Vance Jackson ceiling | The Boneyard

Vance Jackson ceiling

Reaction Score
I think he is going to be great for us. In light of the Vital comparisons, I was wondering who yall think Vance is comparable to. He clearly has a lot of potential, but my main critique thus far is that he seems a bit slow on both ends of the court. The IQ is there, but I feel he can shed a few to become quicker player. Also there was a couple times in the game yesterday where he tried to establish post position but didnt get the ball. I think adding a post-up/face-up game on the block can help him because of his size and shooting touch. Thoughts?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Beginning of the year his ceiling looked like the Gampel ceiling. He's coming into his own now. His scoring has dropped off after a few hot games but he has found his niche as a rebounder and playmaker from the elbow vs the zone.

Reaction Score
Rich man's Giffey offensively, poor man's Giffey defensively.

I think the fanbase is underestimating how good a passer he is.

VERY good passer, great court vision. And he sticks his nose in on hits people when rebounding. He can shoot, but he knows how to play too. Hope the "rumors" are only a misunderstanding like the kid another really good 4 year guy like Vital which is so huge for a program.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Really surprised with some of the passes this kid can make, you don't see too many 6'8 freshmen capable of setting up his teammates like Vance, guy has skills.

Reaction Score
I do like Vance and he seems to have a good skill set for a 6'8" kid. I like his shot but it needs to be
more consistent. He passes OK usually off the drive but he did make two horrific passes that led
to breakout layups last night. The thing that I notice that could use most improvement is his strength in rebounding.
He seems to often times be in good position and get his hands on the ball but not pull it in. I do think
all of the above are just issues that come when you rely to much on a freshman before their time. VERY FEW
freshman come in and play this much and contribute at a high level. If he puts the work in, gets quicker,
stronger and works on his stroke he will be very very solid player for us for years to come.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
VERY good passer, great court vision. And he sticks his nose in on hits people when rebounding. He can shoot, but he knows how to play too. Hope the "rumors" are only a misunderstanding like the kid another really good 4 year guy like Vital which is so huge for a program.

What 'rumors'? Did I miss a thread?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The kid looks like he has been given some really good guidance in the past because he looks comfortable on the court and seems to have some good body control,footwork,positioning and techniques. I am concerned about his recent reluctance/inability/decision to not look for his shot and when has the opportunity, not taking it. This team needs all the offense it can get and for a short window, vj showed he could provide it. I am sure that, if he sticks around, he will be a real solid player for the Huskies.

Reaction Score

I like Vance a lot, and think he'll turn into a really nice player. He's more aggressive on offense and has more skill than Giffey, so the offensive comparison is fair.

But I don't think he'll ever be close to Giffey defensively. He just doesn't have the foot speed or lateral quickness. In 2014, Giffey effectively guarded everyone from Sean Kilpatrick to Julius Randle. Giffey was one of the more versatile defenders we've had - I'd be happy if Vance could become a solid defender of 3/4s, but I'm not expecting much else.

I'm thinking maybe someone like a Denham Brown, but Vance may spend more time in the post as his career progresses.

Reaction Score
for sure. Those two will be crucial. Maybe im just nitpicking too much but I really think he could benefit from being a bit lighter on his feet

No, I don't think you are nitpicking. He is not particularly athletic. If you compare him to Daniels, for example, he has neither the explosiveness with the first step nor the ups that Deandre had. However, as a freshman, he is a much better dribbler and passer than Daniels was and certainly has more basketball instinct.

I don't know that you'll make him quicker. However, if he gets stronger and becomes a more consistent outside shooter, he can have a Giffey like career.

I don't follow the twitter verse, so I don't know what was said this week, but it's hard not to laugh at some of it. if you look at this kid's minutes per game, he has gotten a huge, huge chance to play. If he's not scoring enough points for his liking he should try to shoot better.

Reaction Score
Well just a "tweet" about not liking CT not sure what is was about just hoping it wasn't anything more than a moment.
I hate trying to decipher what tweets from a college kid mean but here's my theory. It was cold and snow was on the ground Monday morning. Vance had the flu all week and felt terrible. The kid is from Southern California. I think anyone in that situation would joke that CT just wasn't for them. My son goes to college in upstate NY and a friend there from Sudan (where it's 85 in the winter and 115 in the summer) makes jokes like that. Doesn't mean he's looking to leave school. You think if Vance was really not happy at UConn he would be posting that on Twitter? I would hope the athletic department and coaches have counseled the kids from posting personal stuff like that. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Reaction Score
Defense? Rashamel Jones? Ricky Moore? We've had many workers. But Vance is being forced to play with the big boys and responding. Not easy at this level. Not quite "Action" Jackson yet but getting there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hate trying to decipher what tweets from a college kid mean but here's my theory. It was cold and snow was on the ground Monday morning. Vance had the flu all week and felt terrible. The kid is from Southern California. I think anyone in that situation would joke that CT just wasn't for them. My son goes to college in upstate NY and a friend there from Sudan (where it's 85 in the winter and 115 in the summer) makes jokes like that. Doesn't mean he's looking to leave school. You think if Vance was really not happy at UConn he would be posting that on Twitter? I would hope the athletic department and coaches have counseled the kids from posting personal stuff like that. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Just out of curiosity what exactly did the tweet say?

Reaction Score
February and March suck in the northeast. It just is this way. That being said, May through October is great here, at least where I live.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hope his ceiling is better than the Gampel ceiling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom