Vance Jackson ceiling | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Vance Jackson ceiling

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Niels Giffey, and I love me some Giffey.

One thing I will say about Giffey though, I have never see anyone try harder on D.

Come on...Ricky Moore? Ryan Boatright?

Reaction Score
I think he is going to be great for us. In light of the Vital comparisons, I was wondering who yall think Vance is comparable to. He clearly has a lot of potential, but my main critique thus far is that he seems a bit slow on both ends of the court. The IQ is there, but I feel he can shed a few to become quicker player. Also there was a couple times in the game yesterday where he tried to establish post position but didnt get the ball. I think adding a post-up/face-up game on the block can help him because of his size and shooting touch. Thoughts?

Agree with shedding a few pounds. If he can do that and have a quicker first step coming off screens he'll be really hard to stop offensively. He's more of a catch and shoot guy from the three, would love to see him develop coming off screens and getting off quick shots Ray Ray style next season. Looks a little sluggish at times, its obvious the bball IQ is there but just needs to polish up his pace of the game for next season. If he doesn't shed some pounds it would be interesting to see him develop a couple effective post moves, has the size.
I agree he is a good passer with great court vision but did make a couple bonehead passes that led to wide open transition buckets this past game against Memphis. Needs to have more awareness at the top of the key.

Reaction Score
I think the shedding the few pounds stuff is mostly inaccurate. The kids in good shape, can he tone it up and get quicker with some work, yeah but the kid has great size to work with. I am sure toning the areas which require you to make an impact on your quickness will she a couple of pounds but not too many.

Reaction Score
I think the shedding the few pounds stuff is mostly inaccurate. The kids in good shape, can he tone it up and get quicker with some work, yeah but the kid has great size to work with. I am sure toning the areas which require you to make an impact on your quickness will she a couple of pounds but not too many.
I think the point is that overall, his limitations when it comes to raw athletic ability mean that it's even more important that he becomes an absolute gym rat. He's never going to be the most athletic guy on the court so to get to his potential, he needs to get every last ounce out of what he has, especially on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
I think his offensive ceiling is higher than Giffey's. He's already shown signs that he can play with his back to the basket and create his own shot. Griffey didn't do any of that until his senior season.

He will struggle taking quicker defenders off the dribble, though.

Reaction Score
I think his offensive ceiling is higher than Giffey's. He's already shown signs that he can play with his back to the basket and create his own shot. Griffey didn't do any of that until his senior season.

He will struggle taking quicker defenders off the dribble, though.
I would tend to agree with you. At the very least, I think he will be a better all-around offensive player than Giffey. Not holding my breath that he'll ever hit 48% from behind the arc but that was just superhuman.

pj

Reaction Score
It'll be easier for him to develop a power forward's game than to become quicker. He needs to become Kevin Freeman's understudy.

Reaction Score
I loved my time at UConn but I sure as hell said the same thing every time I had to walk across campus, through a foot of snow, in sub-freezing temperatures, with my face burning from the wind.
Exactly. Especially if you grew up in a warm climate.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jackson has shown an above average ability to pass while dribbling. He's not relegated to stand and pass. He's very good when you compare him to other front court players.

He will become very good on the dribble, drive and dump pass to a cutter from the weak side.

Reaction Score
Come on...Ricky Moore? Ryan Boatright?

Boat is my favorite Husky of all time, in large part due to his defense during the title run.

I didnt say Niels was a better defender, just that nobody tried harder on D than him. Subtle difference, but there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I didnt say Niels was a better defender, just that nobody tried harder on D than him. Subtle difference, but there.

That's what I was arguing tho. Boat and Rickey were max effort 24/7. Boat used more energy on D in 2014 that I've seen at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Boat was a far superior athlete who anticipated real well. Great defender.

Niels was a good defender based almost solely on effort. At least thats how I saw it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree on comments on Jackson. The kid is going to be special..no doubt. I am on board. He did make a couple of tight passes. However, wasn't he the one that threw not 1 but 2 lazy passes to Adams or Vital, which were picked off and resulted in 4 quick points? those were not passes they were lazy lobs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom