Vermont.... | The Boneyard

Vermont....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Next year could be a Sweet 16 sleeper. They will be starting 5 seniors next year and this year are picked to win the America East. Preventing a let down after a big win against Michigan State will really be another interesting test for our new head coach Kevin Ollie. If UConn comes out ready to play in this game and goes hard for 40 minutes it should be a solid 15 point win.

This game though has danger written all over it for UConn. This is the only big name opponent Vermont plays all year. This game was circled during the summer thinking it was winnable for the Catamounts. Vermont beat Siena on the road by 1 point to start the season and Siena is not going to be very good this year. Regardless it won't be easy unless UConn comes to play from the opening tip. If Ollie has them ready to go early it will be another serious early season statement about his coaching ability! Regardless he is the guy for the job.

I would jump on the + points in this game taking Vermont $$$$$$$$$$$$. Hope I'm wrong and UConn follows up the MSU game with another emotional hard fought solid win.

Reaction Score
These are the type of games Vuce that most teams have a tendency to not get up for after a huge W. Really looking forward to how the team comes out for this game against a capable team. Any coach would have a challenge on his hands. That's what makes this season so interesting with Kevin Ollie. He was impressive to say the least in the opener especially his humility after the game with Katz when he insisted on the team being present in the background for the interview. That was priceless.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
These are the type of games Vuce that most teams have a tendency to not get up for after a huge W. Really looking forward to how the team comes out for this game against a capable team. Any coach would have a challenge on his hands. That's what makes this season so interesting with Kevin Ollie. He was impressive to say the least in the opener especially his humility after the game with Katz when he insisted on the team being present in the background for the interview. That was priceless.
Totally agree on every count. I also agree it's a "trap game" in that after a huge win, flight back from Germany, emotional high, it will be hard to get the guys completely focused and ready to rock and roll.

IIRC, Vermont was done 16 at one point and came back to win. if Sienna is not very good and Vermont had to have a huge rally just to win, I'm thinking VT is not terribly good this year. It's a game we should win, and somehow I think Ollie knows how to get this team's attention...

Reaction Score
The only way Vermont makes the Sweet 16 next season is if half the top 25 is banned from the tournament. I understand we can have a let down after a big win over seas must like we had against UNH after Maui 2 years ago. But let's not go overboard.

Reaction Score
I think consistent and balanced guard play is the key to avoiding upsets. We have both boat and bazz, so i'm not worried. If walker struggled in 2011, than the team was at risk of losing to almost any decent team. I think we will also do some pressing against some of the weaker opponents and really cause havoc for the less athletic teams. It's tough to press against MSU because they are deep, athletic, and have bigs who can score up court if the guards beat the press. I don't know Vermont's roster all that well, but I don't think they fit all of those criteria.

Reaction Score
The only way Vermont makes the Sweet 16 next season is if half the top 25 is banned from the tournament. I understand we can have a let down after a big win over seas must like we had against UNH after Maui 2 years ago. But let's not go overboard.

I disagree and think Vermont could get as high as a #13 seed in next years tournament (depending on their body of work this year and next). They then would join Richmond, Valpo, Oklahoma, Bradley and Ohio as #13 seeds accomplishing that goal. If they drop to a #14 the odds are drastically reduced as only 2 teams I think ever made the Sweet 16 as #14 seeds. My point is Vermont will be very good next year and could have a shot at the #13. This year you can't sleep on them or UConn could find themselves in a close game in the last 5 minutes.

That's why a strong performance in this game has great value to Kevin Ollie. Huskies will have ups and downs this year but to follow up the MSU game with a passion filled performance against Vermont to me equals another major statement for Kevin Ollie. I would love to see it!

Reaction Score
Totally agree on every count. I also agree it's a "trap game" in that after a huge win, flight back from Germany, emotional high, it will be hard to get the guys completely focused and ready to rock and roll.

IIRC, Vermont was done 16 at one point and came back to win. if Sienna is not very good and Vermont had to have a huge rally just to win, I'm thinking VT is not terribly good this year. It's a game we should win, and somehow I think Ollie knows how to get this team's attention...
The UConn win in Germany was huge and emotion packed. That's what makes the Vermont game so fascinating. Really looking forward to watching that 1.

Reaction Score
I was already worried about this game due to the travel situation and it being sandwiched before the Paradise Jam trip, now with Boat jacking up his ankle the other day I'm even more concerned. This game will definitely tell alot about how KO has the team prepared coming off of that high, I'd be ecstatic over a blowout but if they just survive this one that would be more than fine.

Reaction Score
Next year could be a Sweet 16 sleeper. They will be starting 5 seniors next year and this year are picked to win the America East. Preventing a let down after a big win against Michigan State will really be another interesting test for our new head coach Kevin Ollie. If UConn comes out ready to play in this game and goes hard for 40 minutes it should be a solid 15 point win.

This game though has danger written all over it for UConn. This is the only big name opponent Vermont plays all year. This game was circled during the summer thinking it was winnable for the Catamounts. Vermont beat Siena on the road by 1 point to start the season and Siena is not going to be very good this year. Regardless it won't be easy unless UConn comes to play from the opening tip. If Ollie has them ready to go early it will be another serious early season statement about his coaching ability! Regardless he is the guy for the job.

I would jump on the + points in this game taking Vermont $$$$$$$$$$$$. Hope I'm wrong and UConn follows up the MSU game with another emotional hard fought solid win.
Siena also suspended their starting point guard and forward for the game and had to play a walk on at pg, thus I'm not so fearful.

Reaction Score
You guys act like this Uconn are the Heat walking through an NBA season to get to the playoffs. This is a team where the regular season IS THE WHOLE DEAL. Omar wants to show he can get over the jitters, TO that he can score and make plays underneath, DD wants to improve his handle - man these aren't Florida for their second championship in a row where they were semi interested during the regular season; this is a hungry, chip on shoulder, everyone wants to individually get better type team.
Coaching staff has more assistants that have been head coaching experience than an NBA team.
Lame to worry about "ready, prepared, trap game". I worry about Boat's ankle, foul trouble, missing shots, other team hot from 3, Calhoun pressing 'cause he was unsure of himself last game, small guards being taken advantage of - all basketball issues.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Is this the game where they honor Jim Calhoun?
If so I dont think we have to worry about a let down, our boys will get up for this game. They will want Jim to go out on a winning note.

H

Husk-E

Is this the game where they honor Jim Calhoun?
If so I dont think we have to worry about a let down, our boys will get up for this game. They will want Jim to go out on a winning note.
I completely agree. Could you imagine Calhoun going out with a loss to Vermont? The players wouldn't let that happen, i'm almost sure of it. If this is the game where they honor Calhoun then this looks like a win for us.

Reaction Score
You guys act like this Uconn are the Heat walking through an NBA season to get to the playoffs. This is a team where the regular season IS THE WHOLE DEAL. Omar wants to show he can get over the jitters, TO that he can score and make plays underneath, DD wants to improve his handle - man these aren't Florida for their second championship in a row where they were semi interested during the regular season; this is a hungry, chip on shoulder, everyone wants to individually get better type team.
Coaching staff has more assistants that have been head coaching experience than an NBA team.
Lame to worry about "ready, prepared, trap game". I worry about Boat's ankle, foul trouble, missing shots, other team hot from 3, Calhoun pressing 'cause he was unsure of himself last game, small guards being taken advantage of - all basketball issues.

You make some very fair points about the uniqueness of this season BUT the mental part of the game is also a big basketball issue so implying at the end of your post its not is a bit concerning. I see this as a challenging game for UConn against the # whatever that may be. It most likely will be inflated a bit based on first game results. I did say UConn would win 11 conference games though before Friday. Admittedly that is a high # but I have faith in Ollie as a coach and the players to rally around him.

Reaction Score
stop sandbagging, if we keep it under 20 , we'll consider it a "victory"

Could you provide us with some insight from VT's standpoint on the matchup, or are you just sandbagging from the North?

Reaction Score
Intersting thing in this game is that Ethan Oday, Vermont 6'9" player, was a teammate of Tyler Olander at EO Smith! I think Oday was year or two behind Olander though.

Reaction Score
UVM will run a flex offense. Very deliberate with the ball and usually will limit turnovers and try to slow the game down. They return a very seasoned team and may also be missing 6'10" center due to injury. UVM lost the conference rookie of the year to transfer and he was the teams leading scorer. They will try to play man to man but are not as athletic as the Huskies. They will play a 9 man rotation so they can bring alot of bodies to the floor. The coach is good and gets 40 mins of fight out of this team. Again, this UVM team can play with some of the mid-majors, but not UConn

Reaction Score
Oday will be a good player for us - showing alot of upside for a freshman

Intersting thing in this game is that Ethan Oday, Vermont 6'9" player, was a teammate of Tyler Olander at EO Smith! I think Oday was year or two behind Olander though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about this team, with this coach, looking past an opponent this season. KO has this team 'ten toes in'. With no post season every game is a statement.

Reaction Score
This is one more test on Ollie's report card. He got an 'A' in "Game Management' with his strategy against Izzo's boys. Now it's on to "Avoiding the Letdown". Hopefully Warde will not wait till midterms to extend Ollie's contract.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is one more test on Ollie's report card. He got an 'A' in "Game Management' with his strategy against Izzo's boys. Now it's on to "Avoiding the Letdown". Hopefully Warde will not wait till midterms to extend Ollie's contract.
Even JC struggled with the letdown. But I'm hoping anyways.

Reaction Score
UVM will run a flex offense. Very deliberate with the ball and usually will limit turnovers and try to slow the game down. They return a very seasoned team and may also be missing 6'10" center due to injury. UVM lost the conference rookie of the year to transfer and he was the teams leading scorer. They will try to play man to man but are not as athletic as the Huskies. They will play a 9 man rotation so they can bring alot of bodies to the floor. The coach is good and gets 40 mins of fight out of this team. Again, this UVM team can play with some of the mid-majors, but not UConn
Thanks for the insight. We appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom