Vandy Part II - Official UCONN / Vandy Prediction Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vandy Part II - Official UCONN / Vandy Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Obviously, people can pick a football game any way they want to. But rowdy fans? At Vanderbilt? Seriously?

By all reports, there is no one in the south with less of a home field advantage than Vanderbilt. They don't have many fans, and the fans they have are tempered in enthusiasm having been conditioned to losing.

Reaction Score
Huskies - 24
Dores - 13

Late defensive touchdown (Blidi? Jones?) masks how close the game is for the most part.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Husky_HPA158190901-large.jpeg
Commodore_64_Box.jpg

I feel kind of cheesy about this because I picked us to lose one OOC game (this one) in my preseason prediction.

Reaction Score
UConn - 17
Vandy - 16

In a game that reminds us of that dreaded 2007 game, but plays in our favor this time.

Reaction Score
I dare someone on this thread to predict UConn to lose...

is ESPN's Andrea Adelson on this board? She picked us to lose.

Uconn 27
Vandy 17

Reaction Score
I think we'll struggle offensively through the air and it'll take until the second half to really get the ground game going, with both Shoemate and McCombs putting in good games. It'll be a tough test, but I think our defense is just a little too good to lose this one.

UConn 23, Vanderbilt 13

U

UConn9604

By all reports, there is no one in the south with less of a home field advantage than Vanderbilt. They don't have many fans, and the fans they have are tempered in enthusiasm having been conditioned to losing.

I'd have to disagree -- I went down to the Duke game in 2007 and their "scene" was downright pathetic. We showed up about 4-5 hours early and sat around for 30 minutes waiting for the parking staff to show up to even open the gates. It was as if we had to remind them that there was a football game that day. Then, once we entered the lot, we were the only tailgaters there for at least an hour, and even then, the first few people to join us were Donald Brown's and Alex LaMagdelaine's parents. It was that bad.

But, yes, I'd say that Vanderbilt's fans can't be much better. At least Vanderbilt plays in the SEC and occasionally produces NFL talent.

Connecticut 31, Vanderbilt 13. Teggart is perfect and the defense is almost perfect; Shoemate and McCombs combine for 150 yards rushing, and one of the three QBs steps up and takes the starting role against Iowa State with a solid performance.

Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree -- I went down to the Duke game in 2007 and their "scene" was downright pathetic. We showed up about 4-5 hours early and sat around for 30 minutes waiting for the parking staff to show up to even open the gates. It was as if we had to remind them that there was a football game that day. Then, once we entered the lot, we were the only tailgaters there for at least an hour, and even then, the first few people to join us were Donald Brown's and Alex LaMagdelaine's parents. It was that bad.

But, yes, I'd say that Vanderbilt's fans can't be much better. At least Vanderbilt plays in the SEC and occasionally produces NFL talent.

Connecticut 31, Vanderbilt 13. Teggart is perfect and the defense is almost perfect; Shoemate and McCombs combine for 150 yards rushing, and one of the three QBs steps up and takes the starting role against Iowa State with a solid performance.

For the record, our fans roll up and smoke both Duke and Wake Forests' fans. That said, we are small and we are quiet, but we tailgate and our uniforms look good.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Above is a link to vegasinsider which has Vandy anywhere from a -1.5-2.5 favorite in this game. What does that mean, absolutely nothing, but I was surprised to see 100% of UConn fans predicting a victory this Saturday.

Y'all 24
You Guys 27

Reaction Score
For the record, our fans roll up and smoke both Duke and Wake Forests' fans. That said, we are small and we are quiet, but we tailgate and our uniforms look good.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

Above is a link to vegasinsider which has Vandy anywhere from a -1.5-2.5 favorite in this game. What does that mean, absolutely nothing, but I was surprised to see 100% of UConn fans predicting a victory this Saturday.

Y'all 24
You Guys 27

The game is pretty much a toss up. I would expect 95% from both fanbases to pick their team to win tomorrow night.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The funniest part of that Duke game was while leaving (the tailgating was going full force by then) many Duke fans made comments to the effect of "if we really had a good football team we would have beaten them by a lot more".

Reaction Score
Someone much smarter than I will have to explain why this is viewed as a toss up game.

1. We beat them fairly easily last year, at a time when we were playing really, really, really bad football.

2. While I understand the many questions we have, they have them to. What they don't have is the quality of players up and down the roster on both sides of the line of scrimmage that we do. Or the habit of winning games, as opposed to losing them.

3. We almost beat them in Nashville with a much, much less talented roster Orlovsky's sophomore year. Yes, we had Dan Orlovsky, but they had Jay Cutler. May of these players have beaten a much better SEC team in Birmingham. Yes, you never take a road game against a BCS opponent for granted, but our road win at Baylor was against a much better team than this. And it's not like we haven't won at Wake, Duke and Indiana as well.

If I were a betting man, I would have a lot of money on this game. A lot. I don't know whether we win by a lot or a little. Depends on whether our offense can get anything going. Whether our team is good or not is still a very open question. But we are a materially better team than Vanderbilt. We shut their offense down and win the special teams battle. That's 2 out of 3 even if our offense isn't good.

Same outcome as the civil war. Don't care about the score.

Reaction Score
Someone much smarter than I will have to explain why this is viewed as a toss up game.

1. We beat them fairly easily last year, at a time when we were playing really, really, really bad football.

2. While I understand the many questions we have, they have them to. What they don't have is the quality of players up and down the roster on both sides of the line of scrimmage that we do. Or the habit of winning games, as opposed to losing them.

3. We almost beat them in Nashville with a much, much less talented roster Orlovsky's sophomore year. Yes, we had Dan Orlovsky, but they had Jay Cutler. May of these players have beaten a much better SEC team in Birmingham. Yes, you never take a road game against a BCS opponent for granted, but our road win at Baylor was against a much better team than this. And it's not like we haven't won at Wake, Duke and Indiana as well.

If I were a betting man, I would have a lot of money on this game. A lot. I don't know whether we win by a lot or a little. Depends on whether our offense can get anything going. Whether our team is good or not is still a very open question. But we are a materially better team than Vanderbilt. We shut their offense down and win the special teams battle. That's 2 out of 3 even if our offense isn't good.

Same outcome as the civil war. Don't care about the score.

Wow, so we've found the ignorant ass.

Do a little research on any of the recruiting sites and get back to me on the talent appraisal.

Reaction Score
Ha. Tell that to my family at dinner. And then duck. (Directed at Jimmy -- not Crazy Vandy fan).

Here is how you evaluate talent. You watch players make plays or fail to make plays while they are in college. And then, for good measure, you see if they get drafted. Here is how you don't evaluate talent -- log on to Rivals and look for a number.

Reaction Score

Do a little research on any of the recruiting sites and get back to me on the talent appraisal.

Recruiting sites now trump on the field direct competition. Good one.

Reaction Score
Recruiting sites now trump on the field direct competition. Good one.

I hear ya, but to claim UConn has much more talent is just an ignorant opinion. You've had better coaching by far and may have better talent, but to suggest there is some large gap shows a complete lack of knowledge of your opponent.

Reaction Score
I hear ya, but to claim UConn has much more talent is just an ignorant opinion. You've had better coaching by far and may have better talent, but to suggest there is some large gap shows a complete lack of knowledge of your opponent.

Nope. What it shows is I've watched both teams play. We have had better coaching than you (please don't tell that to the people here) but the difference between our programs recent track records goes far beyond that. Good players win games. Not as good players lose them. The only thing that makes you a good player is helping your team win. What Rivals thought of you as a 16 year old does not. Not one block will be missed Saturday night, or one long return broken, because of how you played in a high school game four years ago.

Reaction Score

Check out UConn's recruiting rankings going back to 2003 on any of the sites. We're basically never higher than 5th or 6th, and usually around 7th or 8th in the Big East. Since 2004 we've won 2 conference championships and been to 5 bowl games.

The recruiting rankings will tell you that UConn shouldn't be able to compete for championships in the Big East. The results on the field show that if you believe the recruiting rankings are accurate, then you are the ignorant ass.

Reaction Score
Nope. What it shows is I've watched both teams play. We have had better coaching than you (please don't tell that to the people here) but the difference between our programs recent track records goes far beyond that. Good players win games. Not as good players lose them. The only thing that makes you a good player is helping your team win. What Rivals thought of you as a 16 year old does not. Not one block will be missed Saturday night, or one long return broken, because of how you played in a high school game four years ago.

I'm not a recruiting nut, but your claim makes you look either ignorant or like typical fan guy (over appraials of one's own talent and discount of opposition's). What you're saying is that last year's team won more that Vandy's team, but don't confuse that for the actual talent on the field. Those are two different things. The kid we faced that plays wide receiver for Elon last week hasn't won very much, but he'll be on an NFL roster (and likely a high rd pick). Aarom Mellette is his name and he's talented as hell (11 catches for 180 against us). We have 4-5 kids that will be drafted (maybe more) this April and yes, they are talented, but we have had terrible coaching, a brutal schedule and a ton of injuries so we haven't won very much. There is plenty of talent on VU's roster but to you, unless you've won, you have no talent, right?

Reaction Score
The talent gap between your OL and our DL seems to be huge, and that is why we win this game, IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm not a recruiting nut, but your claim makes you look either ignorant or like typical fan guy (over appraials of one's own talent and discount of opposition's). What you're saying is that last year's team won more that Vandy's team, but don't confuse that for the actual talent on the field. Those are two different things. The kid we faced that plays wide receiver for Elon last week hasn't won very much, but he'll be on an NFL roster (and likely a high rd pick). Aarom Mellette is his name and he's talented as hell (11 catches for 180 against us). We have 4-5 kids that will be drafted (maybe more) this April and yes, they are talented, but we have had terrible coaching, a brutal schedule and a ton of injuries so we haven't won very much. There is plenty of talent on VU's roster but to you, unless you've won, you have no talent, right?

I'm trying to be polite (or was) but can you read? I did not say you had no talent on your roster. I said you don't have as much as we do. Your belief that one can't tell overall talent by how well a team does on the field is, frankly, dumb.

have a nice day. I have a lot of respect for Vanderbilt as an institution, and for the players who struggle through the disadvantages they face in the SEC while trying to actually learn things. But now I'm much less sympathetic to its fanbase so let me be clear -- you guys suck. You are a bad football team. Are almost all the time and will continue to be almost all the time. I don't know that we are a good football team, but I do know we're better than you.

Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro