Villanova at Providence | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Villanova at Providence

Who will win tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Who's in first. CBS said first place was on the line and then said Nova had sole possession of it. PC has a higher winning percentage but Nova is 1/2 a game ahead.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Who's in first. CBS said first place was on the line and then said Nova had sole possession of it. PC has a higher winning percentage but Nova is 1/2 a game ahead.

It's most likely to come down to winning percentage

Reaction Score
Calhoun knew how to play the game better than anyone and UConn benefitted from calls as much as anyone.

He knew what to say/do to get T'd up and he knew when one was necessary to get the refs to change how they're calling the game and to light a fire under his team. Half the reason Calhoun got a favorable whistle is because he would intimidate the refs.
I agree. I knew what I said would be interpreted by some to mean that I disagree with how Calhoun or Hurley act, which wasn't the case at all. Wright has a different approach and it works for him.

Reaction Score
Remember when you lost by double digits to this same team without Justin Moore, and minus Gillespie for the majority of 2H? I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the rest of this thread. 90% of posters here are calling a spade a spade saying it was a great game between two great teams.
1645031889796.png

Reaction Score
No offensive flow? There were 173 points scored in the game. I believe the vegas O/U line was 129.5 and it was smashed. That is a stange take.
Congrats are in order for XLCenterFieldFan (I might not be remembering his username exactly) as he bet the over 129.5

Reaction Score
it has to since they wont play the same number of games

if they both win out PC finishes 15-2 (.88) and Nova finishes 17-3 (.85)

PC still controls their own destiny

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

They still play at nova so they can’t both finish with those records

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Believe me, every coach brings it up pre game to the refs. Big East refs kiss Wrights butt and won’t call it. What might happen to Nova in the tournament is some ref who doesn’t bow down to Jay Wright just may call it.
I never worried about being beaten up by Pitt in the NCAA Tournament, because I knew they'd be checked by non-Big East refs before we'd ever have to face them again.

Part of Calhoun's mastery in winning 3 NCs was being able to face the best teams from a variety of conferences, once the Big East battles had toughened his teams beyond limits generally allowed in the 64 team field. Wright's recent Tournament performance performance has displayed a similar 'tough enough, but can play with finesse' flexibility.

Reaction Score
All sites list PC first with the higher percentage. It just seemed odd that CBS repeated that nova was in first place.

PC - @ Butler, Xavier, Creighton, @ Nova'
Nova - Georgetown, @ UCONN, PC, @ Butler
UCONN - SHU, Xavier, Nova, @ Georgetown, @ Creighton, DePaul
Creighton - @ DePaul, Marquette, @ SJU, @ PC, UCONN, SHU

Reaction Score
No offensive flow? There were 173 points scored in the game. I believe the vegas O/U line was 129.5 and it was smashed. That is a stange take.
So there are 53 foul shots between the 2 teams and Providence shot 21% from 3. What I’m saying is that yes they scored points and a lot of them are layups, putbacks and foul shots on both sides. It was fight club with a ball. There were 43 fouls and they probably should have called another 10.

Reaction Score
Remember when you lost by double digits to this same team without Justin Moore, and minus Gillespie for the majority of 2H? I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the rest of this thread. 90% of posters here are calling a spade a spade saying it was a great game between two great teams.
A UConn fan might comment on the relevance of one game by pointing out how UConn was slaughtered by Louisville in the 2014 AAC tournament and went on to win it's Fourth National Championship.

Reaction Score

PC does control its own destiny BUT since they play each other it's not possible for both to win out.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
All sites list PC first with the higher percentage. It just seemed odd that CBS repeated that nova was in first place.

PC - @ Butler, Xavier, Creighton, @ Nova'
Nova - Georgetown, @ UCONN, PC, @ Butler
UCONN - SHU, Xavier, Nova, @ Georgetown, @ Creighton, DePaul
Creighton - @ DePaul, Marquette, @ SJU, @ PC, UCONN, SHU
No reason we can’t go 5-1 in that stretch. We control our own destiny too. Us getting third and nova winning the conference is great for us

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yup, it's the Seattle Legion of Boom defense strategy, basically taunting/daring the refs "you can't call it every time".
If they had any stones they'd call them fouls right off the bat and set the tone by putting his behind on the bench with two quick fouls in the opening minutes. There just is no excuse for that contact let alone the shoulder throwing which almost borders on a deliberate flagrant foul. This should be directed to the league office in private and if that doesn't work the hell with the fines and go to the press. It really looks bad for the whole league like the game/line is fixed. I don't think anyone wants this but that's what it really looks like and it is very biased in an otherwise great league. I don't ever remember ANYONE getting that many consistent passes by refs.

Reaction Score
Coming to another UConn's message board to talk s*"t when your coach has won ONE NCAA Tournament game in 15 seasons is ballsy, especially when UConn has won 2 National Championships and been to another Final 4 in that same span. Even though UConn was down in recent years, they still have a total of 20 NCAA tournament wins since Cooley has been a Head Coach.

Providence and Cooley need to do more than win a bunch of regular season games to really impress anyone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom