OT: - Victor Wembanyama | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Victor Wembanyama

Reaction Score
I remember when Shaq hit the league and every team started to want multiple bulky centers just to have something to try to throw at him. Teams were falling over themselves to acquire 270+ lbs players.

I wonder if Wemby will have a similar impact in making teams go nuts for 7'2"+ players with any semblance of mobility? If so, Clingan will be a big winner as he is one of the most promising of a rare set.
not exactly a common prototype that is hanging out there....love Clingan but trying to defend in space on an island out on the perimeter and he would probably get jab stepped and his face shot off like Eubanks did in that Suns game.

Reaction Score
I remember when Shaq hit the league and every team started to want multiple bulky centers just to have something to try to throw at him. Teams were falling over themselves to acquire 270+ lbs players.

I wonder if Wemby will have a similar impact in making teams go nuts for 7'2"+ players with any semblance of mobility? If so, Clingan will be a big winner as he is one of the most promising of a rare set.
Clingan is nothing like Wemby... Shorter, less ball skills, not as athletic, etc. They're not even remotely close as players. Wemby is a legit 7-4 SF. The only player who has even been remotely close was Ralph Sampson and Wemby is already more skilled.

Reaction Score
I knew he was quick for his size but after watching a couple games this season its obvious he is quick in general for a nba guard. Its scary.

Reaction Score
Clingan is nothing like Wemby... Shorter, less ball skills, not as athletic, etc. They're not even remotely close as players. Wemby is a legit 7-4 SF. The only player who has even been remotely close was Ralph Sampson and Wemby is already more skilled.
Clingan also weighs 80 lbs. more than him. Clingan was mostly a rim runner and awesome paint defender last season. He's going to be an old school giant big once he has his couple of go to post moves perfected. I just pray they both stay healthy, especially Donovan.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if he stays the skinny route these next few years or bulks up like Giannis

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

No, because everyone has been already been on the lookout for tall guys who can dribble and shoot. Teams have been clamoring for that for years. KD, Giannis, Chet Holmgren, Poku, etc. Porzingis is 7'3" and can shoot and move a bit, too. Wemby just happens to have the highest ceiling.

Reaction Score
Porzingis

Reaction Score
This guy looks like a once in a decade guy, Shaq, Lebron, etc. Obviously much different players than them, but that kind of impact.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I
stating the obvious but if he stays healthy this a one-of-one type player/career, the stuff he's doing now at 19 is freakish, can't imagine what this will look like by his mid 20s.

just told my brother he could literally average 40+ points a game in a few years. My brother laughed but I was dead serious. As a lifelong spurs fan, I’m finally excited again about spurs basketball. We were spoiled with Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker but maybe even more spoiled with Wemby.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The funny thing is Chet is a freak. He's probably a legitimate 7 feet tall with serious dribbling skills, shooting skills, and shotblocking and he looks like a piece of crap compared to Wembanyama. It shows just how freaky this kid is.

It’s the way he moves. Just like watching Edey and Clingan. One moves like a robot and the fluid

Reaction Score
Giannis is still on top the freak throne to me. However with Wembanaya, it's only a matter of time he'll dethrone him.

Reaction Score
Weeny is going to face serious challenges staying healthy. Hopefully, his physical gifts will extend to freakish durability. He looks so fragile and few 7 footers escape nagging injuries and degenerative issues. Seems like a great kid too.

Reaction Score
Idk to me he doesn’t look particularly fragile. If anything he looks more athletic than Chet who I hope stays healthy. I think he has a similar potential but less experience playing professionally than Wemby. What would worry me would be foot injuries. I don’t think Durant looks any more athletic than a 19 year old Wemby. Porzingis has been hurt most of his career carrying more weight than either of them. Im sure the NBA and the trainers have far more experience working with Athletes of this body type than they had just 15 years ago. Wemby looks like it’s a natural body type to me that will fill out as he grows older. Chet seems unreasonably thin but still looks a bit bigger than last year. Just my opinion.

Im excited for the next generation of stars in the NBA. I’ve lost a lot of interest over the years as I’ve gotten older and so have the players/teams I rooted for. I’m intrigued enough to start giving it a second chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Idk to me he doesn’t look particularly fragile. If anything he looks more athletic than Chet who I hope stays healthy. I think he has a similar potential but less experience playing professionally than Wemby. What would worry me would be foot injuries. I don’t think Durant looks any more athletic than a 19 year old Wemby. Porzingis has been hurt most of his career carrying more weight than either of them. Im sure the NBA and the trainers have far more experience working with Athletes of this body type than they had just 15 years ago. Wemby looks like it’s a natural body type to me that will fill out as he grows older. Chet seems unreasonably thin but still looks a bit bigger than last year. Just my opinion.

Im excited for the next generation of stars in the NBA. I’ve lost a lot of interest over the years as I’ve gotten older and so have the players/teams I rooted for. I’m intrigued enough to start giving it a second chance.

I think by fragile he's referring to the skinniness. Chet looks more fragile for sure. He has that kind of horse face tall guys get. To me, Wemby looks fragile in his lower body. If he can bulk up to Durant-ish size in the next 5 years, he'll be in good shape.

Reaction Score
I

just told my brother he could literally average 40+ points a game in a few years. My brother laughed but I was dead serious. As a lifelong spurs fan, I’m finally excited again about spurs basketball. We were spoiled with Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker but maybe even more spoiled with Wemby.
Your brother must be really good.

Reaction Score
MJ vs Kobe (maybe Lebron)
African American Reaction GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member