Vandy makes the WNIT | The Boneyard

Vandy makes the WNIT

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I guess the WNIT is continuing last year's waiver of the .500 record requirement. Both Vandy and Minnesota got at-large bids with sub-.500 records.

Very happy for Shea and Vanderbilt. This is very good for them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder if Alexander plays in the WNIT after announcing she's in the portal

I cant imagine that happening. You mentally and emotionally break from a team, that is that.

Reaction Score
Does anybody know why Duke is not in either NCAA or WNIT tourney?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Does anybody know why Duke is not in either NCAA or WNIT tourney?
Didn't get an NCAA bid. Evidently declined their WNIT bid.

Reaction Score
This shows how great a coach Shea is. Vandy was a hot mess for years, she really didn't get to recruit, and she still got them to a post season in her first year. With what else? Defense. So UConn...

During the Baylor game, they showed first year coaches getting a 1 seed. They neglected to say each one of them were riding coat tails of the previous coach...

Shea is doing it the hard way.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I wonder if Alexander plays in the WNIT after announcing she's in the portal
I would think so. They’ve known most of the season that she wanted to do grad school elsewhere, and it hasn’t seemed to impact her on-court chemistry with her teammates.

Reaction Score
Shea is going to get closer to .500 than anyone thought

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Shea did a wonderful job given the roster she took over. At a P5 especially, changes occur usually when a program is abysmal. Rarely is the retirement or movement out of a team that is good. Duke, Baylor, ND were all situations where those remnants were still pretty good. Virginia, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State are a few that have big hills to climb and along that front, Shea was AWESOME.

As a side note, Duke declining the WNIT bid is another example of questionable leadership from Kara. I get she is trying to build an NCAAT program but there are still building blocks you can and should utilize. A good run in the WNIT would benefit the program instead of making you look arrogant by turning it down.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Shea did a wonderful job given the roster she took over. At a P5 especially, changes occur usually when a program is abysmal. Rarely is the retirement or movement out of a team that is good. Duke, Baylor, ND were all situations where those remnants were still pretty good. Virginia, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State are a few that have big hills to climb and along that front, Shea was AWESOME.

As a side note, Duke declining the WNIT bid is another example of questionable leadership from Kara. I get she is trying to build an NCAAT program but there are still building blocks you can and should utilize. A good run in the WNIT would benefit the program instead of making you look arrogant by turning it down.
Duke did the "Right" thing by not going to the WNIT. They didnt belong there and were not playing well for a while.

Duke was 4-9 over the last 13 games and the wins were over Pittsburgh 11-19, (won twice). Clemson 10-21 and Wake Forest 15-16. Plus they barely beat those teams, wins by 3 points twice and 5 points in one of the other games.
Better chance they lose early and it hurts them for the future, then go on a winning streak.

No looks of arrogance by turning WNIT down, looks of smartness to me.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt is one of two teams (Minnesota) below .500 in the NIT. Their defense gives them a chance to win any game they play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is why I don't understand schools turning down an invite. Use it as part of your foundation for future play in the NCAA tournament. You have to learn how to walk before you can run.
Yup. And playing in a pressurized tournament game prepares you for the next time around. ;) A number of her key players (Day-Wilson, Taylor) are coming back so that would beneficial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom