Vanderbilt Post-Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt Post-Game

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Skyrocket? Remember Danger winning the Baylor game as a Frosh. I just watched that again. She was a whiz, close to Moriah (as a Frosh). When a score was needed Danger did it. Until health slowed her.
I believe Geno said something like "Crystal, go out and win this game for us." And she did.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd like to think that Geno got some feedback from people he respects about being overly tough on the team last year but more likely he knows that without major contributions from MW and CW, UConn has little chance to win it all....MW has already shown she got the message after last season and Christyn just gets it for the most part.....let's see if Geno reverts to form when the going gets rough...
I wouldn’t be surprised if Chris Dailey may have had something to do with the change in Geno’s demeanor.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t be surprised if Chris Dailey may have had something to do with the change in Geno’s demeanor.

oh I'm sure they've had many conversations on how best to handle the players..........I was thinking of someone outside of the current coaching staff................

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
If ONO and Coombs are six and seven, would love to see plenty of time for both of them the next three games. Let them work through some of whatever concerns Geno has with them. One or several of the starters are going to get hurt. It happens every year with every team. The thing is, those two are gifted athletically. It will be really fun watching them grow.

Plus, Camara remains a mystery to me. I realize she isn't healthy but she is a bruiser who seems willing to rebound. I am amazed that she can't provide more minutes than she does.

Reaction Score
One positive comment does not make Geno less rigid.
You may be correct! Rigid I used meaning never changes because many thought Geno has basic philosophies that never change one iota. Never takes transfer--Hunter, Azura, Touly to name a few. Never will ever play UTenn again--until 2020. Must practice or you won't play--Charde when she was his only scorer. I think in that regard you are right he is always a bit rigid with less rigid tendencies. Certainly he is doing more "in game" teaching or at least more visible doing it. Kids are evolving in ways old time coaches didn't see so they need a bit more pats on the back rather than lower down. Gordon probably dispells my theories.

Reaction Score
If ONO and Coombs are six and seven, would love to see plenty of time for both of them the next three games. Let them work through some of whatever concerns Geno has with them. One or several of the starters are going to get hurt. It happens every year with every team. The thing is, those two are gifted athletically. It will be really fun watching them grow.

Plus, Camara remains a mystery to me. I realize she isn't healthy but she is a bruiser who seems willing to rebound. I am amazed that she can't provide more minutes than she does.
Based on very few facts, predict Camera will become the 2nd "Big" off the bench shortly. She appears more flexible and this year is running off her toes, versus dragging her bad leg. Irwin just does not have the athletic skills to match up against top talent. Camera looks like she can give 10+ minutes a game, which would be about what Geno gives this spot.

Reaction Score

If the 6th and 7th are in Genos plans he must show them more real time PT. Camara, in the Vandy game (last evening), played pretty good. She did intimidate the other team. They were driving for layup s on ONO they attempted it a once--saw Camara and backed off. She could play fullback on the UConn mens team. I wouldn't drive on her.I don't know what her current downside is but her upside is size and experience in Div 1.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that it started with the way Geno handled the off season. He and the coaches stepped away from the team and let Lou, Pheesa, and Crystal Dangerfield lead the the team practices and training. Instead of him and the coaches putting the pressure on the players it was the team leaders doing it. I also believe this is the closest knit team since the last big 3, Stewie, Mo, and Morgan in their senior year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt Head Coach Stephanie White
Opening Statement:

On her impression of this UConn team:
It's not the depth you're used to seeing, it's a big three and everyone else is learning what their roles are. I think the thing that will always separate them is the swag they step on the court with and just the expectation to win. And two, understanding their role in the system. I think Crystal Dangerfield is one of the most improved players from freshman year to now in the country. I think they've done a great job developing her game. You can see it in her confidence level in the way she's playing and the way she's distributing. Obviously Katie Lou [Samuelson] is one of the best shooters in the country and we tried to force her out of her comfort zone and she still found ways to beat us. They have players that don't have the experience, but they're gaining that every day in practice. I think they're going to be fine, they've got the pieces, now they just have to get their feet wet.

Ahem: I guess Pheesa traumatized Coach White so much. she has blocked it out of her mind. ;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I agree. But does anyone know why? It can't be because he felt Gabby and Kia were creating problems. Can it? Is it simply that this year's two freshman work hard, and have far better attitudes than last year's freshmen? Or is it that so much was expected of Megan and she simply did not " get with the program?"
I also think it is always a "blow" when a recruited player leaves. Thoughts?
I think you are citing some good possibilities. Maybe it's all of the above.

Geno appeared to struggle all last year with the freshmen. I don’t think it had as much to do with their inconsistent performance as it did with their inconsistent effort. As you point out, Christyn & Liv appear to work hard and have good attitudes. That has to make Geno’s job a lot easier.
I can't help myself--I have to add this to the list of possibilities. I will always wonder about the Z factor. Some of that is based on one or two comments Pheesa made, which seemed slightly out of character for her. In a nutshell: Chemistry. A coach can do only so much with that.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that the tape on Lou's shoulder is interfering with her long-range shooting? Does she have a shoulder injury?

I thought I saw Lou fall awkwardly early in the game at one end of the court. She looked as though she twisted an ankle. She seems to have a black support on one foot/ankle. Has anyone heard anything about her current injury status?

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that the tape on Lou's shoulder is interfering with her long-range shooting? Does she have a shoulder injury?

I thought I saw Lou fall awkwardly early in the game at one end of the court. She looked as though she twisted an ankle. She seems to have a black support on one foot/ankle. Has anyone heard anything about her current injury status?

I assume that her shoulder bothering her must hamper her shot to some degree...............she's always been one to get smacked around and now that she crashing the boards more she's subject to the bumping and bruising that goes along with that..........she is simply irreplaceable and her health must be protected if UConn plans to make a deep run this season.........

Reaction Score
Concerning Geno's apparent softening tone,wouldn't we all be less irascible if we were signing number's one and three within a week and a half?:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom