Villanova post game thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Villanova post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Huskies didn’t have enough players to press or play man for long. Fatigue was an issue

Even without the degree of difficulty that an injury and covid plagued season has presented to fielding a well conditioned team, it’s pretty tough to ask players to play 35-40 minutes of a division one game and be prepared to pressure and trap for more than a few possessions. Fatigue makes a coward of everyone who has ever played, and before being critical about the lack of pressing or trapping earlier you might ask yourself how many times you were able to practice it with only the players who were available in tonight’s game, some of which were in foul trouble & were probably playing in a different position when they did practice it.

JMO

Reaction Score
I don't think this one is going to see the light of day. Unless ONO says something I think the reason will stay under wraps.
As well it should in my opinion. As much as many of those can complain about ONO swatting, she is a gamer. Myself I hope she improves her drop step to stop the traveling calls. Her presence on the bench tonight has a lot of the nay sayers shooting themselves in the foot.
This game showed with her absence what a lot of critics have underestimated tonight. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The 16 point loss to SC earlier this season was far worst than this loss to Villanova.
UCONN was most healthy only missing Aubrey. UCONN was playing pretty much the same SC team which we had beat the year before and had added Azzi, Caroline and Dorka. This loss you can easily attribute to any one of the injuries to 3 different starters. That SC game was a beatdown.
Azzi was already physically not right (3 games in 3 days), and Caroline was not even visible back then. Pageitis (over reliance on Paige set in in the 2nd half) . The SC loss does not shake the confidence like this one did especially coming off the TN win.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Does anyone else wonder why, in a game we are short of players and are getting out rebounded badly, DeBerry can't get even a minute's playing time ?
Because Villanova spreads the floor with 5 players and Amari would have been lost out there trying to guard one of Nova's forwards on the perimeter.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don’t ever want to see any ONO hate for the rest of the season. Tonight proved how crucial she is for this team
I second that. I’ve said many times that UConn is a different team when ONO is on the bench. If ONO or Ducharme had played tonight, we win. I’m not mad at anyone, I’m not throwing shade, and I’m not pointing fingers.

It was Villanova’s night. They shot 51.8% from the field, and out rebounded us 37-21. They were aggressive all night. At times, they out hustled us for loose balls. At other times they didn't. Kudos to our girls for closing the gap at the end. This was not our night. Let's see if they can play us this well at their place in the rematch.

A tip ‘o the turban to the Wildcats. They played an exceptional game tonight.

Last edited:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

As usual not giving credit to the other team. Forget about rankings. The point is they played liked a "ranked" team tonight. That's all that matters. We did not lose to a team that played poorly tonight. It happens. Not the end of the world. We will be back in a big way.

Reaction Score
She had 24 points, shot 60% (9-15), 4-5 from three, 3 rebounds, and 2 steals. And Christyn is blaming herself?

She did not blame herself for her play. As a leader she blamed herself for the team not being ready to play (maybe that should be on the coaching staff instead, or just the situation).

Reaction Score
As well it should in my opinion. As much as many of those can complain about ONO swatting, she is a gamer. Myself I hope she improves her drop step to stop the traveling calls. Her presence on the bench tonight has a lot of the nay sayers shooting themselves in the foot.
This game showed with her absence what a lot of critics have underestimated tonight. ;)
I've said for 2 years that she is basically their whole interior defense. But regarding the drop step, that should have happened 2+ years ago.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Muhl had 4 T/O's and two of those were not her fault. On one of them as she let go of the ball the player she was passing to moved from their position and the other was a traveling call that Meg stated that Muhl was fouled and that was what caused her to travel. She had the most assists 6, was tied for second in rebounding, 4 with Azzi, third in scoring, and shot 50% from 3.
Nika crippled the UCONN offense tonight by over dribbling and picking up her dribble in the middle of the court for no apparent reason way too many times. She also passed up some critical shots when Azzi was getting harassed by two + defenders as UCONN was making a comeback. She simply does not have the ability to optimally facilitate this offense which requires timely passing to the post players and cutters when they are open. The wing players (Caroline, Azzi, and Christyn) all have to work way too hard to make this offense work while Nika is out top patting the rock and pointing at air. I might as well get this off my chest as well- Nika act of complaining to the refs after every stinking call is getting tired. The refs are human beings also, you simply don't build any credibility with the refs by complaining about every stinking call, especially when some of your fouls would qualify as assault in 48 of the 50 states.

Reaction Score
Because Villanova spreads the floor with 5 players and Amari would have been lost out there trying to guard one of Nova's forwards on the perimeter.
I agree. She would've looked like she was stuck in a revolving door.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Azzi was already physically not right (3 games in 3 days), and Caroline was not even visible back then. Pageitis (over reliance on Paige set in in the 2nd half) . The SC loss does not shake the confidence like this one did especially coming off the TN win.
I still disagree. The loss to SC was with Paige and 5 returning starters from a FF team and was by 16 points.

Reaction Score
Oh so Dorka was the reason the team lost? If Villanova made their foul shots at the end UCONN never would have got back in the game

Reaction Score
Tough loss. I tip my hat to Villanova. They came out and played a solid game. They were knocking down shots left and right! I applaud our beloved UConn squad. This year, like others have stated, has been one for the ages! So many ups and downs. I just hope that the players don't get down on themselves after a game like tonight. Just stay positive, stay healthy, and be there for each other. Lift one another up.

Reaction Score
It's late at night, and I know many are feeling as bummed and/or frustrated with (take your pick) the game, the team, certain players, certain circumstances, etc., as I am. I just wanted to say two things:

(1) As bummed and/or frustrated we as mere fans feel, it can't compare to how the team is feeling right now. Just imagine, it's on them that the 160+game streak was snapped. If it were me, I'd feel horrible about that.

(2) I have a lot of respect for CW for saying what she did about taking responsibility. That showed great character. I hope that going forward, she can inspire the team to show similar great character, bounce back stronger from this loss, and start a new streak.

Reaction Score
I was traveling this afternoon. Got off the plane and turned on my phone. Told my wife I was on the ground and she said she’s glad I was safe. Then she said, UConn game isn’t good…………

Reaction Score
Out rebounded by 16...only 2 players in double digits. You can't win that way. What a strange season this is, so far. We did well considering only 6 players were available.
No we didn't, stop making excuses they played terrible! Besides Azzi and Williams they got beat all night and the defense was terrible just like the offense. I can't understand how this team has so many long lasting injuries. They need to take a look at their training and medical staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom