via duffy looks like ollie has a year contract. enough time? | The Boneyard

via duffy looks like ollie has a year contract. enough time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
this is so stupid you cant do anything with a one year contract this will hurt recruiting

Reaction Score
Should give him two just for show. If he proves to be a lousy game coach you buy out the second year.

Reaction Score
How is a head coach supposed to show confidence to recruits when hes ALREADY in a contract year..?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
wtf warde, i already posted about this earlier. your going to f yourself quick here. this season is no win as of right now. not the time to be with this type of thing. 3 or 4 years!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
This is why Ollie should have coached a couple games during Calhoun's absences. At least you would have a feel for what kind of in game guy he would be and hopefully that would give enough confidence to give 2 years. In reality this season is a warm up in itself given the lack of a postseason. There won't be any pressure. So next season will really show what he can do.

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree (and reverse course). Warde, you lost your measuring contest with Jim. Just admit defeat.

Reaction Score
Clearly everyone here wants Ollie to succeed and I know I'm in the minority opinion on hiring someone else, but what did we hire an AD for if the decision to hire the next Head Coach is going to come from Calhoun? Warde has to at least appear like Calhoun isn't calling the shots.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
warde took this job knowing what was coming.

Reaction Score
They are hiring a person who has been a third assistant for two years as head coach at one of the ten biggest schools in the country. No other assistant in the country would even be considered for this gig if this happened in April. There would be head coaches from BCS schools begging for this gig. Ward owes Ollie nothing, and is giving him a great chance to show him something and land this job. With the limitations, it will not be totally tied with wins or losses or even bringing in a top recruit or two. It is that he can handle the program and provide the coaching ability that many people think he can provide. Kevin, do work!

Seriously, if UConn hired a third year assistant form some other school as head coach, how would people here feel about it? How much does anyone here actually know of KO's coaching ability? Nothing.

Reaction Score
Are they actually going to use the term interim head coach? I hope not - They better introduce him as the new Head Coach. If he looks good halfway thru the year give him a 2 yr extension. He deserves 3 years - if we are not a 20plus win team by then we need to move on

Reaction Score
Clearly everyone here wants Ollie to succeed and I know I'm in the minority opinion on hiring someone else, but what did we hire an AD for if the decision to hire the next Head Coach is going to come from Calhoun? Warde has to at least appear like Calhoun isn't calling the shots.

I don't give a what position someone holds. I want the person who knows the game and knows what makes bball coaches successful to make the decision. I don't care if he's the chief parking enforcement officer. Is it too much to ask an expert to make the decision?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

No he has to appear as if he's on the same page and enthusiastic about the idea. That is the smart play.

Reaction Score
No he has to appear as if he's on the same page and enthusiastic about the idea. That is the smart play.

And a full year of the "unknown" while he is out recruiting will not help and will add fuel to the opposing coaches fire!! Bad bad move unless they give at least 2 years...........whomever said 4 yrs/2 guaranteed had it spot on.........Warde can swing his d**k after the 2nd year if things are going wayward!!

Reaction Score
1 year contract means 0 more recruits... Unless they know something we don't know... Which is probably hopefully please god the case...

Either way, why even mention the length?

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Maybe this is to save face with Calhoun? Ollie coaches a meaningless season, is fired, and then we land Shaka or someone else.

I hope Ollie kicks ass out there.

Reaction Score
They are hiring a person who has been a third assistant for two years as head coach at one of the ten biggest schools in the country. No other assistant in the country would even be considered for this gig if this happened in April. There would be head coaches from BCS schools begging for this gig. Ward owes Ollie nothing, and is giving him a great chance to show him something and land this job. With the limitations, it will not be totally tied with wins or losses or even bringing in a top recruit or two. It is that he can handle the program and provide the coaching ability that many people think he can provide. Kevin, do work!

Seriously, if UConn hired a third year assistant form some other school as head coach, how would people here feel about it? How much does anyone here actually know of KO's coaching ability? Nothing.

You give coaches multiple years even if they as much about basketball as Bugs Bunny.

You don't plan to fail... like UConn is currently doing.

Reaction Score
Just give 4 years and have a minimal penalty for early termination. Can't believe WM couldn't even think of that - this is bad PR.

Reaction Score
Just give 4 years and have a minimal penalty for early termination. Can't believe WM couldn't even think of that - this is bad PR.

Like WM didn't think of that. JC wanted KO. WM was not as sold on the idea, but allowed a 1 year deal as interim as much to avoid insulting the legendary coach (and pre-empt all the negative media/fan harangues) for dissing JC on his way out. The interim tag makes sense considering the timing. That's the lesson learned from the cautionary tale of what the UNC AD did when they acquiesced to Dean Smith (their legendary equivilent to JC) who pushed the school to choose Asst. Bill Guthrie as successor under a long term deal.

I'm with Progrocks on this one. No way KO gets the gig but for the bad timing of JC leaving. I'm pulling for the team to succeed but I'll be surprised if KO is not replaced next year. WM (rightfully) wants to choose the people who will determine his fate as AD.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Obviously they didn't want to hire him at all. So he gets one year. Recruits won't care, JC has been an uncertain proposition for years. Even if Ollie is decent, if Donovan will come in the spring, I want him. This is the result of JC delaying.

Reaction Score
Obviously they didn't want to hire him at all. So he gets one year. Recruits won't care, JC has been an uncertain proposition for years. Even if Ollie is decent, if Donovan will come in the spring, I want him. This is the result of JC delaying.

Your opinion has been known.....Billy Donovan? nice try.........they go from Kevin Ollie to a guy who will ask for twice as much as JC.......maybe you can ask for Coach K....lol ....

Oh better yet Brad Stevens.....we can watch the team score 50 points a game and then go home to watch the paint dry....people are fn funny!!:rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Your opinion has been known.....Billy Donovan? nice try.........they go from Kevin Ollie to a guy who will ask for twice as much as JC.......maybe you can ask for Coach K....lol ....

Oh better yet Brad Stevens.....we can watch the team score 50 points a game and then go home to watch the paint dry....people are fn funny!!:rolleyes:

I don't think it would or could be Donovan, it's just an example. If they can lure some other very strong coach, they should.

I think Nostical has it right above. KO was forced on the administration. I think that's worse for him, as he may not even get a fair chance. I don't see how it affects recruiting. Kevin Ollie is the worst case scenario for a recruit. It will be him, or somebody better than him, with a bigger name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom