Very OT: Favorite non-computer toy(s) growing up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Very OT: Favorite non-computer toy(s) growing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I inherited a bunch from an uncle. Got involved in a cut throat game of marbles and lost some. My parents took the rest away and grounded me.

Crystal Poppers!! LOL

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Little did we know back then ....

Also had an original huge Millennium Falcon which my mother gave away after a few years ... :(

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Still got mine. Too banged up to be worth anything though. I used my toys.

I preferred the trash compactor anyway.

Reaction Score
For as long as I can remember, I had Matchbox Cars/Hot wheels.

As I got a little older I got into GI Joe and Transformers. I even had the aircraft carrier!

Finally the WWF action figures. Those were damn fun. Between my neighbor and I, we could reenact most Wrestlemania matches.

As for outdoor toys, I was always on my bike or scooter. Snow forts were a necessity, especially living on a corner where the plows piled up the snow.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a game of 2-hand touch, kickball and hide & seek

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
In no order:

Monster Magnet
Superball
Beanie and Cecil hand puppet that talked.
Fireball XL-5 model
Astroboy anything
Matches (long story on that one)

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Back in the day, it was all about Big Wheels and Green Machines in my neighborhood.

And if you didn't have one (like yours truly), you built your own ride: a large plank of wood, a cut-out milk crate for a seat, two smaller sticks for the axles, some steering rope, a braking lever, a bunch of old nails to hold everything together, and wheels of course - if you were lucky enough to find them, you rolled with baby-stroller wheels up front and old Big Wheel or Green Machine wheels in back.

We kids used to ride in packs and race each other, and with all the steep hills in Waterbury we had big fun with those things. Until we had to haul them back uphill, of course...

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A spaldeen.
Growing up in NYC, a spaldeen was a must for stick ball and stoop ball.

So I guess NYC got the good ones. In Bridgeport, all we got was the ones marked "second". Never saw the real thing in any of the store in my neighborhood in the fifties.

Reaction Score
Ok I was just a little degenerate at times. I did pitch a few pennies in my youth (yes pennies). Not sure if youngsters know what I'm talking about.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Ok I was just a little degenerate at times. I did pitch a few pennies in my youth (yes pennies). Not sure if youngsters know what I'm talking about.

The trick was to aim at the ant hills against the wall. It's like landing a horseshoe in a horseshoe pit.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
1 The old GI Joes
2 Big Jim
3 Micronauts ( Toys and comic book).
4 The Adventure People
5 All comic books drawn by John Byrne , John Romita jr
And George Perez.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Back in the day, it was all about Big Wheels and Green Machines in my neighborhood.

And if you didn't have one (like yours truly), you built your own ride: a large plank of wood, a cut-out milk crate for a seat, two smaller sticks for the axles, some steering rope, a braking lever, a bunch of old nails to hold everything together, and wheels of course - if you were lucky enough to find them, you rolled with baby-stroller wheels up front and old Big Wheel or Green Machine wheels in back.

We kids used to ride in packs and race each other, and with all the steep hills in Waterbury we had big fun with those things. Until we had to haul them back uphill, of course...

our "go-carts" were made from the bottom of grocery store carriages... souped-up

Reaction Score
I was either in the woods or playing sports. Wiffle ball, football, basketball. Had a ping pong table in the basement, we would play all the time.

Reaction Score

Not sure what was better, the cars or the music to the commercial...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Not sure what was better, the cars or the music to the commercial...

Loved these; only problem was it was impossible not to lose all the small parts that flew off when they smashed into eac other.

Reaction Score
My favorite toy was the Cadaco All Star Baseball game. Each all star would have a disk with numbers around the outside. Each number stood for a baseball play. For example, the number one was a home run. The number three was a triple. Babe Ruth had a huge number one. The larger the width, the greater chance for that play.

I had teams setup in a league and kept very detailed stats on paper. This was before computers and the internet back in the late sixties.

Attachments

• TEMPLATE cadaco baseball card 1968 NM.JPG
    TEMPLATE cadaco baseball card 1968 NM.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 73

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
My favorite toy was the Cadaco All Star Baseball game. Each all star would have a disk with numbers around the outside. Each number stood for a baseball play. For example, the number one was a home run. The number three was a triple. Babe Ruth had a huge number one. The larger the width, the greater chance for that play.

I had teams setup in a league and kept very detailed stats on paper. This was before computers and the internet back in the late sixties.
I used to invent my own dice game for a solitaire baseball game. I am amazed at how I perfected it over the years. Rainy days were fun by myself sometimes.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

LOVED that game. Jim Rice had a huge home run area too. Haven't thought of that game in years

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

The trick was to aim at the ant hills against the wall. It's like landing a horseshoe in a horseshoe pit.
Man I have vague memories of this from elementry school. Hadn't thought of it for years. This was in the early 80s...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Man I have vague memories of this from elementry school. Hadn't thought of it for years. This was in the early 80s...

Late 60's, early 70's for me. Teachers didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom