Vance J | The Boneyard

Vance J

Reaction Score
18/10/7 as UNM whacks Nevada for their first loss. Change of scenery does seem to be helping a few of our guys.......not sure what it means other than they seem to be developing elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Havent paid much attention but decided to check his stats based on this thread, what am I missing? And he made the conference freshman team his first year...
Vance Jackson College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
His scoring is up 50%, his rebounding is up almost 100%, and he almost just had a triple double in a blowout win over the #6 team in the country. I didn't say he turned into MJ, but that is dramatic improvement. And Durham is incredibly improved as well.

Reaction Score
His scoring is up 50%, his rebounding is up almost 100%, and he almost just had a triple double in a blowout win over the #6 team in the country. I didn't say he turned into MJ, but that is dramatic improvement. And Durham is incredibly improved as well.
His progression is what you would expect after 2 years, nothing really dramatic, same with Durham 2 years removed from 2 ACL tears. Durham is also only playing 15 min a game. UConn would be better with both still here, I just dont think their improvement is something they wouldn't have been able to achieve here.

Reaction Score
His progression is what you would expect after 2 years, nothing really dramatic, same with Durham 2 years removed from 2 ACL tears. Durham is also only playing 15 min a game. UConn would be better with both still here, I just dont think their improvement is something they wouldn't have been able to achieve here.
Really? How has Carlton progressed? Polley?? Jalen?? Clearly the other guys are better having gone to another place instead of toiling under KO for another year.

Reaction Score
Really? How has Carlton progressed? Polley?? Jalen?? Clearly the other guys are better having gone to another place instead of toiling under KO for another year.
Vance made the freshman team, he was not a bum here. But I'll leave it alone, you want to be miserable on a Saturday night, don't let me get in the way of that.

Reaction Score
Vance would’ve been perfect on this team. A big bodied 6’8 who can shoot the 3 and respectably rebound. Would’ve been a great 4 in this system. His problem was he wanted to be “the guy” and him and his father seemed more concerned about that than winning. Glad New Mexico is working out for him. Chatted with him a lot my junior/his freshman year. Definitely a good dude

Reaction Score
He's playing about the same minutes but scoring more because he's taking more shots while shooting about the same percentages. Only real improvement is rebounding.
He is hardly "the man" at New Mexico though he is a nice player. Wonder if this is what Dad had in mind?

Reaction Score
I’m rounding up stats 12/7/2, 43% fg 42% from 3. Quite respectable. Maybe what we have now is better? Where are the Vance bashers?

Reaction Score
He can't hit FTs for some reason this year. Shooting almost as well from 3 as he is from the FT line. And not on a small amount of attempts.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Who we really need is Enoch!

Reaction Score
Vance would’ve been perfect on this team. A big bodied 6’8 who can shoot the 3 and respectably rebound. Would’ve been a great 4 in this system. His problem was he wanted to be “the guy” and him and his father seemed more concerned about that than winning. Glad New Mexico is working out for him. Chatted with him a lot my junior/his freshman year. Definitely a good dude
Looked like Polley was that guy until the last handful of games, hopefully he can back to playing well.

Reaction Score

Bad comparisons. Durham’s health hadn’t caught up when he was here and he was too 30 recruit prior and Jackson was already decent here as a learning freshman and a top 70. 2 years later they’re supposed to be better just based on maturity I think right? Carlton and Polley aren’t and weren’t supposed to be as good anyway so all is well.

But have at it.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The staff here at the time thought he was soft and was not unhappy when he left. I'm glad he found a spot where he is wanted.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
18/10/7 as UNM whacks Nevada for their first loss. Change of scenery does seem to be helping a few of our guys..not sure what it means other than they seem to be developing elsewhere.
He averaged 9 a game at UConn as Freshman. He probable would be at 15 a game on this years team as a junior.
The kid could shoot , he was certainly flawed but he was a freshman.
If you want to know what happened to UConn then look at the departures of Jackson, Enoch, and Durham.
Kids like Polley, Carlton , Diarra and Whaley were recruited to replace those guys. Instead they were thrown to the wolves . That disaster will haunt us until the youngsters mature or are replaced.by better recruits.
Guys like DO, KW, and Even Cobb ( i’ll Exclude guards , and even Yakwe )weren’t recruits they were replacement bodies.
These three kids who left exacted their revenge by getting their hated coach fired. However that was not accomplished without an immediate price to their teammates and longer term one to the program.

Reaction Score
Vance is a good offensive player. Always has been a,ways will be. Know he’s in much better shape at New Mexico. Didn’t guard anyone in high school or here.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Hope Vance continues to play well -- would have been interesting to see him play for Hurley.

Reaction Score
Carlton and Polley both have made huge leaps from last year.
They were both very young raw not so highly touted guys who came with limited athleticism and both projected as 4 year projects. We’ave gotten more from these kids than we should have expected.
Jaylen also got better until this year. Something is going on with him this year that’s caused a regression.
There are a number of possibilities .
Whether its Playing a different roll then he did for the last two years,
A Conflicted sense of loyalty to his former coach. Or just plain old burnout.
or Personal problems his regression has been a big cause for the demise of this team.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
He averaged 9 a game at UConn as Freshman. He probable would be at 15 a game on this years team as a junior.
The kid could shoot , he was certainly flawed but he was a freshman.
If you want to know what happened to UConn then look at the departures of Jackson, Enoch, and Durham.
Kids like Polley, Carlton , Diarra and Whaley were recruited to replace those guys. Instead they were thrown to the wolves . That disaster will haunt us until the youngsters mature or are replaced.by better recruits.
Guys like DO, KW, and Even Cobb ( i’ll Exclude guards , and even Yakwe )weren’t recruits they were replacement bodies.
These three kids who left exacted their revenge by getting their hated coach fired. However that was not accomplished without an immediate price to their teammates and longer term one to the program.

You left out Kwintin as an intended replacement. Moreover, KO knew he was getting low-quality bigs so he tried to make up for it with quantity, hoping that a few would surprise to the upside. Taking extra bigs meant the roster was guard-poor and then the injuries to Alterique became a killer.

Don't know what KO did to alienate those guys, but whatever it was, it derailed his career.

Reaction Score
Carlton and Polley both have made huge leaps from last year.
They were both very young raw not so highly touted guys who came with limited athleticism and both projected as 4 year projects. We gotten more from these kids than we should have expected.
Jaylen also got better until this year. Something is going on with him this year that’s caused a regression.
There are a number of possibilities .
Whether its Playing a different roll then he did for the last two years,
A Conflicted sense of loyalty to his former coach.
or Personal problems his regression has been a big cause for the demise of this team.
What??? Carlton has actually been worse than last year.

We've gotten more from them than we should have expected?

Just a really strange post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom