Vandy (coached by UConn Alum Shea Ralph) up over Florida at the half | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vandy (coached by UConn Alum Shea Ralph) up over Florida at the half

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Shea did OK in her 1st year as HC. With Vandy done with basketball for this season, Shea now needs to use the extra time she has to get out in the recruiting trail and get to work. If Vandy is really going to compete in the SEC, the Commodores need to secure better athletes than they currently have on the roster.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Shea’s women fall one point short.
THIS TIME.
Dollars to donuts-not next time.
You watch....
No bet. Shea learned at the feet of the master. She knows exactly what to do on the recruiting trail. She'll return next season with players that want to play for her and that fit HER preferred style of play.

Reaction Score
I think she’s going to be a really, really good coach.
She’s a hard worker with a winning personality and she
sure as hell knows her basketball.
Her presence will attract a stronger group of recruits
and it will turn the program into a successful one.
My money’s on her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Shea did OK in her 1st year as HC. With Vandy done with basketball for this season, Shea now needs to use the extra time she has to get out in the recruiting trail and get to work. If Vandy is really going to compete in the SEC, the Commodores need to secure better athletes than they currently have on the roster.
I thought she did a great job considering the circumstances. She got players to really buy into her philosophy and they were a strong defensive team. Showed much more grit and potential than they ever did under White. Agree she needs to land a few marquee kids if she wants to climb the SEC ranks. There are a lot of really promising coaches in the conference so being able to land quality kids will be of the utmost importance.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Horrible 4th Q--no offense or ball movement, Vandy seemed to go into a freeze with a whole quarter remaining--Wow, that was awful strategy...
I don't think that was strategy, they are just not talented enough or have enough experience in big games, save about three players. 3 Top 25 players in next year, as well as their top 2 freshmen will make them more competitive with the middle of the pack in the SEC. Great article about Sheas season and the direction of Vanderbilt in the "Athletic" this morning. Very complimentary of Shea and the coaching staff.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
From the Athletic article:

"The last glimpse of Ralph in her debut season was that of a coach at the podium trying to process how her team squandered a 14-point late to lose a game it mostly controlled. She blamed herself for late out-of-bounds plays that didn’t work. She said she was proud of her players and also hoped this would be a lesson on the intensity required to finish such games.
She responded to a question on the late officiating — a key charging call on Cambridge was hard to understand — as such: “I have been instructed several times not to talk about the officiating on my walk here, so I won’t say anything about it. But I can tell you if you want to look back at my reaction, you’ll get exactly what I think about it.”
Those reactions, and the ongoing smolder after a cooldown period, looked like someone very unhappy with the officiating. Also, someone with the fire this program has needed."

Shea is exactly where she wants and needs to be.

Reaction Score
The Vandy guard was fouled by two people on the last play of the game. Refs swallowing whistles at the end really ruins so many end plays. A tradition that needs to go.
Given that on the other end, the play before (I think), they called a foul that looked like the player got the ball. That was a tough ending.

Reaction Score
I don't think that was strategy, they are just not talented enough or have enough experience in big games, save about three players. 3 Top 25 players in next year, as well as their top 2 freshmen will make them more competitive with the middle of the pack in the SEC. Great article about Sheas season and the direction of Vanderbilt in the "Athletic" this morning. Very complimentary of Shea and the coaching staff.
Perhaps you're right but their offense delineated from what they were doing previously... And maybe talent was an issue, but D-1 players should be able to run a simple weave, a pick and roll or an iso...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Another article

An Ending to the Beginning

“I believe that the goal for this program is to be winning big games in March, and this is where I’m comfortable, right?” Ralph said, alluding to her pedigree as a student-athlete and assistant coach at Connecticut. “I’m used to playing in March and April and I want my players to have that expectation. I want our program to have that expectation. But the way that you do that is that you train for those moments. You don’t just come to March and say, ‘Alright, this is the time we turn it on.’ No, you’ve got to turn it on in September and October."

Reaction Score
Y'all jinxed her:(:rolleyes:
Y'all ? Sounds like one of those yankees that came down to God's Country. Those fellers come down here to stay and ya all know what we calls them. 6 months and they's mis-spelling and ya all ing all over the place.
(at least that's what they said to me)

Reaction Score
Maybe raggedy offense in the fourth quarter by a tired underdog Vandy who played tough defense all game but I’ll take that against a higher ranked team who don’t play tough defense until the fourth quarter
Tired? Shea Ralph injured, tired, behind by 20 would play harder. Especially with a chance to win. She just didn't inject Vandy with Shea Ralph virus. If she doesn't do that next season Uconn won't be in her future. Yes, first season remember there are no throw away seasons in basketball records..

Reaction Score
Tired? Shea Ralph injured, tired, behind by 20 would play harder. Especially with a chance to win. She just didn't inject Vandy with Shea Ralph virus. If she doesn't do that next season Uconn won't be in her future. Yes, first season remember there are no throw away seasons in basketball records..
And we all remember how Geno came in and immediately turned UConn around, right?
Give me a break.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And we all remember how Geno came in and immediately turned UConn around, right?
Give me a break.
Actually he did. The school experienced 11 straight losing seasons from the inception of WBB at UConn. In Geno’s first season as HC, 37 years ago, UConn went 12-15, his one and only losing season. The next year UConn went 14-13 (9-7 in conference) and the rest is history.

Reaction Score
From the Athletic article:

"The last glimpse of Ralph in her debut season was that of a coach at the podium trying to process how her team squandered a 14-point late to lose a game it mostly controlled. She blamed herself for late out-of-bounds plays that didn’t work. She said she was proud of her players and also hoped this would be a lesson on the intensity required to finish such games.
She responded to a question on the late officiating — a key charging call on Cambridge was hard to understand — as such: “I have been instructed several times not to talk about the officiating on my walk here, so I won’t say anything about it. But I can tell you if you want to look back at my reaction, you’ll get exactly what I think about it.”
Those reactions, and the ongoing smolder after a cooldown period, looked like someone very unhappy with the officiating. Also, someone with the fire this program has needed."

Shea is exactly where she wants and needs to be.
Ralph had a great first year by any standard. As for the loss, very impressive to be in the position they were in after upsetting Florida a week earlier, shows real growth. Having said that her team stopped playing north and south offense, played east and west and the clock way too early; their inexperience showed and the only way to get experience is to gain experience by going through it. Champions don’t hope to win, they go out and take it; her team and program will learn a lot from that loss IMO.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ralph had a great first year by any standard. As for the loss, very impressive to be in the position they were in after upsetting Florida a week earlier, shows real growth. Having said that her team stopped playing north and south offense, played east and west and the clock way too early; their inexperience showed and the only way to get experience is to gain experience by going through it. Champions don’t hope to win, they go out and take it; her team and program will learn a lot from that loss IMO.
Shea admitted she made some mistakes too. They’re all learning. One thing they have learned as a group is to put themselves in a position where a win is possible, currently through their defense. The next step is learning how to close out the games and finish strong. This was a good lesson.

Reaction Score
Actually he did. The school experienced 11 straight losing seasons from the inception of WBB at UConn. In Geno’s first season as HC, 37 years ago, UConn went 12-15, his one and only losing season. The next year UConn went 14-13 (9-7 in conference) and the rest is history.
Oldude, you’re confirming what I posted and I think you’re missing the point.
Like Shea’s, Geno’s first season was a losing one:
Vanderbilt 14-18
Uconn 12-15
Those are not immediate turn arounds.
The point of my post was to get on TCC KID for being harsh on Shea and saying there are no throw away seasons
and implying that she has to do better or…..
Anyway this is minutia. I believe better times are up ahead for Vanderbilt with her in charge.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude, you’re confirming what I posted and I think you’re missing the point.
Like Shea’s, Geno’s first season was a losing one:
Vanderbilt 14-18
Uconn 12-15
Those are not immediate turn arounds.
The point of my post was to get on TCC KID for being harsh on Shea and saying there are no throw away seasons
and implying that she has to do better or…..
Anyway this is minutia. I believe better times are up ahead for Vanderbilt with her in charge.
I have no issue with you defending Shea. She did fine in her first year. For me, taking a losing program to a winning one in 2 seasons is a pretty quick turnaround, which is what Geno did back in 1985-86-87.

Reaction Score
Obviously every situation is different but in their first 3 years,
Coach K went 38-47 at Duke, 13-29 in the ACC,
Jim Calhoun went 47-46 his first 3 years at Uconn, 13-35 in the BE,
Auriemma was 47-46 overall and 22-26 in the BE conference.
It takes time……..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom