Vic Schaefer pulls off another shocker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer pulls off another shocker

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Somehow, Texas has won 3 of its last 4 against Stanford, including both at Stanford.
That's surprising. Which means that Karen Aston, on her way to getting fired, won 2 of her last 3 meetings vs. Stanford.

If nothing else, it puts a little slow in the roll of these Pac-12 homers who are so full of themselves lately -- and yet oddly. so conspicuously absent from this thread. :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes and no. How does Vic convince the cream of the crop to come to Texas instead of UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Baylor who have all won national titles recently? Getting to the Elite 8 last season unexpectedly, and beating #3 Stanford helps. But, without those milestones, it's a tough mountain to climb
I think Vic will get many of the top players that Kim attracted to Baylor in talent rich TX, plus TX is a great academic school that can pull in the type of kids that ND or Duke get.

TX came very close to getting Megan Walker. If TX starts winning Big 12 titles under Vic and going deep in the tournament, they will be on the radar of a lot of top recruits.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well, I had Texas appropriately ranked after all. Maybe too low actually?

Good coaches don't often go backwards.
You know, these pre-season rankings for Texas were all over the map.

The Big 12 coaches voted Texas second in the conference. Yet, nationally, most rankings had Texas well behind Iowa State and West Virginia. Creme even had the gall to list Texas as a #9 seed in his way too early bracket.

Texas losing 3 starters in Charli Collier, Celeste Taylor, and Kyra Lambert might have led to that, and lots of newcomers to boot.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That's surprising. Which means that Karen Aston, on her way to getting fired, won 2 of her last 3 meetings vs. Stanford.

If nothing else, it puts a little slow in the roll of these Pac-12 homers who are so full of themselves lately -- and yet oddly. so conspicuously absent from this thread. :cool:
Yeah, and Aston almost beat Stanford in the Sweet 16 in Lexington, KY, but an awful second half coaching job (IMO) wiped that away.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. How does Vic convince the cream of the crop to come to Texas instead of UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Baylor who have all won national titles recently? Getting to the Elite 8 last season unexpectedly, and beating #3 Stanford helps. But, without those milestones, it's a tough mountain to climb
3 words my friend SEC football money

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think Vic will get many of the top players that Kim attracted to Baylor in talent rich TX, plus TX is a great academic school that can pull in the type of kids that ND or Duke get.

TX came very close to getting Megan Walker. If TX starts winning Big 12 titles under Vic and going deep in the tournament, they will be on the radar of a lot of top recruits.
I hope you are right. Still have to fight Kim as she didn't move to far, and already plucking Texas talent to head to LSU.

Pretty much only have this season and next season to try and win a Big 12 title. Texas going to the SEC in a couple of years will also help recruiting, IMO, as we'll be involved in more marquee games of interest (South Carolina, LSU, Texas A&M, etc.)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
3 words my friend SEC football money
Texas has ALWAYS had money, and even more than the SEC schools have been making until just the last year or two. Trust me, lack of money is not why Texas isn't winning more (in many sports).

Plebe

Reaction Score
God bless Saint Vic but his dribble, dribble, dribble, pound the ball into the hardwood offense is tough to watch. He will have some success but I do wonder whether really good offensive players will choose to play for him.
It's a fair question, but he managed to convince a top-10 recruit like Rickea Jackson to move from Detroit to Starkville. And now he has Harmon, Moore and Hunter in this UT freshman class, who by all indications are capable offensive talents.

Reaction Score
Texas has ALWAYS had money, and even more than the SEC schools have been making until just the last year or two. Trust me, lack of money is not why Texas isn't winning more (in many sports).
but you never had the hc imo that could lift you over the top, also there was always Kim Mulkey standing in the way of you. Now she has left the state, I feel that is a big advantage for you. A&M hc I believe retires or retired so that's another big chip off the block gone.

Reaction Score
Vic got some top recruits to come to State, so I think he will be fine at Texas. I'm never really shocked when Vic knocks off a team he wasn't supposed to. He's usually very good at making in game adjustments. His offenses are not pretty, but he finds ways to win.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
but you never had the hc imo that could lift you over the top, also there was always Kim Mulkey standing in the way of you. Now she has left the state, I feel that is a big advantage for you. A&M hc I believe retires or retired so that's another big chip off the block gone.
Lots of change happening at Texas, and around Texas. Regardless, Vic winning games last season against UCLA and Maryland to get to the elite 8, and winning at #3 Stanford today is more important than all that's happening off the court.

Going to the SEC in a couple of years, and opening a brand new basketball arena and practice facility prior to the 2022-23 season are huge selling points for Vic's program; but, again, not as important as winning on the court now, IMO.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, I had Texas appropriately ranked after all. Maybe too low actually?

Good coaches don't often go backwards.
Ha well I have to admit I didn't have them ranked at all, which was obviously too low :D Not because I didn't think they would become a top 25 team over the season, but I didn't think they'd start out ready to knock off this caliber of opponent.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Somehow, Texas has won 3 of its last 4 against Stanford, including both at Stanford.
This. I had a bad feeling about this game for three reasons, two of which are effectively superstitions (but proved to be true):

1. Texas has recently had great success against Stanford, even during the Aston era, and even when playing on the Farm.

2. Vic knows how to beat Tara's teams; he was the architect of Texas A&M's final four upset in 2011, with full court press defense and one on one offense. HIs style of play just naturally gives a Tara-coached team fits.

3. We often disappoint in early-season games on ESPN. Not sure why, but I bet we're sub-.500 on games on ESPN before March when we're the higher ranked team. It's to the point where I groan when I realize a game is going to be on ESPN.

Though I'm disappointed, I'm not surprised. Williams' stat lines were always quieter than her impact on our team, because she was a steadying influence, she could go one on one when the game required it, and she could go into hero ball bailout mode when no one else was stepping up, especially against upset-minded teams. Several of our games against Colorado, and our squeaker against Cal Baptist in Canada, are recent games that come to mind where Williams rallied us in the final minutes. And in all of those instances, her ability to knock down treys under pressure was the gamechanger. We had no such player today.

Sigh. At least the pressure's off now!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If nothing else, it puts a little slow in the roll of these Pac-12 homers who are so full of themselves lately -- and yet oddly. so conspicuously absent from this thread.
Sure, let's have a big overreaction to one game, that makes sense. Seems like you were just laughing at me for overreacting to a sample size of one game in another thread.

Plebe

Reaction Score
This. I had a bad feeling about this game for three reasons, two of which are effectively superstitions (but proved to be true):

1. Texas has recently had great success against Stanford, even during the Aston era, and even when playing on the Farm.

2. Vic knows how to beat Tara's teams; he was the architect of Texas A&M's final four upset in 2011, with full court press defense and one on one offense. HIs style of play just naturally gives a Tara-coached team fits.

3. We often disappoint in early-season games on ESPN. Not sure why, but I bet we're sub-.500 on games on ESPN before March when we're the higher ranked team. It's to the point where I groan when I realize a game is going to be on ESPN.

Though I'm disappointed, I'm not surprised. Williams' stat lines were always quieter than her impact on our team, because she was a steadying influence, she could go one on one when the game required it, and she could go into hero ball bailout mode when no one else was stepping up, especially against upset-minded teams. Several of our games against Colorado, and our squeaker against Cal Baptist in Canada, are recent games that come to mind where Williams rallied us in the final minutes. And in all of those instances, her ability to knock down treys under pressure was the gamechanger. We had no such player today.

Sigh. At least the pressure's off now!
It's refreshing to see that the Stanford fans can be just as committed to their superstitions as the rest of us ;)

Ya know, I bet a lot of UConn fans remember how A&M in 2011 beat Notre Dame to win the title and upset a favored Baylor team in the Elite 8, but they don't remember that the Aggies also upset Stanford in the national semis.

I salute you for posting such an equanimous reflection so soon after the loss.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score

COUGH. See my post above. And if you've been perpetually disregarded for the better part of three decades, you might understand why we have a bit of pride lately. I guarantee you if defending champ UConn lost to Texas it'd be a front page story on ESPN, but they don't even have a story about this game at all. I think many of us have taken to repping the conference because the media sure as heck isn't going to do it.

Reaction Score
This reminded me of a little Texas' Sweet 16 win over Maryland in how they controlled the pace and disrupted the flow of their opponent's fluid offense. Stanford lacks a floor general, which is what Williams' presence provided in her years at Stanford. That combined with shooting 4-27 from three does not bode well.

Congratulations to Vic and Texas. If this is where Vic has his team now, I cannot imagine where they're going to be in March. I know its only the opening week, but this is a team I would not want in my bracket. As for Stanford, hopefully this loss provides an opportunity for growth and motivates them moving forward, onto the mighty Pilots of Portland next on Tuesday :cool:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
It's refreshing to see that the Stanford fans can be just as committed to their superstitions as the rest of us ;)

Ya know, I bet a lot of UConn fans remember how A&M in 2011 beat Notre Dame to win the title and upset a favored Baylor team in the Elite 8, but they don't remember that the Aggies also upset Stanford in the national semis.

I salute you for posting such an equanimous reflection so soon after the loss.
Yeah, A&M had no business beating the Ogwumike's that day. :(

Reaction Score
Yeah, A&M had no business beating the Ogwumike's that day. :(
Don't remind me...

1636933933009.png

Plebe

Reaction Score
COUGH. See my post above. And if you've been perpetually disregarded for the better part of three decades, you might understand why we have a bit of pride lately. I guarantee you if defending champ UConn lost to Texas it'd be a front page story on ESPN, but they don't even have a story about this game at all. I think many of us have taken to repping the conference because the media sure as heck isn't going to do it.
So ESPN gets no credit for televising this game? Only a bad rap for not announcing the loss in a major headline?

And if you were to ask the UConn fans, some of them would probably opine that ESPN's highlighting a UConn loss would not be a sign of favoritism; quite the contrary. We spent the ENTIRE 2017-18 season watching ESPN highlight the Morgan William buzzer-beater from the previous Final Four loss. Believe me, that didn't feel like a favor.

I hope my esteemed Pac-12 friends can recognize I'm being playful. I was one who, e.g., in 2016 stood up for the Pac-12 against the then-common refrain that they were "overrated" ... prior to their placing 3 teams in the Elite Eight and 2 in the Final Four. Sadly, some were reprising the refrain last season as well; that was some seriously bad karma.

Reaction Score
Stanford absolutely missed Kianna Williams. KW was a stabling force, handling the ball, and knowing when to shoot (and make) for 3, or drive into the paint. I think Tara will have a better ball handling guard by the time the PAC-12 season starts. Funny that this was the day Stanford unfurled their banner and got their rings. If any team can recover, and rebound from this loss it is a Tara V team. Very impressed with Vic and how well his team fights all game long. They rarely take a play off.

Reaction Score

They are gonna be in the SEC in a short window. These teams Vic are building will be SEC ready.

Reaction Score
Not even remotely surprised that Vic pulled it off. After seeing what he was able to accomplish in season one at Texas even with Covid restrictions, I knew his teams would continue to be dangerous. Especially against a Stanford team that isn't returning it's starting PG and leading scorer. I still think Stanford will be fine and improve but this Texas team was a bad matchup for them this early in the season.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
So ESPN gets no credit for televising this game? Only a bad rap for not announcing the loss in a major headline?

And if you were to ask the UConn fans, some of them would probably opine that ESPN's highlighting a UConn loss would not be a sign of favoritism; quite the contrary. We spent the ENTIRE 2017-18 season watching ESPN highlight the Morgan William buzzer-beater from the previous Final Four loss. Believe me, that didn't feel like a favor.
Respectfully, I do think UConn fans are a bit delusional when it comes to their perceptions about whether ESPN favors or disfavors them. The reason why that play was shown ad infinitem was because of how enormous it was: a nationally unknown 5'5" David beats the four-time-repeating national champion Goliath with a buzzer beater in the national semifinals. If that's not a play to repeat all season to rep some parity for the women's game (long one of the biggest critiques of the sport), I don't know what is.

Think of if this way: California and Texas are the two largest states in the country, and have four of the top ten media markets in the U.S. Stanford has the most national championships of any school; Texas is tenth all time.

UConn's only non-basketball championships in the past two decades are women's field hockey. IMHO, Husky fans should be thankful they get as much coverage as they get, even of their losses, for a school in a tiny state in a non-existent media market that's mostly a one-sport pony. And I can't help but think it's not a coincidence that ESPN's headquarters is a stone's throw from Storrs.

From where I'm looking, that attention, even of its losses, is looking mighty desirable to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom