Video of Lou's Technical Foul | The Boneyard

Video of Lou's Technical Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been beyond impressed with how much restraint Lou has shown despite most (if not all) other teams treating her like a punching bag. Officials are there to enforce rules and, more importantly, to protect players from getting hurt. These officials clearly let her down. She deserves better than that.

Reaction Score
That announcer is incompetent. That's not "competitiveness": it's a deliberate, ejectable foul. But we're learning this year that such fouls don't count against Connecticut, but Connecticut can get flagrant 1's for completely accidental fouls (Edwards a couple of games ago).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm likely in a minority of one here, but I don't see it.

The first play Lou tried to cut and simply collides knee-to-knee with Smith. Lou, clearly annoyed at no foul being called, seemed to make a beeline towards Smith coming down the court. The contact between the two appeared minimal and I thought Lou sold it.

Reaction Score

The first play Lou tried to cut and simply collides knee-to-knee with Smith. Lou, clearly annoyed at no foul being called, seemed to make a beeline towards Smith coming down the court. The contact between the two appeared minimal and I thought Lou sold it.

Agreed and the T on Lou… she deserved it

Reaction Score

I disagree. Watch the arms. Both times the arms came out and Lou was pushed to the floor. I don't know how that much contact can happen without a foul being called. Twice in a row is inexcusable officiating. This has been going on all year and it's getting worse.

I will admit the second time running down the court Lou did come closer to the player than she needed to, but there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly looked to me like a "get away from me" shove.

You didn't see any fouls? I'm trying really hard not to be snide here only because you are one of the premier and respected posters on the BY.

Reaction Score
The first fall down by Lou, it looked like a basketball play. Nothing to get upset about. Lou was cutting back door and the Xavier player legs were extended, and their legs got tangled up. The run down the court, Lou ran into the Xavier player. Now either Lou is really weak or the Xavier player is really strong but that looked like a flop that could have ended badly for Lou, in terms of an elbow injury. Just looking at that video.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
As i said in another thread, now that the rough play is impacting her emotionally, teams aren't going to let up. It will only get worse.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Re-watch the slow motion replay from behind the players. The slo-Mo replay also didn’t show the Xavier kid with the grip on Lou’s arm as she cut through the lane

Reaction Score
That was clearly either a flop or a foul on Lou. I agree she is defended with a lot of physical play but she let her anger get the best of her on this one. You could see 15 feet before she hit the other player that she was on a mission.

With that said she had to hit back or she will continue to be pounded when she is on offense. Really what needs to happen is she needs to go off screens tighter and AE needs to lower the boom on the defender with a legal pick.

Reaction Score
Re-watch the slow motion replay from behind the players. The slo-Mo replay also didn’t show the Xavier kid with the grip on Lou’s arm as she cut through the lane
Nan, I agree she is held and was fouled repeatedly on offense. Going down the court though was on Lou. I think she had enough and was more or less sending a message.

Reaction Score

She was held on the previous play as she tried to cut to the basket and then the player deliberately ran into Lou on the way down the court, which is why Lou got knocked down. I’m sure this was also building up over the course of the game.

Reaction Score
The WBB referees, both college and pros, were horrible, are horrible and will always be horrible until they get someone or a policy in place that rates the officials and holds them accountable for their actions! There is no consistency with today's WBB refs!
If I'm not mistaken, the head of officiating is an ex-college ref who worked with some of these officials! They should have someone not connected to WBB but officiating, to govern all the refs!

Reaction Score
Credit to the refs last night. They let both sides play and didn't call all of those annoying touch fouls. Lou is smart. Seasoned. She is aware that teams are going to disrupt UCONN with physical play, especially on their perimeter players. Can't have that and basically, Lou was delivering that message. We can be physical too. Welcome to March!

Reaction Score
The WBB referees, both college and pros, were horrible, are horrible and will always be horrible until they get someone or a policy in place that rates the officials and holds them accountable for their actions! There is no consistency with today's WBB refs!
If I'm not mistaken, the head of officiating is an ex-college ref who worked with some of these officials! They should have someone not connected to WBB but officiating, to govern all the refs!
Don't they get graded by the coaches? Now that I think of it...might not work. lol

Reaction Score
What we see on TV is doesn't show the incredible physicality of the women's college game today. I've been courtside for a number of games this season and the intensity of the bumping, lowering shoulders into another player, grabbing, pushing, elbows etc. - it was striking to see that first-hand and so close. It reminded me a bit of the NBA in the mid-late 80's-90's. Like other sports, the young women are taller, bigger, faster and stronger than the past, and they use their physical attributes to their advantage, or until the ref calls it.

Reaction Score
I can’t tell what Lou said to the Xavier player. Can anyone read lips in French, or maybe Croatian, Hungarian, Portuguese or Egyptian?
I'm sure "SWEET LOU" said something appropriate to the occasion! I don't know French, but I
can read facial expressions! Time to check out who is # 3 on Xavier.

Reaction Score
Lou shouldn't have lost her temper but I absolutely understand why it happened. She's been getting hacked, pushed/shoved/knocked around all season long. She got fed up with it and let Xavier player #3 know it. Good for Lou making it clear she won't take it anymore. Long overdue, IMO. And great the way her teammates had her back too.

As for the officiating, it is what it is. Sometimes UConn gets away with ****, sometimes they don't. Ditto their opponents. I think Xavier was lucky not to get called for an intentional foul here. There was absolutely no reason for #3 to stick her elbow out like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom