Virginia Tech? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Virginia Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Ice will be a factor next year but if I was a betting girl I would put my money on Jana to step into Dorka's place. She has guard skills and is 6'4" and has had a year to learn UCONNs way of playing and get into the condition she needs to be.
That’s the way I see it. Based on the very limited videos posted here. She has to prove that her game can/will translate to this elite level of WCBB. She has a lot to learn between now nad November. It can be done. Remember the freshman year Aliyah Boston had.

We won't know how much Amari will improve her play next season. That's a wait and see proposition. Ice Brady was a very good player in high school, I think she will be a very good player at this level as well. At 6'3", she will be playing against taller post players. She needs to have or acquire some Aneesah Morrow qualities about her. Morrow is only 6'1", but she is a "consistent" double-double producer. The post position is wide open next season for whoever wants to claim it.

Reaction Score
That’s the way I see it. Based on the very limited videos posted here. She has to prove that her game can/will translate to this elite level of WCBB. We won't know how much Amari will improve her play next season. That's a wait and see proposition. Ice Brady was a very good player in high school, I think she will be a very good player at this level as well. At 6'3", she will be playing against taller post players. She needs to have or acquire some Aneesah Morrow qualities about her. Morrow is only 6'1", but she is a "consistent" double-double producer. The post position is wide open next season for whoever wants to claim it.
Aaliyah is 6’3m. Ice is 6’4”- definitely looks taller than Aaliyah when they are side by side.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Aaliyah won’t matchup with Kitley, Dorka will. Still, Aaliyah is clearly stronger than Kitley and quicker, though Kitley has really good post moves. We can use Aaliyah and Dorka to break a press. No way Kitley can do that.

Reaction Score
That’s the way I see it. Based on the very limited videos posted here. She has to prove that her game can/will translate to this elite level of WCBB. She has a lot to learn between now nad November. It can be done. Remember the freshman year Aliyah Boston had.

We won't know how much Amari will improve her play next season. That's a wait and see proposition. Ice Brady was a very good player in high school, I think she will be a very good player at this level as well. At 6'3", she will be playing against taller post players. She needs to have or acquire some Aneesah Morrow qualities about her. Morrow is only 6'1", but she is a "consistent" double-double producer. The post position is wide open next season for whoever wants to claim it.
Last summer, pre-injury, Geno said he thought Ice could contribute right away. This is also what I saw in the USA BB games. Those are against all stars, not just miscellaneous 14-17 year olds like most HS games. Ice stood out as a major force in those games, and that was playing next to Betts and Del Rosario. I take that as a pretty good indicator.

Reaction Score
Generally I’m not a betting man but if I can get 20:1 odds on our UConn women taking it all, i might just become one-just this once
You won’t find that now. I got +1200 many weeks ago. Now at +800.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
can someone explain what these odds mean?

If odds start with -, it’s the amount you have to bet to win one hundred dollars. So for example,
If you bet $165 that SC wins it all, you’ll receive that amount back plus another $100 if they win.

If odds start with +, it’s the return on your bet for betting $100. So if you bet $100 that UCONN wins it all and they win, you’ll get your money, plus an additional $700 back.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Last summer, pre-injury, Geno said he thought Ice could contribute right away. This is also what I saw in the USA BB games. Those are against all stars, not just miscellaneous 14-17 year olds like most HS games. Ice stood out as a major force in those games, and that was playing next to Betts and Del Rosario. I take that as a pretty good indicator.
I don't want to count Amari out by any means. She's still got two more years left, and I'm hoping she'll make that leap to become part of the regular rotation. Between Amari, Ice, and Jana, I really think they should have the post covered next season to Geno's satisfaction. We'll see. Two 6'5" players and a 6'3". Plenty of playing time over the course of the season for all.

Reaction Score
I don't want to count Amari out by any means. She's still got two more years left, and I'm hoping she'll make that leap to become part of the regular rotation. Between Amari, Ice, and Jana, I really think they should have the post covered next season to Geno's satisfaction. We'll see. Two 6'5" players and a 6'3". Plenty of playing time over the course of the season for all.
… and maybe he should mulkey up the schedule so Amari can get a lot of easy minutes early on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
… and maybe he should mulkey up the schedule so Amari can get a lot of easy minutes early on.
I have always used “cupcake schedule” as my go to remark when referring to an exceptionally weak OOC schedule. But I now plan to plagiarize your comment “Mulkey up the schedule” from here on…:D

Reaction Score
I have always used “cupcake schedule” as my go to remark when referring to an exceptionally weak OOC schedule. But I now plan to plagiarize your comment “Mulkey up the schedule” from here on…:D
Not to pick nits but the phrase as defined is "mulkey up the schedule" not "Mulkey up the schedule." The lower case "m" is important because it implies that the referenced element is self evident and of such common knowledge in the given context that capitalizing the letter is no longer required.

Reaction Score
Regarding Amari's future potential, Geno has been quoted a few times saying if a player doesn't "get it" by end of sophomore year it is unlikely to happen. I am not going to argue with that point of view.

Reaction Score
I don't know that UConn's going to win the National Championship this year but I just have a feeling this South Carolina team is going to get upset.
I get that feeling too. It’s reminding me of Baylor in 2013 or UConn in 2017 & 2018 … a team just goes off from the perimeter and makes 17 3pt shots or gets miracle shot at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Amari will get stronger and more nimble of foot in the off season. I don't think that it is will that is holding her back. She has spent 2 years on the bench observing the D 1 game. It should have clicked by now. I've watched her closely in on court situations and it appears that she is just not nimble of foot. She can not get to where she needs to be quick enough. That comes from not playing great competition when she was younger. Doubt she will completely transform while she is in college. Yet, by the time pro time comes, she may be a workable project for some team. Eventually she will pick up the game and craft, for herself, a role that she can play on a first rate team. I have confidence in her will ultimately winning out. i.e., I believe that she really wants to be Uconn good, as a big. But can she make it happen?

Reaction Score
Hopefully, Amari will get stronger and more nimble of foot in the off season. I don't think that it is will that is holding her back. She has spent 2 years on the bench observing the D 1 game. It should have clicked by now. I've watched her closely in on court situations and it appears that she is just not nimble of foot. She can not get to where she needs to be quick enough. That comes from not playing great competition when she was younger. Doubt she will completely transform while she is in college. Yet, by the time pro time comes, she may be a workable project for some team. Eventually she will pick up the game and craft, for herself, a role that she can play on a first rate team. I have confidence in her will ultimately winning out. i.e., I believe that she really wants to be Uconn good, as a big. But can she make it happen?
I hope so. She looks like a tall 6’5” to me, with long arms and legs. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s closer to 6’6”. Develop some better foot speed and skills and she could get picked up by some pro team.

Reaction Score
Amari needs to spend the summer playing against women who are bigger and stronger than her. She was disadvantaged in high school by being the biggest girl and she didn't have rigorous competition. Now, she needs strength and speed, agility and touch which she didn't need earlier. Maybe she needs to spend a summer down in Australia playing and working out with bigger pro's. Don't think she can get the work she need her in the USA. I think she has the will and heart to be a big (i.e., a banger and tough rebounder). She needs to hang out with Steph Dolson, Tina Charles, and Kiah Stokes for a summer. Learn how to be a bulldog!!!!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If Amari doesn't greatly improve over the summer, she is out and won't see any PT. She is not physical, and she is not aggressive. She plays as if she is out there alone in the gym just taking shots. Ice and Jana will start the season ahead of her on the depth chart, so in order to play she will have to beat out both of them in order to get to play. I like Amari, but to be honest, I will not bet the farm on her becoming an impact player for UConn next year. To be proven wrong would give us the best post game in the country, but unfortunately, I won't count on it.

Reaction Score
Having watched Ice in HS, she has Edwards like skills and has had a year to get stronger and analyze how her game needs to grow. Smart player-predict she will start with Jana the first big off the bench. Jana appears to have a strong basketball IQ with both offensive and defensive upside over UConn's other bigs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Amari doesn't greatly improve over the summer, she is out and won't see any PT. She is not physical, and she is not aggressive. She plays as if she is out there alone in the gym just taking shots. Ice and Jana will start the season ahead of her on the depth chart, so in order to play she will have to beat out both of them in order to get to play. I like Amari, but to be honest, I will not bet the farm on her becoming an impact player for UConn next year. To be proven wrong would give us the best post game in the country, but unfortunately, I won't count on it.
How do you solve a problem like Amari? She clearly has some very nice skills for a BIG. IMO, the biggest challenge for Amari is to adapt to the speed of the game. She’s a step slow in everything she does.

I don’t know if it’s fixable. But it has to start at practice, where she has the opportunity to go against some outstanding BIGs every day. Unfortunately, as a result of all the injuries and a short roster, UConn hasn’t been going as hard or as long in practice as in prior seasons.

Unless the game slows down for Amari, she will never reach the level of performance that we all hope she’s capable of.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’ve read the above critiques of Amari. I’m still a big fan of hers and have not given up on her, but I can’t argue with anything that’s been said here. The observations noted all pointed-out areas of her game that need improvement. I co-sign on every one of them.

I will only add one more observation. I defer to a song by Elvis Presley that I think perfectly illustrates her situation........”it’s now or never.” Time is running out. Geno needs to do something. Find someone in or out of house that can/will work with Amari to raise the level and quality of her game to where it needs to be both physically and mentally.

She needs to raise her level of aggression and awareness on the court. She can be as good as she wants to be. If she wants to play and be part of the rotation in the post, a significant improvement must take place this spring and summer.

I’ve got every body part that can be crossed - crossed. I’m really pulling for her, but she must understand that as others have noted, Geno has options next year for post-play that may not include her. It’s time for her to seriously to get to work!!! A workable plan of action for her needs to be developed and stringently followed throughout the spring and summer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How do you solve a problem like Amari? She clearly has some very nice skills for a BIG. IMO, the biggest challenge for Amari is to adapt to the speed of the game. She’s a step slow in everything she does.

I don’t know if it’s fixable. But it has to start at practice, where she has the opportunity to go against some outstanding BIGs every day. Unfortunately, as a result of all the injuries and a short roster, UConn hasn’t been going as hard or as long in practice as in prior seasons.

Unless the game slows down for Amari, she will never reach the level of performance that we all hope she’s capable of.
Reminds me of a famous song. Lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not saying you're wrong but 2 of my 3 brackets, I picked UCONN to upset SC. The game at Storrs showed me with Azzi, it would've been a W
Who did you have us upsetting in the last bracket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom