Venting session - seasons that came to an end | The Boneyard

Venting session - seasons that came to an end

Reaction Score
We are here for u! Feel free to post ur thoughts on ur team, what went right or wrong. It's a judge free zone!

Reaction Score
For whatever reason, Stanford just hasn’t been able to recruit high quality guards since Kiana Williams, which I think was the root of most of their problems this year

Reaction Score
My team is UConn but I had a lot of fun and became a fan of a lot of teams this season. Some of those teams had disappointing ends to their season:
Texas: I feel like I've talked about them since the summer. They seemed like they really wanted to take the next step this year. But I think a combination of injuries and inconsistent play from their better players seemed to prevent them from getting to another level. Texas fans can probably speak better to this but I feel like Rori kinda regressed this season. Her shooting percentages were way down. She did average a lot more assist and she plays hard but I don't think she made a sophomore leap. Shaylee Gonzalez was who I was most excited for this season. I feel like when she was good she was very good and when she was bad she was pretty off. I wonder if she'll return. Even though she does have a year of eligibility left, I could see her leaving. I'm big on Taylor Jones, and she had a pretty up and down season as well. But I think this was a confidence thing and I'm not sure if she sees the playing time she desires when Moore coming back and the rest of the younger players.
Michigan is another interesting team. It's funny, before the season, if you were prognosticating, I think they ended probably where you would expect. They were virtually a top 20 team, pretty good when healthy but missed the sweet 16. I enjoyed watching their big three and sad to see their two 5th year studs (Brown and Kieser) leave. I was disappointed in Browns game in the 2nd round but I'm not sure she was healthy and to her credit, I'm not sure point guard is her best position. I'll be interested to see how the team does next year, but they definitely will need rebuild.
Indiana is the team I was most torn up about. I heard Marissa Coleman on a podcast call them potential frauds and I was so surprised. They were so balanced all season, had a 5th year and 4th year leading them. But to Marissa's point, I'm not sure anyone was afraid of them and they did at times struggle defending. Still I'm pretty bummed Mackenzie Holmes had been less than 100 percent for 2 straight post seasons and that Grace Berger didn't get to boost her draft stock.

Reaction Score
Anyone coming in that can help?
Nope not right away. Shay Bolin and Emma Koabel are both great shooters, but they will have to put in a lot of work this summer to earn playing time in the fall. They both need to get stronger and quicker to playing in the ACC.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arizona was proof that just having talented players doesn't make a team. Especially when many are transfers and all think they are the solution to all ills. I got that from the beginning of the season, heck it was all in public articles.

That Adia couldn't really "fix" it is my major disappointment. Not that, unfortunately, there were all that many ways to fix it and try to keep everyone happy.

Reaction Score
My team is UConn but I had a lot of fun and became a fan of a lot of teams this season. Some of those teams had disappointing ends to their season:
Texas: I feel like I've talked about them since the summer. They seemed like they really wanted to take the next step this year. But I think a combination of injuries and inconsistent play from their better players seemed to prevent them from getting to another level. Texas fans can probably speak better to this but I feel like Rori kinda regressed this season. Her shooting percentages were way down. She did average a lot more assist and she plays hard but I don't think she made a sophomore leap. Shaylee Gonzalez was who I was most excited for this season. I feel like when she was good she was very good and when she was bad she was pretty off. I wonder if she'll return. Even though she does have a year of eligibility left, I could see her leaving. I'm big on Taylor Jones, and she had a pretty up and down season as well. But I think this was a confidence thing and I'm not sure if she sees the playing time she desires when Moore coming back and the rest of the younger players.
Michigan is another interesting team. It's funny, before the season, if you were prognosticating, I think they ended probably where you would expect. They were virtually a top 20 team, pretty good when healthy but missed the sweet 16. I enjoyed watching their big three and sad to see their two 5th year studs (Brown and Kieser) leave. I was disappointed in Browns game in the 2nd round but I'm not sure she was healthy and to her credit, I'm not sure point guard is her best position. I'll be interested to see how the team does next year, but they definitely will need rebuild.
Indiana is the team I was most torn up about. I heard Marissa Coleman on a podcast call them potential frauds and I was so surprised. They were so balanced all season, had a 5th year and 4th year leading them. But to Marissa's point, I'm not sure anyone was afraid of them and they did at times struggle defending. Still I'm pretty bummed Mackenzie Holmes had been less than 100 percent for 2 straight post seasons and that Grace Berger didn't get to boost her draft stock.
I agree with much of what you say.

I also feel bad about Texas. They lost a lot with Aaliyah Moore. I hope she comes back even stronger next year. Most of the transfers seemed like disappointments, to me, though they were probably necessary as a stopgap. Only Taylor Jones really looks like a keeper to me, if she can stay healthy. I like her post game -- simple, direct and quick, and an excellent shot blocker. And I hope Muhammad and Mwenentanda really get a chance to develop. A lot of potential there. And I think you're right about Rori. Either it was the injury -- maybe she never fully recovered -- or it was the incoherence of the team she was left with in the second half, but she didn't seem nearly as dominant as last year. If they can return Moore, Jones, Muhammad, Mwenentanda, and Harmon all healthy, that's a tremendous core of talent.

I'm also surprised by Coleman's remark about Indiana. I think she's dead wrong. They were an excellent team, and Terri Moren did a better job of unifying her transfers than any other D1 coach. The only thing limiting them was Holmes' knee. I look for great things from them next year, too. Losing Berger will hurt, but if Scalia returns, this may be her moment to step up and lead a team. She has the talent and the personality for it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nope not right away. Shay Bolin and Emma Koabel are both great shooters, but they will have to put in a lot of work this summer to earn playing time in the fall. They both need to get stronger and quicker to playing in the ACC.
:(

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I also feel bad about Texas. [...] Most of the transfers seemed like disappointments, to me, though they were probably necessary as a stopgap. Only Taylor Jones really looks like a keeper to me, if she can stay healthy
Sonya Morris and Shaylee Gonzales are really good players but I don't think Texas was the best fit for either of them. It takes a very specific kind of guard to do what Vic wants and do it well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom