Vandy a Good Test | The Boneyard

Vandy a Good Test

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I was looking forward to going to the game however my wife set up a dinner engagement with some friends so I will not be attending. If someone could pick me up some pocket schedules and posters if they are available it would be much appreciated and Im planning on attending the Depaul game.

I think this will be a good test for our young Huskies as Vandy has some height and they are in a tuff conference. We will see how our non starters development continues. I was very pleased to see the improvement in our last game especially ONO Molly and Coombs. They played with confidence. Now Vandy is a step up from a very good D2 school in SCSU.

As good as UConn is this year they are very dependent on their Big 3. These next few games will show us where we are and expose some of our weaknesses and what we need to work on improving. All this getting ready for a very good Depaul team and a terrific ND team.

We cannot afford injuries and foul trouble to are starters as our bench is young and inexperienced. The inexperience should change over the next 5 games as I expect our non starters to see more playtime and it will be exciting to watch their development.

Reaction Score
Well I was looking forward to going to the game however my wife set up a dinner engagement with some friends so I will not be attending. If someone could pick me up some pocket schedules and posters if they are available it would be much appreciated and Im planning on attending the Depaul game.

I think this will be a good test for our young Huskies as Vandy has some height and they are in a tuff conference. We will see how our non starters development continues. I was very pleased to see the improvement in our last game especially ONO Molly and Coombs. They played with confidence. Now Vandy is a step up from a very good D2 school in SCSU.

As good as UConn is this year they are very dependent on their Big 3. These next few games will show us where we are and expose some of our weaknesses and what we need to work on improving. All this getting ready for a very good Depaul team and a terrific ND team.

We cannot afford injuries and foul trouble to are starters as our bench is young and inexperienced. The inexperience should change over the next 5 games as I expect our non starters to see more playtime and it will be exciting to watch their development.

Most of the bench has had YEARS to develop, how are the next 5 games going to be any different?

Reaction Score
Should be a close game. Should be a good experience & test for the players to see how they perform under pressure with the game on the line in the final few minutes. As we know from the last 2 years, the players learn nothing about themselves in 2nd-half blowouts.

Reaction Score
I think this will be a good test for our young Huskies as Vandy has some height and they are in a tuff conference.

Vandy has not shown anything. Last year they were rated on par with Wichita St.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

I know this is not an exact situation that you mentioned but I noticed that when Lou and Pheesa left the SCSU game for good, the score was 76-26. The final score was 99-45, with UConn missing a few chippies in the last couple of minutes. So it looked to me that the bench finally held their own against a team that didn't have much of a bench themselves, so they were playing against some of their starters. And our bench did it without a ton of fouls. Now, my observation may be skewed because Crystal was on the court for some of this time, so...

Reaction Score

I agree the experience level should change over the next 29 games or so; If they don't that would be a disaster. As far as the BIG 3 goes, CW is one tough minded kid, Frosh for sure, I expect HER development to be substantial in the next few games. Also I expect Megan Walker ( the No 1 recruit last year) to continue to attack, assist, rebound--why? Because she just ain't your normal bench sitter! So, I suggest for ToDAY we have the Big 4.5 not just 3. For the big games ooC These five (unless CW flops, which I doubt) will be the UConn WBB team. Hopefully Irwin, Molly, Coombs, ONO become what we expected the day they joined the UConn team. Touly if healthier could be an X factor, could be.
Out side of the current starting five the question marks ?? about those coming off the bench is substantial.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Geno has clearly expressed his view on how he would like to best use the bench. Try to get some of the first bench players (probably based on practice / matchups) in relatively early with most of the starters to spell some of the starters quick minutes but still keeping enough of the starters to keep the flow. Only in the most extreme garbage time will we see less than 2 starters on the floor I think.

Reaction Score
Most of the bench has had YEARS to develop, how are the next 5 games going to be any different?
You are preaching to the choir. However, Coombs, Gordon came in last year with pretty fair back grounds in BB. Coombs was working physical issues which delayed her getting much PT. Irwin showed promise last year and shows promise this year--she must now make that promise good. Molly had one good game, maybe good is a stretch but she too 5 shots; she has always deferred to others to do the shooting, that's a step forward but how far forward. She is NOT now ready to sub Danger in the ND game, if not now WHEN? CW a Frosh, outstanding certainly, is filling a Junior slot!!

Reaction Score
I know this is not an exact situation that you mentioned but I noticed that when Lou and Pheesa left the SCSU game for good, the score was 76-26. The final score was 99-45, with UConn missing a few chippies in the last couple of minutes. So it looked to me that the bench finally held their own against a team that didn't have much of a bench themselves, so they were playing against some of their starters. And our bench did it without a ton of fouls. Now, my observation may be skewed because Crystal was on the court for some of this time, so...
Not sure the score of a blow out is indicative of anything. If you watched the replay, Geno slowed down the action the second half, didn't press, etc. SCSU was launching from all parts of court, making shots they would never take if it mattered.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Should be a close game. Should be a good experience & test for the players to see how they perform under pressure with the game on the line in the final few minutes. As we know from the last 2 years, the players learn nothing about themselves in 2nd-half blowouts.
Vandy probably will be no more of a test than was tOSU.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
I’m a Vandy grad and hate to say but this will in no way be a “good” test. Probably one of the worst Vandy teams in recent years. No way y’all will have any problems disposing of them by the end of the 1st quarter.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not sure the score of a blow out is indicative of anything. If you watched the replay, Geno slowed down the action the second half, didn't press, etc. SCSU was launching from all parts of court, making shots they would never take if it mattered.
My main point, which I guess I missed, was that last year we complained that the "bench" could not hold a lead nor could they score. I was trying to point out that this year's bench seemed to score a bit better and play defense a bit better too. At least in this game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt lost to Northern Arizona 74-71.

I watched Northern Arizona last weekend. They hung tough for a while, but have no size and eventually lost by 20+ to a Washington team that went 1-17 in conference last year. Just sayin'.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I watched Northern Arizona last weekend. They hung tough for a while, but have no size and eventually lost by 20+ to a Washington team that went 1-17 in conference last year. Just sayin'.
I'm pretty sure that Vanderbilt lost to North Alabama, not Northern Arizona. Not that that's any better of a loss, but hey, I'm a stickler.

I can't help but wonder if Steph White is on the hot seat at this point. Her first year they were bad, last year they were dismal, and this year they don't look much better.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that Vanderbilt lost to North Alabama, not Northern Arizona. Not that that's any better of a loss, but hey, I'm a stickler.

I can't help but wonder if Steph White is on the hot seat at this point. Her first year they were bad, last year they were dismal, and this year they don't look much better.

Thanks forgot that they were D1 now - transitioning from D2.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks forgot that they were D1 now - transitioning from D2.
Yes, their first year in D1 in fact, the newest member of the A-Sun. So probably even worse than losing to N. Arizona.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Test with the best.......see what happens at Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
I have a poster you can have and if I see any pocket schedules I'll get some.

Plebe

Reaction Score
In taking a hard look at this year's schedule, I'm guessing Geno is intentionally taking a couple steps back on the tough scheduling. Yes, UConn has three extremely tough road games against ND, Baylor and Louisville. But aside from those, what is there? A home game against DePaul? A home and away against a now-diminished USF? The likes of Oklahoma, Purdue, and Ole Miss?

UConn may barely finish with a SOS in the top 50 this year. But I can only imagine this was a conscious choice by Geno.

Reaction Score
In taking a hard look at this year's schedule, I'm guessing Geno is intentionally taking a couple steps back on the tough scheduling. Yes, UConn has three extremely tough road games against ND, Baylor and Louisville. But aside from those, what is there? A home game against DePaul? A home and away against a now-diminished USF? The likes of Oklahoma, Purdue, and Ole Miss?

UConn may barely finish with a SOS in the top 50 this year. But I can only imagine this was a conscious choice by Geno.

UConn plays Notre Dame, South Carolina, Louisville and Baylor, three of them on the road. USF is a conference game (and who knew they would be diminished). Oklahoma is a long standing series, St. Louis is to give Pheesa a homecoming game, California is a homecoming game for Lou, and Vanderbilt is to ensure a homecoming game for Crystal next year.

Top 50. You are seriously overestimating the strength of schedules for the rest of WCBB. And who else should Geno be scheduling? Duke and Maryland have backed out. He added Tennessee for next year. Stanford has been discontinued for the time being. It would be nice to get one or both of the Oregon schools, but the fact is that a lot of schools find reasons not to play UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom