Vic Schaefer pulls off another shocker | The Boneyard

Vic Schaefer pulls off another shocker

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Vic Schaefer may be the best coach in WBB when it comes to shutting down a high scoring offense. In 2017, Vic’s MS St Bulldogs stunned UConn in OT of the national semifinals. Last season his TX Longhorns shocked high scoring MD in the Elite 8 game.

Today Vic’s TX team pulled off yet another stunner at defending national champion Stanford with a 61-56 victory, outscoring the Cardinal 26-16 in the 4th qtr.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Vic Schaefer may be the best coach in WBB when it comes to shutting down a high scoring offense. In 2017, Vic’s MS St Bulldogs stunned UConn in OT of the national semifinals. Last season his TX Longhorns shocked high scoring MD in the Elite 8 game.

Today Vic’s TX team pulled off yet another stunner at defending national champion Stanford with a 61-56 victory, outscoring the Cardinal 26-16 in the 4th qtr.
Favorite stat of the game is Texas wins with just 3 assists lol

Reaction Score
Not really a shocker. At least not for me. I don’t think folks understand how important Williams was for that team. They have no real floor general. Plus look at the games they lost last year. they struggle when they play tough defense teams. They had 21 turnovers in their opener, so again not complete shock

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not really a shocker. At least not for me. I don’t think folks understand how important Williams was for that team. They have no real floor general. Plus look at the games they lost last year. they struggle when they play tough defense teams. They had 21 turnovers in their opener, so again not complete shock
Hard to say how things will play out, but it is neither ridiculous nor silly to think that Stanford misses Williams.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
To be fair, it's the opening game of the season so Stanford's offense is a work in progress. Stanford's offense typically thrives on good ball movement and getting clean looks, but they usually lack a good bailout player and can struggle if ball movement doesn't create good looks. Vic's offense relies heavily on dribble drives and 1 on 1 play, so if Texas can turn it into an ugly game, they're very dangerous with players who can create their own offense. We saw that play out today with Stanford's offense going flat and Matharu just taking over.

I will say, Matharu is one of the more intriguing players in women's basketball...I remember as a freshman she was seldom used, but when she did get minutes she could just score at will. She came off the bench out of nowhere and tore up SC when they played. We saw the same thing tonight, where she had 16 in the 4th quarter and took over the game. I'm not sure if she's capable of being a go to player, or if she best thrives as a spark plug of offensive energy, but she is fun to watch and should provide much needed offense for Vic.

Harmon also appears to be an excellent 1 on 1 scorer. She is going to be fantastic. 21 points

Stanford will be fine. It's the first big game of the season and Texas presents different obstacles than most teams do. Entertaining game to start the year though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When Vic starts to ramp up recruiting at TX, as I am sure he will, he has a real opportunity to start hunting national championships every year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
When Vic starts to ramp up recruiting at TX, as I am sure he will, he has a real opportunity to start hunting national championships every year.
Maybe. There are a handful of elite programs out there at the top of women's basketball that might not be going anywhere for the next few years. And, then there are a few who are fighting to get there. Texas is behind those programs; but, yeah, getting some more elite recruits or transfers will surely help get there sooner.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Really unbelievable. It was a lot of one-on-one plays by Harmon and Matharu, and that was all the offense Texas needed.
God bless Saint Vic but his dribble, dribble, dribble, pound the ball into the hardwood offense is tough to watch. He will have some success but I do wonder whether really good offensive players will choose to play for him.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe. There are a handful of elite programs out there at the top of women's basketball that might not being going anywhere for the next few years. And, then there are a few who are fighting to get there. Texas is behind those programs; but, yeah, getting some more elite recruits or transfers will surely help get there sooner.
IMO, at TX Vic should be able to recruit with the best programs in the country, an advantage VIc didn’t have at MS st.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
To be fair, it's the opening game of the season so Stanford's offense is a work in progress. Stanford's offense typically thrives on good ball movement and getting clean looks, but they usually lack a good bailout player and can struggle if ball movement doesn't create good looks. Vic's offense relies heavily on dribble drives and 1 on 1 play, so if Texas can turn it into an ugly game, they're very dangerous with players who can create their own offense. We saw that play out today with Stanford's offense going flat and Matharu just taking over.

I will say, Matharu is one of the more intriguing players in women's basketball...I remember as a freshman she was seldom used, but when she did get minutes she could just score at will. She came off the bench out of nowhere and tore up SC when they played. We saw the same thing tonight, where she had 16 in the 4th quarter and took over the game. I'm not sure if she's capable of being a go to player, or if she best thrives as a spark plug of offensive energy, but she is fun to watch and should provide much needed offense for Vic.

Harmon also appears to be an excellent 1 on 1 scorer. She is going to be fantastic. 21 points

Stanford will be fine. It's the first big game of the season and Texas presents different obstacles than most teams do. Entertaining game to start the year though.
Stanford shooting 4-27 (14.8%) is what really did them in; and, most were wide open, uncontested looks. Make a couple of those, and they win the game; or, don't take a few of them and try to work the ball inside to your taller, quicker post players and make a few bank shots.

At some point, you have to accept that your team isn't shooting the 3-pointer well and stop. One of those 4 makes was like NBA range from your 6'5 Ashton Pretchel with like 1 minute left in the game.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Now Stanford gets a taste of what it's like when you have a target on your back. Now the team (not Tara) knows what it's like when you have a large sample size, teams are studious about game film and scheme specifically for you. This is a Tara team however. Like Geno said, come tomorrow she'll have lots of ears at full attention listening to what she says.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Now Stanford gets a taste of what it's like when you have a target on your back. Now the team (not Tara) knows what it's like when you have a large sample size, teams are studious about game film and scheme specifically for you. This is a Tara team however. Like Geno said, come tomorrow she'll have lots of ears at full attention listening to what she says.
Tbh Stanford is well accustomed to having a target on its back. Two years ago, a #1-ranked Stanford went to Austin and got stunned by a Karen Aston-coached team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
God bless Saint Vic but his dribble, dribble, dribble, pound the ball into the hardwood offense is tough to watch. He will have some success but I do wonder whether really good offensive players will choose to play for him.
I don't expect it will deter players. SC rarely has a pretty offense and Dawn is landing top kids left and right. Good recruiters and a winning program will bring in 5 star recruits.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
IMO, at TX Vic should be able to recruit with the best programs in the country, an advantage VIc didn’t have at MS st.
Yes and no. How does Vic convince the cream of the crop to come to Texas instead of UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Baylor who have all won national titles recently? Getting to the Elite 8 last season unexpectedly, and beating #3 Stanford helps. But, without those milestones, it's a tough mountain to climb

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom