Very interested to see the atmosphere in Bridgeport on Saturday. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Very interested to see the atmosphere in Bridgeport on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The atmosphere was solid but it is like amateur hour here. The staff, parking, facilities, etc., are totally unprepared for 10,000 fans. Gampel looks like Grand Central compared to this.
Yes the traffic was ridiculous. I missed the opening tip because it took over 1/2 hour from the 95 exit ramp to the garage. I will take the train from Milford next time. Oh and wtf $20 for parking.

Reaction Score
Yes the traffic was ridiculous. I missed the opening tip because it took over 1/2 hour from the 95 exit ramp to the garage. I will take the train from Milford next time. Oh and wtf $20 for parking.

It's Fairfield County...can't everyone afford $20 for parking?? ;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Seemed like a hit to me. As I expected, tons of families, many (like ours) with multiple generations from grand kids to grandparents.

We had the cheapest seats in the house and they were very good--better than 50% of the seats at the XL. Literally not a bad seat in the house, with great sight lines throughout.

I thought the concessions were excellent and well run. I know enough to avoid going at peak times at any event, and I was able to get very good beer (4 different Two Roads beers on tap in two locations, plus Sierra Nevada) and a damn good pulled pork sandwich from Wilson's, a local vendor, with no wait whatsoever. Same for my kids, who got Rita's custard and slurpy-type things. We all got great freebies, from the Dunkin' Donuts bonehead for my youngest, to the free Webster Bank Husky tees (100% cotton, and pretty nice for a freebie), men's and women's team posters, programs and calendars.

I knew from past experience with the venue that traffic is an issue. We parked in Stratford for free, took the train one stop (five minutes) and were deposited a five-minute walk away from the venue. Train times worked very well--no rushing needed.

Hope they do it again. Pretty sure they will.

Oh yeah, we won.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
logistics aside, i thought today was a very enjoyable experience. the place was sold out, the crowd was far more appreciative than any xl one, and overall had a great afternoon. i would have to think that it was a huge success and one that uconn will continue going forward.

Reaction Score
I think this is great especially the family part.
AZ Huskie became a. Lifetime fan when he started to accompany me to games in New Haven. when he was seven or eight . We followed the team back to Hartford and Storrs.
For lack of a better word there is a huge subway alumni aspect to UConn .throughout the state.
It's akin to Nebraska,Kentucky, Indiana . This group has not embraced football to the same degree but the potential is there.

Reaction Score
The crowd was quiet in the beginning but got better as the game progressed. We were the only people cheering loudly in our section, there was a smattering of applause at the right times.

Did the football cheerleaders lock up the U-C-O-N-N letters after their season ended? That would be an easy, great way to get the crowd amped up.

I saw President Herbst leaving the Arena and thanked her for the chance to see the Huskies in Bridgeport. She said that it was a good afernoon and the women will be back in a few weeks. Hopefully there will be more games in the future, I think Fairfield and New Haven counties showed well today.

We arrived downtown at 11:30 and found free street parking before going to Tiago's for lunch (great burgers and sandwiches). It was an easy walk to the Arena and a five minute drive to 95 after the game. The concourse was very crowded at halftime, I'll plan better next time.

Disappointed that new football coach Diaco wasn't introduced during one of the time outs like he was at one of the XL Center games. Seems like a missed opportunity to get some face time with southwestern Connecticut fans.

Reaction Score
It would be very easy for the football team to hold one of their Saturday scrimmages in Bridgeport or Stamford. That would also sell Huskies sports in southwest Connecticut.

Today's game was long overdue.

Reaction Score

Train is great. Five minute walk to the platform from the arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom