Vandy Part II - Official UCONN / Vandy Prediction Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Vandy Part II - Official UCONN / Vandy Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
O.K. -- I swear to all of you on my life that I am not having a fight with myself typing under a second name. You will know that because never, even to make a point, would I ever use "y'all" without quotes. LOL.

CVF: can you imagine for just a minute that having watched the two teams play against each other less than a year ago maybe, just maybe, allows for conclusions about talent with more of a basis than looking at old recruiting rankings?

No doubt, I'm not a person that believes in absolutes. Last year's UConn team was not only more talented, but much better prepared. That said, it was a 10 point game with 7 or 8 minutes to go in the game. Todman and Endres (sp) absolutely dominated us all day long and neither plays for UConn this year (I think, not 100% on that). You have to be a smart enough guy (if you're a lawyer, gotta be pretty smart to pass the bar in any state) to see where your original post was offensive. The talent gap stuff didn't bother me as much as going with the very topical and relevant Cival War blast. Whether it is the case or not, you just came off as an ass and I called you on it. The other stuff is just good for debate. I happen to give some credence to the recruiting services ( if you follow it at all, you probably would too), you and others totally dismissed that idea and claimed on the field results were the only way to judge talent. That idea is just silly, it give no credit whatsoever to coaching, which is probably equally as important to the actual talent on the field.

We're the worst program in the SEC by far, but we're certainly not devoid of talent. We hope that Franklin can give us some much needed coaching, recruiting and confidence to get us to the next level (for us, that means occasional bowl appearances).

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Your first point is true. Endres is gone, and that leaves us without a proven quarterback. Believe it or not, we are more confident that we will find a running game with the talent we have at OL and RB.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
No doubt, I'm not a person that believes in absolutes. Last year's UConn team was not only more talented, but much better prepared. That said, it was a 10 point game with 7 or 8 minutes to go in the game. Todman and Endres (sp) absolutely dominated us all day long and neither plays for UConn this year (I think, not 100% on that). You have to be a smart enough guy (if you're a lawyer, gotta be pretty smart to pass the bar in any state) to see where your original post was offensive. The talent gap stuff didn't bother me as much as going with the very topical and relevant Cival War blast. Whether it is the case or not, you just came off as an ass and I called you on it. The other stuff is just good for debate. I happen to give some credence to the recruiting services ( if you follow it at all, you probably would too), you and others totally dismissed that idea and claimed on the field results were the only way to judge talent. That idea is just silly, it give no credit whatsoever to coaching, which is probably equally as important to the actual talent on the field.

We're the worst program in the SEC by far, but we're certainly not devoid of talent. We hope that Franklin can give us some much needed coaching, recruiting and confidence to get us to the next level (for us, that means occasional bowl appearances).
Your words! And How can you say we were more talented and better prepared than last year??? You don't even know who our players are!

Your like RutgersAl you are Crazy, at least the name fits. Tell me is it TRUE Vandy needed three fourth down conversions to keep drives alive against Mighty Elon ??? Vandy converted only 4 of 13 third down conversions. And was forced to punt 5 times against Mighty Elon !! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My predictions:

1. Vandy coeds will impress large - maybe the best all season.
2. Neither team will score more than 17.
3. This is one of the few times all year that I will be happy that there's an SEC network cause this game is on in NC (Time Warner).
4. No outright prediction but i would take UConn and the 2 pts.
5. If both Os can't move the ball then thank god for 1.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
2 More things, 1.) UCONN was BE Conference Champ Last year, Vandy SEC Champ... not so much. 2.) 7 Home & 5 Away schedule wont help you tomorrow!

Reaction Score
My predictions:

1. Vandy coeds will impress large - maybe the best all season.
2. Neither team will score more than 17.
3. This is one of the few times all year that I will be happy that there's an SEC network cause this game is on in NC (Time Warner).
4. No outright prediction but i would take UConn and the 2 pts.
5. If both Os can't move the ball then thank god for 1.
I gotta agree with You.I see a low scoring game between the two teams.Uconn didn't exactly light it up against Fordham.Vandi wants payback from last year.Vandi covers the 1 1/2.Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I agree with Jimmy...I don't dispute the fact the SEC is the best league year-in and out, but it is very top heavy. #1-2 are usual pretty special teams, #3-4 are comparable to the top teams in other conferences. #10-12 are not much better than the deadweights in other leagues.

What was the SEC bowl record last year...I believe 5-5?

Uconn 34-13.

I think the SEC has been the best conference now for a while, but by no means are teams 1-12 great every year. Most years we suck, and by most, I mean most. As you mentioned, Ole Miss is usually pretty crappy, although they did have 2 straight Cotton Bowl wins a couple of years back. Mississippi State has been Vandy-West for about a five year stretch, but you can't say that anymore, Dan Mullen is a stud and he has them rolling right now. UGA and UF and ut are currently in a down cycle, but South Carolina is better than they've ever been. LSU, Bama and Arkansas are the class of the league this year and as you mentioned, Auburn will suck, they won't even make it to bowl eligibility. Overall, the league appears to be very down this year and I really don't see any way the SEC will win it's 6th consecutive National Championship. It's somebody else's turn.

Reaction Score
For those outside of CT, you can watch it on ESPN3

9/10 7:30 PM EDT NCAAF - Connecticut vs. Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
Your words! And How can you say we were more talented and better prepared than last year??? You don't even know who our players are!

Your like RutgersAl you are Crazy, at least the name fits. Tell me is it TRUE Vandy needed three fourth down conversions to keep drives alive against Mighty Elon ??? Vandy converted only 4 of 13 third down conversions. And was forced to punt 5 times against Mighty Elon !! :rolleyes:

I am assuming y'all were better last year because you lost your coach and Todman and the biggest indicator, the Vegas betting line. If y'all were supposed to be more talented and better prepared, I would assume Vegas would have y'all as a pretty heavy favorite. That said, we won't know anything until after we play tomorrow. Both teams faced terrible FCS opponents (although I will say Elon is the best FCS team I've ever seen us play) so it's hard to really tell where either team stands.

As for your "mighty elon" quips, I'm guessing you went to the box score, so you probably would know better than I would. We certainly didn't play well and frankly, Elon's receiver was absolutely amazing (6'4 kid who didn't play high school football, but will most certainly play in the NFL) and fun to watch. Frankly, we only have 5-6 winnable games on our schedule so if we lose this one, it will be pretty clear that we once again suck at football. If we somehow, pull out the win, who knows?

Should be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman