very deceptive final | The Boneyard

very deceptive final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But I'll take 80 pts vs a slow down team and a 15 win any day. Boys hit their shots!

Reaction Score
Lol, no the score was very accurate. They played close for 30-35 minutes and got choked out at the end. This game was basically a carbon copy of the Dayton game, and that score was accurate as well.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Now if Purv can do this consistently it would be huge

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When one is laying 7, one only cares what the score is not what it should be.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised Columbia had beaten Hofstra. They are fundamentally sound. This was a good W.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think it was deceptive.

I thought UConn had Columbia handled defensively as early as the second five minutes of the second half, but undermined themselves with fast, stupid or just bad shots on offense.

We kept letting the lead hang at three, but it was a little like a very tall boxer holding his opponent at bay with a hand on his head - eventually, he'll start pounding him.

Hamilton had a terrible game most of the way - ironic that he's the one that eventually dropped a rock on Columbia.

Reaction Score
But I'll take 80 pts vs a slow down team and a 15 win any day. Boys hit their shots!
What a wet blanket.

There really is 0 point to this thread other then to try to be downer

Reaction Score
Was at the game. It was a good game not great.

Boat seemingly is still not trusting his teammates to hit outside shots. This game (players hitting shots) will hopefully change that. He is a great player, who has not yet mastered the point guard position. If only we had another 'reliable' ball handler then I see Boat having outstanding games playing the off guard at times. They were keying on him, converging on him and frustrating him via hacking. Actually Boat needs to be the Ferrari to let loose, but this team is just not suited for his style. Mostly because of inexperience and youth. Perhaps someone will help him because he is AA worthy.

Quietly Omar hit a couple of buckets from outside. I saw no lingering health issues. That was great to see.

Purvis looked much more confident, and particularly in the 2nd half didn't hesitate like he used to. This led to very good results.

I think DHam also needs to take the open shot (talking 1st half), as I was noticing him pass on the jumper to drive and make a much more difficult shot. Ollie needs to tell him to shoot without hesitation (2nd half) because he is becoming our best player. The crowd was yelling at him (and Purvis) to shoot the open shot but they both seemed hesitant, It clicked in the 2nd half.

Amida is a year away from beasting. Unfortunately this season will be chalked up to simply learning and improving. He is not ready to dominate, even though you can see it coming. Skilled big men give him problems on the defensive side, and offensively he just doesn't pass the ball.

Lubin looks small in person he too is a year or so away.

Nolan, well his role is to spell Amida and not make many mistakes. His hands are just weak. Sorry but I can't see much production coming from him this season. He is what he is.

T-Sam also showed more confidence tonight, sure he made a couple of mistakes but he was a factor. He hit some nice jumpers. He hustles and does not take plays off. I saw confidence in his eyes. All good.

Facey was a non-factor for this game, Columbia had some tall boys which may have had something to do with it.

Casell Jr. plays like his sneakers have weights. Its evident in person that he prefers a slow pace style game.

My take is that this team can win the AAC crown and get seeded in the Tourney. We will not roll over anyone, but we have the pieces to beat them all. Ollie will see to that.

We are still missing something, what it is I don't know. I'm sure Ollie is searching for it but most of our opponents are playing us too close for comfort.

By the way none of the Columbia players would start on our team, so yes they are a good team but one we should have handled better. We pulled away in the last 2 1/2 minutes. So it was a good game not great. This is a building block type of a game, CSCU should be another block. I think we will see a confident team and one that is slowly coming together.

Then we should be ready to beat Florida and Stanford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Boat seemingly is still not trusting his teammates to hit outside shots. This game (players hitting shots) will hopefully change that. He is a great player, who has not yet mastered the point guard position. If only we had another 'reliable' ball handler then Boat would having outstanding games playing the off guard at times. They were keying on him, converging on him and frustrating him via hacking. Actually Boat needs to be the Ferrari to let loose, but this team is just not suited for his style. Mostly because of inexperience and youth. Perhaps someone will help him because he is AA worthy.

Quietly Omar hit a couple of buckets from outside. I saw no lingering health issues. That was great to see.

Purvis looked much more confident, and particularly in the 2nd half didn't hesitate like he used to. This led to very good results.

I think DHam also needs to take the open shot (talking 1st half), as I was noticing him pass on the jumper to drive and make a much more difficult shot. Ollie needs to tell him to shoot without hesitation (2nd half) because he is becoming our best player. The crowd was yelling at him (and Purvis) to shoot the open shot but they both seemed hesitant, It clicked in the 2nd half.

Amida is a year away from beasting. Unfortunately this season will be chalked up to simply learning and improving. He is not ready to dominate, even though you can see it coming. Skilled big men give him problems on the defensive side, and offensively he just doesn't pass the ball.

Nolan, well his role is to spell Amida and not make many mistakes. His hands are just weak. Sorry but I can't see much production coming from him this season. He is what he is.

T-Sam also showed more confidence tonight, sure he made a couple of mistakes but he was a factor. He hit some nice jumpers. He hustles and does not take plays off. I saw confidence in his eyes. All good.

Facey was a non-factor for this game, Columbia had some tall boys which may have had something to do with it.

Casell Jr. plays like his sneakers have weights. Its evident in person that he prefers a slow pace style game.

My take is that this team can win the AAC crown and get seeded in the Tourney. We will not roll over anyone, but we have the pieces to beat them all. Ollie will see to that.

We are still missing something, what it is I don't know. I'm sure Ollie is searching for it but most of our opponents are playing us too close for comfort.

By the way none of the Columbia players would start on our team, so yes they are a good team but one we should have handled better. We pulled away in the last 2 1/2 minutes. So it was a good game not great. This is a building block type of a game, CSCU should be another block. I think we will see a confident team and one that is slowly coming together.

I'm almost positive Lo would start for UConn.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm surprised Columbia had beaten Hofstra. They are fundamentally sound. This was a good W.

Is Hofstra any good this year?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Omar showed flashes tonight, which beats being an extinguished flame in the rain. How about the play where he flashed to the foul line and fed one of the bigs down low? When is the last time Omar went inside the arc? 2011?

Also thought that Samuel had a very impressive game, especially considering the injury. Wasn't sure that Boat was hurt, it seemed mostly like a shoe issue.

Reaction Score
A lot in this post I disagreed with but this certainly stands out, that kid Lo is a stud and could certainly start for UConn.

Boat seemingly is still not trusting his teammates to hit outside shots. This game (players hitting shots) will hopefully change that. He is a great player, who has not yet mastered the point guard position. If only we had another 'reliable' ball handler then I see Boat having outstanding games playing the off guard at times. They were keying on him, converging on him and frustrating him via hacking. Actually Boat needs to be the Ferrari to let loose, but this team is just not suited for his style. Mostly because of inexperience and youth. Perhaps someone will help him because he is AA worthy.

Reaction Score
zls44 said:
Is Hofstra any good this year?

They're ok (7-3). All their transfers are eligible that sat out last year (a couple guys who came with Mihalich from Niagara and a shooter from SMU). They lost to USF by one after blowing a 10-point lead in the last 3 minutes.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how Osetkowski held his own against Kentucky. He got absolutely chumped tonight.

Reaction Score
Guys, we were up by as little as 3 with as little as 5 minutes to go before an onslaught of 3s. You really think this was a typical 15 pt win?

Not trying to be a downer, even had positivity in my OP.
Purvis, Samuel and Omar all hit jumpers tonight. Gotta like that.

Reaction Score
Kitaman said:
Was at the game. It was a good game not great. Boat seemingly is still not trusting his teammates to hit outside shots. This game (players hitting shots) will hopefully change that. He is a great player, who has not yet mastered the point guard position.

Can't agree with that. Maybe in certain stretches when he was looking to score when we needed a lift (early 2H we didn't get RP a look when I imagine Boat may have missed him). But not for the whole game. When guys made shots, Boat kept finding them and he had a quiet 8 assists, by making the same passes that have typically resulted in up fakes earlier this season (or in Cassell's case, misses).

Boat took his last shot with 10:30 left, and had five assists die the stretch (four of which are below, plus an alley oop to Brimah).

GOOD! JUMPER by Purvis, Rodney 18:30 6-0 H 6
ASSIST by Boatright, Ryan 18:30

GOOD! 3 PTR by Purvis, Rodney 04:25 29-29 T 4
ASSIST by Boatright, Ryan 04:25

GOOD! 3 PTR by Purvis, Rodney 06:47 58-52 H 6
ASSIST by Boatright, Ryan 06:47

GOOD! 3 PTR by Hamilton, Daniel 05:33 61-55 H 6
ASSIST by Boatright, Ryan 05:33

GOOD! 3 PTR by Hamilton, Daniel 04:39 64-56 H 8
ASSIST by Boatright, Ryan 04:39

GOOD! 3 PTR by Hamilton, Daniel 01:45 74-59 H 15
ASSIST by Boatright, Ryan 01:45

Reaction Score
Was at game had great time with my sons and grandson.

Few quick positive thoughts.

Seeing Omar on floor looking confident and hitting short jumper was a feel-good moment and will hopefully lead to more floor time and points.

Purvis played within himself and with confidence and produced at both ends. If this continues will help provide uplift to offense which needs more options. Scorers are there in potential and IMHO should Purvis produce at this level it will allow Hamilton to grow as offensive threat without pressure of always being second scoring option.

Team looked great against 2-3 zone - period.

Most positive observation - team played good intense defense on two consecutive Columbia possessions in last 6 minutes, crowd and bench were into it, both led to 3-pointers at other end, stretched lead, team relaxed into pull-away win. Hopefully the results of their success on defense will result in much longer stretches of this level of defensive effort.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
you mean we didn't score 80 and they didn't score 65?

when their 3's stopped falling, we pulled away

not exactly rocket science

Reaction Score
Guys, we were up by as little as 3 with as little as 5 minutes to go before an onslaught of 3s. You really think this was a typical 15 pt win?

Not trying to be a downer, even had positivity in my OP.
Purvis, Samuel and Omar all hit jumpers tonight. Gotta like that.
We were up 11 with 4 to go.

There was no point to the thread beyond trying to find something to complain about.

WTF is a typical 15 point win? I am pretty sure it is when you win by 15 points, which we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom