this virus at the end of February. I think, and scientists (very) cautiously agree that my type O positive blood type and good health spared me the worst of it. Two days of bewildering misery and 12 days of cold symptoms. I'm getting the vaccine anyway when it comes around to me.

Reaction Score
So have I. I've said it before, but 4 people now in my building have died from COVID related illnesses.
Sorry to hear that! I watched my wing in rehab from surgery in a matter of 10 days 28 out of 30 got sick with 5 deaths. The speed of it is devastating.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
I read somewhere that they were down to 7 healthy players... I know they have been in the protocol since the middle of December.

Duke had one loss.

Yeah, but Duke's one loss was a program crushing loss to Louisville. Duke knew right then and there they were far inferior and that is not the Duke way. They were able to save face by cancelling when all signs were pointing to the wheels coming completely off the program right at that time anyway. My sources tell me that all the girls wanted to quit basketball in shame after that game so Coach Lawson came up with the scheme to pretend to cancel the season due to Covid.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that! I watched my wing in rehab from surgery in a matter of 10 days 28 out of 30 got sick with 5 deaths. The speed of it is devastating.
I gave you a like but it's filled with sorrow. Get healthy, stay healthy, and get home quick buddy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom