Vance Jackson looks like a cross between both Hamilton's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vance Jackson looks like a cross between both Hamilton's

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Vance is a mix of Caron and Emeka.
That's pretty good company.
Vital reminds me a "little" of Craig Austrie. I dont know what the consensus is here but I liked Craig Austrie.....a lot. Was he a little too hesitant to shoot the ball sometimes? Yes. But he had a tremendous amount of poise. Yes, Vital attacks the rim way more than Austrie.....but I think Vital brings composure, change of pace, defensive tenacity (he will eventually be called upon to shut down opposing guards). I thought Austrie brought those same attributes. Their styles are different but I think Vital adds cohesiveness much like Austrie.
Love the idea of having an in your face guard defender coming off the bench after you have had to deal with Adams/Gilbert/Rodney. Talk about nightmares. Anything he can bring offensively will be great (and I, too, think he will). Pressure, pressure and more pressure. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with some Austrie in his game. I think Craig's big thing was consistency, he wasn't going to hurt you all that often when he came in and had similar skills on both ends of court. Would never blow you away with anything but bringing him in would not make you squirm for the 3-5 minute spans he was playing. If Vital has some of this as well as the ability to get to the rim he could see the court more than many think.
He was also great at coming in as a third guard and running that nasty press we had in 08-09

CV and AG will be a nasty back court foundation in a couple years

Reaction Score
images

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I thought Vital was impressive at First Night. With pretty much everyone clanking from the outside, Christian hits a deep 3 without any hesitation. He had a bunch of baskets after that. He's not being shy and taking a seat at the end of the bench. Nice start! I thought that Vance looked good as well, as difficult as it was to tell at times on the crappy (but free) HuskyVision video. Vance hit a 3 from deep deep, with no hesitation at all (as well). IIRC, he made a drive to the hoop and finished with his left hand in smooth fashion. There seems to be a lot of real competition for the backup minutes.

Reaction Score
Craig was very limited for this level of competition athletically. He was a solid backup for a few minutes, played below the rim, shot ok, and as stated above, his poise was his best asset.

Vital can do a lot more offensively. I would be disappointed if he wasn't a lot more. Austrie was not really a UConn level player in terms of talent but he did fine due to smarts and need (we weren't deep at guard those years). I have no ill will to Craig - he was more of a lower D-1 talent than UConn level (and I would have died to have his talent as an older guy who still tries to ball). Vital is very athletic and can shoot it. I would be surprised if he didn't start here or at least be a super sub a la Gwynn or Vinnie Johnson back in the day for the Pistons. I think guys with his competitiveness find a way onto the court, I would be surprised if he didn't carve out a role this year even.

Further, Craig was more of a quiet guy. Christian seems to play with a lot of fire and has that "missing ingredient" we lacked on last year's team according to one of the few reputable gurus in Corey Evans. So on many levels I don't see the comparison.

Reaction Score
Boatright and Thabeet?

I mean, what's the most ridiculous "cross between" we can think of?

C

Chief00

First Night from a true basketball perspective is basically a throw away. True, lots of fun afterwards but not a basis for making basketball evaluations.

Reaction Score
No he's a nice mix of a great lengthy shooter like Hamilton 1 yet he has some ball skills like Hamilton 2

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The kid screams Donny Marshall with the attitude. Can't wait to get to see him live or on the TV.

I hope he doesn't have too much of DHam in him.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have the quickest release but it's not slow. However since he's 6-8 not many people will be able to close it out. And he has that little pump fake that looks very effective in creating space for the shot. Most importantly it looks to be a smooth and consistent release. There is a lot to get excited about.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I like that it seems he can shoot which is something that has been missing the past two seasons

I will hold off any comparisons until I see some regular games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog