Video - Duke Post Game Press Conference. | The Boneyard

Video - Duke Post Game Press Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I just watched both pressers and I found it odd that the Duke coach and players did not mention UConn players names... it was "30" and "23", not "Breanna" or "Stewart" or "Kaleena" or "Lewis". Our guys mentioned Gray and Liston by name more than once. Odd and mildly disrespectful, I thought. Some kind of coaching ploy during practice to dehumanize the opponent or ensure the team recognized the jersey #s that could not be left open? Odd that it carried over in to the presser.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Seen this before - I think the idea from the coaching staff is to reduce the hype surrounding opponents stars - I am not playing against AA Stef Dolson, I am playing against #31 in Blue, etc.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Seen this before - I think the idea from the coaching staff is to reduce the hype surrounding opponents stars - I am not playing against AA Stef Dolson, I am playing against #31 in Blue, etc.

Duke coach trying to cope with her team mental fragility, then.

This is why I remain concerned about ND. Those kids know they can beat us (even if they can't). I think they are going to be trouble before this is over.

Reaction Score
It's funny but if you watch that highlight video from the game, you thought that Duke won by 50 :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's funny but if you watch that highlight video from the game, you thought that Duke won by 50 :)
Actually by 61 - I think they strung together every shot Duke made!:cool:
Separately - love when team sites post the full press conferences - and I wish every team did so. A lot of the stuff is sort of boiler plate, but it is interesting seeing the players and coaches handling of the media and especially with Geno, he usually gives a few really interesting answers.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What struck me in the video is how relaxed Geno was with the players. They were making jokes with him and he back to them. Stewie seems to have a playful attitude around Geno. I'm sure its not that way during practice time. :)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What did Geno mean when he said "the jury's still out on that one..." I think it was a swipe at Stewie? What else could it have meant?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What struck me in the video is how relaxed Geno was with the players. They were making jokes with him and he back to them. Stewie seems to have a playful attitude around Geno. I'm sure its not that way during practice time. :)
Rebecca reported about the practice she attended when Geno was brutally forcing Breanna to go again and again.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Coach P speaks about "chucking up bad shots."
Seems that when they had run their limited half-court sets and the clock was windind down they had little other options.
She also seemed to mention that in that situ, her team should clear out." Is she advocating strict one on one?
If so: she'll never win that way and she's doing her smart gals a disservice.
UConn played a less restrictive defense than I've seen all year
If anything seemed rusty it was that: switches seemed sluggish and help was sometimes late.
That will hardly happen again.
If there is a next time it will be worse.
Nore Dame and UTenn are really the only threats with the former
being the only one that concerns me.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coach P speaks about "chucking up bad shots."
Seems that when they had run their limited half-court sets and the clock was windind down they had little other options.
She also seemed to mention that in that situ, her team should clear out." Is she advocating strict one on one?
If so: she'll never win that way and she's doing her smart gals a disservice.
UConn played a less restrictive defense than I've seen all year
If anything seemed rusty it was that: switches seemed sluggish and help was sometimes late.
That will hardly happen again.
If there is a next time it will be worse.
Nore Dame and UTenn are really the only threats with the former
being the only one that concerns me.
I too found a lot of her responses a little odd - not sure if it was 'boiler plate' or if it is a reflection of her actual coaching style - hope it is the first. And I kept wondering, if she was seeing these things in the game, why didn't she use her time-outs? Isn't that what they are there for? She wants to run a clear-out, call a TO and draw one up, etc.

Reaction Score
I agree. The focus is on playing against other players without giving undo emphasis to players' reputations.

Reaction Score
McCallie's hand shake in a blur at the end and quotes say it all...."WE took bad shot....WE made bad decisions......" This is all about a coach who personally thinks she's as good a coach as Geno and her players need to start playing better rather than the coaches who admit "UConn defensively forced us out of our rhythm and made us take some bad shots late on the shot clock" etc etc......she was out coached dramatically again and until she listens to Bilas and steps up her end of the bargain her player will never be prepared for what UConn throws at them - never!

Reaction Score
The 2 most glaring issues of Duke in this game were that for some reason they didn't adjust to be guarding KML closer and that on offense when UConn took away the regular set that Duke was trying to run, it was clear that the players were not sure of what to do next which resulted in one on one basketball and bad shots.
If UConn plays a regular UConn game I don't see how it can be beat by a one on one basketball and that is the reason why IMO the only team that got a chance of beating UConn is ND as they emphasis is passing the ball and finding the open player as well as play with a lot of discipline.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I just watched both pressers and I found it odd that the Duke coach and players did not mention UConn players names... it was "30" and "23", not "Breanna" or "Stewart" or "Kaleena" or "Lewis". Our guys mentioned Gray and Liston by name more than once. Odd and mildly disrespectful, I thought. Some kind of coaching ploy during practice to dehumanize the opponent or ensure the team recognized the jersey #s that could not be left open? Odd that it carried over in to the presser.

Had the exact same reaction to this 23 and 30 business. Flat out disrespectful. However, the biggest impression I came out of the press conference was that going into the game Coach P (what the hell is that about anyway, but I digress) and her team emphasized the need to concentrate at both ends and not have lapses and at the end of the contest Coach P said it was undisciplined offense and lapses - well, guess what Coach - that is on you (5 seniors). Also said Williams had to work on her jump shot, but she was working on gaining range ( will she have it by THIS year's tournament). She was critical of the refs - 5 free throws good grief - also talked about selling the refs into calling fouls, whatever that was suppose to mean. The Duke highlight reel - essentially ever shot they took that went in - shows that they did get inside and UConn was very hands off - so P's comment was pretty much auto pilot clichés. She was very flat. I would like to see more genuine disappointment if I am a Duke fan, because it could give me the sense that she may carry that sting into practice and the rest of the season to actually get something done and move the team forward.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Rebecca reported about the practice she attended when Geno was brutally forcing Breanna to go again and again.
I think they actually showed that part of the practice

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Coach McCallie could have saved herself a lot of trouble by just replaying a videotape of last year's post-game presser.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If UConn plays a regular UConn game I don't see how it can be beat by a one on one basketball and that is the reason why IMO the only team that got a chance of beating UConn is ND as they emphasis is passing the ball and finding the open player as well as play with a lot of discipline.
The one exception is if you have a Sims or Angel type player who just goes off on you - but there are few of those players and you still need someone else to hit open shots.
On the refs thing RMB2 ... I think that was more in relation to being aggressive driving and forcing the refs to chose offensive vs defensive foul and not specific to flopping. Personally I thought it was really well called game, but I also think the players made it easy on the refs in playing smart disciplined defense.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I did see the piece about UConn's practices and that's why I added the statement with a :) face.

If you saw that little special they ran after the game about UConn's practices it sure ain't. :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Watched the presser this morning. I agree on the #23 and #30 stuff. Give me a break! You recruited both of those kids and you've got a stat sheet sitting in front of you and you can't recite their names? Do you think Geno would ever say, "Well that #0 for Baylor is really hard to guard."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Watched the presser this morning. I agree on the #23 and #30 stuff. Give me a break! You recruited both of those kids and you've got a stat sheet sitting in front of you and you can't recite their names? Do you think Geno would ever say, "Well that #0 for Baylor is really hard to guard."

McCallie started doing this when Maya played for UConn. She used to refer to Maya as "Number 23." It's just silly and makes her look small.

Reaction Score

More work is needed on finding that tricky #23

Reaction Score
McCallie's hand shake in a blur at the end and quotes say it all...."WE took bad shot....WE made bad decisions......" This is all about a coach who personally thinks she's as good a coach as Geno and her players need to start playing better rather than the coaches who admit "UConn defensively forced us out of our rhythm and made us take some bad shots late on the shot clock" etc etc......she was out coached dramatically again and until she listens to Bilas and steps up her end of the bargain her player will never be prepared for what UConn throws at them - never!

This is all about a coach who personally thinks she's as good a coach as Geno :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I thought the number stuff was really rude, and somehow pathetic, as if "not to mention their names." Yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom