Video of Lou's Technical Foul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Video of Lou's Technical Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The first fall down by Lou, it looked like a basketball play. Nothing to get upset about. Lou was cutting back door and the Xavier player legs were extended, and their legs got tangled up. The run down the court, Lou ran into the Xavier player. Now either Lou is really weak or the Xavier player is really strong but that looked like a flop that could have ended badly for Lou, in terms of an elbow injury. Just looking at that video.
Glad others here are seeing it the same way I did. I have replayed the video over and over, slowed it down, and still don't see anything intentional by the Xavier player on either of those two plays. Conversely, I see Lou almost "hunting" down the Xavier player going down the court. Lou, beyond question, has been getting beat up all season, and even more with Azzi/Caroline out. Her folks were there last night which I believe magnified her frustration. However, I love to see the "fight in the Dog"!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Credit to the refs last night. They let both sides play and didn't call all of those annoying touch fouls. Lou is smart. Seasoned. She is aware that teams are going to disrupt UCONN with physical play, especially on their perimeter players. Can't have that and basically, Lou was delivering that message. We can be physical too. Welcome to March!
Every cutter by UConn was held and pushed, not touch fouls, real freedom of movement fouls.

Reaction Score
The first fall down by Lou, it looked like a basketball play. Nothing to get upset about. Lou was cutting back door and the Xavier player legs were extended, and their legs got tangled up. The run down the court, Lou ran into the Xavier player. Now either Lou is really weak or the Xavier player is really strong but that looked like a flop that could have ended badly for Lou, in terms of an elbow injury. Just looking at that video.
Mon dieu!

I believe you have it pegged, Jellybean and topogigio. And if it'd been soccer, Lou might have been yellow carded for what I saw as throwing out her right leg, as she flopped, in an effort to trip the Xavier player. (I trust I'll get a few 'dislikes' for that take... LOL!)

Everyone's points about Lou's acceptance of abuse to this point are spot on. I love Lou and have hated rival defenses' physical play on her, but she was the transgressor here.

I do love that the Huskies, the usually mild-mannered Caroline principal among them, not backing down either.
Glad others here are seeing it the same way I did. I have replayed the video over and over, slowed it down, and still don't see anything intentional by the Xavier player on either of those two plays. Conversely, I see Lou almost "hunting" down the Xavier player going down the court. Lou, beyond question, has been getting beat up all season, and even more with Azzi/Caroline out. Her folks were there last night which I believe magnified her frustration. However, I love to see the "fight in the Dog"!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I disagree. Watch the arms. Both times the arms came out and Lou was pushed to the floor. I don't know how that much contact can happen without a foul being called. Twice in a row is inexcusable officiating. This has been going on all year and it's getting worse.

I will admit the second time running down the court Lou did come closer to the player than she needed to, but there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly looked to me like a "get away from me" shove.

You didn't see any fouls? I'm trying really hard not to be snide here only because you are one of the premier and respected posters on the BY.
One of last nights officials was the one that made a few horrendous calls in the Villanova game, the foul on Nika when she was pushed into Seagrist by Olson and the jump ball under the basket when Nika was jumped on and nobody had control of the ball but did give Nova the ball back..

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
She was held on the previous play as she tried to cut to the basket and then the player deliberately ran into Lou on the way down the court, which is why Lou got knocked down. I’m sure this was also building up over the course of the game.
That happened in front of Geno and had to be restrained by CD as he was berating the trail official who was ignoring the foul on Lou.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The fact that UConn fans can’t agree on the foul/no foul even with the benefit of replays and slow motion shows what a tough job the refs have. Maybe we should cut them some slack rather than relive every foul from the season.

Reaction Score
A
She was held on the previous play as she tried to cut to the basket and then the player deliberately ran into Lou on the way down the court, which is why Lou got knocked down. I’m sure this was also building up over the course of the game.
What we see on TV is doesn't show the incredible physicality of the women's college game today. I've been courtside for a number of games this season and the intensity of the bumping, lowering shoulders into another player, grabbing, pushing, elbows etc. - it was striking to see that first-hand and so close. It reminded me a bit of the NBA in the mid-late 80's-90's. Like other sports, the young women are taller, bigger, faster and stronger than the past, and they use their physical attributes to their advantage, or until the ref calls it.
I wish I could like this 10 times. This passively endorsed physical violence in is not what drew me to love WBB. I grew up playing/ loving hockey, but the physical excesses (euphemism for physical/sometimes violent excess not enforced by the leagues representatives/officials) turned me off. Eventually the NHL figured out that people like skating, stick skills, positioning etc- not grabby brawling. I hope Charlie Baker recognizes the need to prevent teams from moving to the model of bringing in Enforcers to protect the skill players because the officials are unwilling. We’ve seen many of our teams kids get injured (dorka’s hand/Azzis knee/Caroline’s head and neck) get injured as a result of illegal plays. Last night one of our kids chop blocked (personal foul in NFL) an opponent while going after a loose ball. That was a play made against UConn several times this year, and it’s rarely called a foul. And I am not calling out our player for the play- I don’t think it intentional and she looked shaken at outcome. just saying that the officials need to better control the play so that it does not escalate to lifelong knee and brain injuries for the kids that want to play a game. The officials (league and refs) are the adults in ths situation- they need to be more responsible protecting the students.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A

I wish I could like this 10 times. This passively endorsed physical violence in is not what drew me to love WBB. I grew up playing/ loving hockey, but the physical excesses (euphemism for physical/sometimes violent excess not enforced by the leagues representatives/officials) turned me off. Eventually the NHL figured out that people like skating, stick skills, positioning etc- not grabby brawling. I hope Charlie Baker recognizes the need to prevent teams from moving to the model of bringing in Enforcers to protect the skill players because the officials are unwilling. We’ve seen many of our teams kids get injured (dorka’s hand/Azzis knee/Caroline’s head and neck) get injured as a result of illegal plays. Last night one of our kids chop blocked (personal foul in NFL) an opponent while going after a loose ball. That was a play made against UConn several times this year, and it’s rarely called a foul. And I am not calling out our player for the play- I don’t think it intentional and she looked shaken at outcome. just saying that the officials need to better control the play so that it does not escalate to lifelong knee and brain injuries for the kids that want to play a game. The officials (league and refs) are the adults in ths situation- they need to be more responsible protecting the students.
As i said in another post, women’s hoop games, not just those involving UConn, are starting to look like Roller Derby.

Reaction Score
Every cutter by UConn was held and pushed, not touch fouls, real freedom of movement fouls.
It's not just UConn. As the players have gotten bigger, stronger and faster, the game has become more physical. It's just the way it is. Watch just about any game and you're going to see holding /grabbing while cutters go through or by a screen. They aren't trying to hurt anybody most of the time - they're just trying to keep up with their girl. UConn does it some as well. Focus on it sometimes and you'll see it. Gosh, the physicality with the big girls is insane - all of them. It's a wonder there aren't more technical fouls - I wouldn't be able to hold my temper.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm likely in a minority of one here, but I don't see it.

The first play Lou tried to cut and simply collides knee-to-knee with Smith. Lou, clearly annoyed at no foul being called, seemed to make a beeline towards Smith coming down the court. The contact between the two appeared minimal and I thought Lou sold it.
Yeah, I saw it differently. Smith cuts towards Lou and gives her a forearm shiver. Apparently that’s what the refs saw as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The fact that UConn fans can’t agree on the foul/no foul even with the benefit of replays and slow motion shows what a tough job the refs have. Maybe we should cut them some slack rather than relive every foul from the season.
“ Good luck with that “

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It's not just UConn. As the players have gotten bigger, stronger and faster, the game has become more physical. It's just the way it is. Watch just about any game and you're going to see holding /grabbing while cutters go through or by a screen. They aren't trying to hurt anybody most of the time - they're just trying to keep up with their girl. UConn does it some as well. Focus on it sometimes and you'll see it. Gosh, the physicality with the big girls is insane - all of them. It's a wonder there aren't more technical fouls - I wouldn't be able to hold my temper.
Doesn't just happen to UConn correct, but some teams coach the Detroit Pistons approach to defense " won't call them all.".

Reaction Score
Shocking…..
This is the way WCB is going and i hate it. It’s a formula that works for some top programs (cough cough) and it will be adapted more often by less talented teams. The game needs to be officiated as to the rules to make it stop. Unfortunately I don’t see it happening and it will turn into just another street ball game!

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the game replay. Especially interested in Xavier's #3. At the 101:58 mark Nika drives down the left side of the lane for a layup.....next thing Nika is on the floor. When re-watching in slow motion it very much looks like #3 pushes her in the back and smiles after the play. No other Xavier player touches Nika. At the 108:58 mark, Ines is driving the baseline and passes to Ducharme in the corner, At the same time you see Ines flying on her back into a camera person with a little help from number 3's right arm. Number 3 was getting away with a lot of S... in this game.
That's what Sophie Cunningham used to do and why SC fans absolutely detested her...and still do. :)

Reaction Score
Just Georgia? In the SEC? The BE has a few now also.
With the fouling? Yes. The SEC is physical - it's a defensive battle every game. Georgia? I'm not sure what their strategy is. Get under your skin maybe? :rolleyes:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Here's when Lou tries to cut the first time. Note the hand against her bicep, elbow about to contact the chest:
Screenshot - 2_28_2023 , 10_53_00.png

an instant later, the arm has straightened out, even though Lou is closer. The hand is pushing backward. Looks like an intentional foul to me.
Screenshot - 2_28_2023 , 10_53_20.png

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
After Lou picks herself up, she went along the sideline to near the top of the 3-point arc. After a hesitation, Smith follows. Lou puts the brakes on and reverses direction, beginning another cut, just as Smith arrives. Smith is beaten, but she grabs Lou's right arm. The pic is blurry, but if you review the video at this point, the hold is clear, since it causes Lou's torso to torque to the left. A very obvious intentional foul.
Screenshot - 2_28_2023 , 10_59_37.png

The small image is less blurry, but a bit harder to see
Screenshot - 2_28_2023 , 11_00_47.png

Reaction Score
Interesting point about the smiling, but the smiling also and first occurred after the first encounter. I think that is part of what got Lou so riled up. If you ever have gotten knocked down in a bball you are not happy but then when you see the perpetrator smiling, then you really looking to get even

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom