Value and Impact of Napheesa Collier | The Boneyard

Value and Impact of Napheesa Collier

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link but couldn't see the first 10 or so entries without being a subscriber...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Napheesa Collier has always been a version of the cheat code not just in basketball but in life. Always graceful, elegant, extremely productive & understated in everything that she does. The beautiful thing about her UCONN tenure and the ironic thing about this entire thread was how slowly UCONN opponents and some basketball fans were to catch on that Napheesa is the main reason you were getting beat. Just like you would have to look carefully at these stats that @CamrnCrz1974 is presenting to realize Napheesa value in the WNBA you would also have to consult the UCONN media guide to realize that Napheesa scored more points than Tina Charles and grabbed more rebounds than Stewie did in her UCONN career. Napheesa recently became a new mother- no doubt that she will master that as well.

Reaction Score
From the first time I watched her play I new she was going to be a really good player. If I had to choose my favorite most complete player that would be her. Great value and impact on me and the basketball world.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Even now Phee's great skill is underappreciated because there is little to no flail to her game and for many flail equates to superb effort. Rubbish. She moves seemingly effortlessly with cat like efficiency. Of all those in the WNBA I like watching her the best.

Reaction Score
Even now Phee's great skill is underappreciated because there is little to no flail to her game and for many flail equates to superb effort. Rubbish. She moves seemingly effortlessly with cat like efficiency. Of all those in the WNBA I like watching her the best.
Flail or flair*?

Reaction Score
Here is a table sorted by Win Shares per game during 2019-2021 seasons which I believe gives a more accurate ranking, with stats complied from Basketball Reference which is publicly available.

Napheesa is in 7th after a clear Top 6 emerged.

1655524455645.png

Reaction Score
i would also say her value and impact is clearly seen in the terrible play of the lynx this season.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Here is a table sorted by Win Shares per game during 2019-2021 seasons which I believe gives a more accurate ranking, with stats complied from Basketball Reference which is publicly available.

Napheesa is in 7th after a clear Top 6 emerged.

View attachment 76996
Can you provide a layperson's definition of "win shares"? Does it work so that win shares are only given if the player's team wins the game? If so, it would favor players who play on winning teams more than those who play on lesser teams, if only because they have more team wins to claim a share of?

To the extent that this calculated stat is valuable (and I assume it is), it is notable that Sue Bird is 18th on the list even this late in her career. Nonetheless, the stat seems to favor front-court players over guards: the highest ranking guards on the list are Skylar at 9th and Sloot at 11th -- I guess that makes them the two "best" guards in the WNBA in some sense.

It is also somewhat surprising that Candace Parker (at 21st) is so far down the list, and that Liz Cambage is only in the middle of the list.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Can you provide a layperson's definition of "win shares"? Does it work so that win shares are only given if the player's team wins the game? If so, it would favor players who play on winning teams more than those who play on lesser teams, if only because they have more team wins to claim a share of?
@JoePgh , here you go. I hope this helps.

WIN SHARES (WS)
Win shares (WS) is a player statistic that attempts to demonstrate how much overall success a player brings to their team.

According to Basketball-Reference, win shares is a metric that estimates the number of wins a player produces for his team throughout the season. It is calculated using player, team and league-wide statistics and the sum of player win shares on a given team will be roughly equal to that team’s win total for the season.

OFFENSIVE WIN SHARES (OWS)
Offensive Win Shares are credited to players based on Dean Oliver's points produced and offensive possessions. The process for crediting OWS is:
  • Calculate points produced for each player.
  • Calculate offensive possessions for each player.
  • Calculate marginal offense for each player. Marginal offense is equal to (points produced) - 0.92 * (league points per possession) * (offensive possessions).
  • Calculate marginal points per win. Marginal points per win reduces to 0.32 * (league points per game) * ((team pace) / (league pace)).
  • Credit Offensive Win Shares to the players.
DEFENSIVE WIN SHARES (DWS)
Defensive Win Shares (DWS) is a player statistic that attributes credit to players based on their ability to prevent opposing teams from scoring. A player’s DWS is calculated by estimating the number of points allowed per 100 defensive possessions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom