Vanderbilt Post-Game | The Boneyard

Vanderbilt Post-Game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is so complimentary of his players. Getting more father-like as each day passes.
It seems like that is almost a conscious change this year, at least in public. Geno has always been willing to make changes for the benefit of the program. Hopefully this latest change will see positive results in terms of player confidence and development.

Reaction Score
It seems like that is almost a conscious change this year, at least in public. Geno has always been willing to make changes for the benefit of the program. Hopefully this latest change will see positive results in terms of player confidence and development.
This is how Coach Rueck is with his players. His players truly love him, and, seem to grow even more confident with every positive word that falls off his tongue. I think it is the right way for Geno given the number of young players that UCONN is going to play this year. GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Geno is so complimentary of his players. Getting more father-like as each day passes.
What’s so very impressive about Crystal is not only her skills on the court which have done nothing but skyrocketed, but also the way she handles herself —especially with the press. In the past, she was more prone to appearing uncomfortable with one or two word responses. Now she shows so much more of her articulate side—something that UConn Women during their careers seem to get so very much better at. They handle themselves so very well—something that the coaches pride themselves on helping to make happen!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is how Coach Rueck is with his players. His players truly love him, and, seem to grow even more confident with every positive word that falls off his tongue. I think it is the right way for Geno given the number of young players that UCONN is going to play this year. GO HUSKIES!
After Rueck’s team made a run to the FF a few years back, it was clear that he’s one of the best coaches in WBB. While most pundits have Oregon penciled in as the PAC12 champions this season, it would not surprise me if the team from Corvallis upsets the apple cart.

Reaction Score
Proof that Geno does not have Rigid philosophies. Geno adjust to the players which means maybe the next class he will revert to "tough love" again. For this group a pat on the back works better than one lower down.

Reaction Score
What’s so very impressive about Crystal is not only her skills on the court which have done nothing but skyrocketed, but also the way she handles herself —especially with the press. In the past, she was more prone to appearing uncomfortable with one or two word responses. Now she shows so much more of her articulate side—something that UConn Women during their careers seem to get so very much better at. They handle themselves so very well—something that the coaches pride themselves on helping to make happen!
Skyrocket? Remember Danger winning the Baylor game as a Frosh. I just watched that again. She was a whiz, close to Moriah (as a Frosh). When a score was needed Danger did it. Until health slowed her.

Reaction Score
After Rueck’s team made a run to the FF a few years back, it was clear that he’s one of the best coaches in WBB. While most pundits have Oregon penciled in as the PAC12 champions this season, it would not surprise me if the team from Corvallis upsets the apple cart.
I feel confident that no team is going undefeated in the PAC-12. It will probably go down to the last game of the PAC-12 season.

Reaction Score
Is there video of the Vanderbilt coach post game? I liked her when she was a commentator so I wanted to hear her thoughts.

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly--Geno is not as rigid as many think.

Reaction Score
Proof that Geno does not have Rigid philosophies. Geno adjust to the players which means maybe the next class he will revert to "tough love" again. For this group a pat on the back works better than one lower down.
One positive comment does not make Geno less rigid.

Reaction Score
Geno is enjoying this team much more than last years team. You can tell by his demeanor during and after games.
I agree. But does anyone know why? It can't be because he felt Gabby and Kia were creating problems. Can it? Is it simply that this year's two freshman work hard, and have far better attitudes than last year's freshmen? Or is it that so much was expected of Megan and she simply did not " get with the program?"
I also think it is always a "blow" when a recruited player leaves. Thoughts?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree. But does anyone know why? It can't be because he felt Gabby and Kia were creating problems. Can it? Is it simply that this year's two freshman work hard, and have far better attitudes than last year's freshmen? Or is it that so much was expected of Megan and she simply did not " get with the program?"
Geno appeared to struggle all last year with the freshmen. I don’t think it had as much to do with their inconsistent performance as it did with their inconsistent effort. As you point out, Christyn & Liv appear to work hard and have good attitudes. That has to make Geno’s job a lot easier.

Reaction Score

Maybe he's enjoying the team more, maybe it's strategic.

For whatever reason, last year's team never embraced the attitude of a "vengeance tour" the way that other teams coming off a demoralizing loss (e.g. 2002) have, and the way that fans expected. They ended up playing tight in another Final Four and losing again.

Maybe Geno sees that team as having been too uptight on the court, too scripted, and wants this version to be able to adapt and improvise when things break down, which comes with building up their confidence.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt Head Coach Stephanie White
Opening Statement:
"I'm proud of our kids, this was an opportunity for us to bring in a young team in our building process to experience what it takes to achieve and sustain excellence. There's a commitment to playing together, there's a commitment to the details, there's a commitment to knowing and understanding your role that UConn has been doing for decades. You can watch it from afar but there's nothing like experiencing it on the floor. I'm proud of the way our team battled, we were exposed in a lot of areas that we can go back and work on. But overall I think the experience for our kids was a good one."

On her impression of this UConn team:
It's not the depth you're used to seeing, it's a big three and everyone else is learning what their roles are. I think the thing that will always separate them is the swag they step on the court with and just the expectation to win. And two, understanding their role in the system. I think Crystal Dangerfield is one of the most improved players from freshman year to now in the country. I think they've done a great job developing her game. You can see it in her confidence level in the way she's playing and the way she's distributing. Obviously Katie Lou [Samuelson] is one of the best shooters in the country and we tried to force her out of her comfort zone and she still found ways to beat us. They have players that don't have the experience, but they're gaining that every day in practice. I think they're going to be fine, they've got the pieces, now they just have to get their feet wet.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
C'mon. That's Geno after this game. Tomorrow's a different day, a different speech. Geno however has always said Crystal could and ultimately would be the best guard in the country, and he's always been complimentary of his star seniors. This is just game 2, get back to me when he says stuff like this 2 or 3 games in a a row.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
C'mon. That's Geno after this game. Tomorrow's a different day, a different speech. Geno however has always said Crystal could and ultimately would be the best guard in the country, and he's always been complimentary of his star seniors. This is just game 2, get back to me when he says stuff like this 2 or 3 games in a a row.
You may be correct, but it does appear that Geno has a much different attitude towards his freshmen this year. Last year, almost from the get go, there seemed to be issues with the freshmen class.

Reaction Score

I'd like to think that Geno got some feedback from people he respects about being overly tough on the team last year but more likely he knows that without major contributions from MW and CW, UConn has little chance to win it all...................MW has already shown she got the message after last season and Christyn just gets it for the most part...............let's see if Geno reverts to form when the going gets rough.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom