Val Ackerman press conference | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Val Ackerman press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are right. But it’s a mistake to ignore economic statistics because those statistics are showing us how many lives this economic collapse will take. The state of the economy will also result in many deaths due to homelessness, suicide, starvation, etc. These are useful statistics whether people care about them or not.

We will never know it’s actual death rate because those who are asymptomatic are not getting tested. A recent study from Stanford found that the actual infection rate could be 50-80 times higher than the confirmed number of cases. If that’s the case, the death rate is FAR lower than what we believe and the percent of people who have the virus even showing symptoms is low.
Nobody is ignoring economic statistics. The question is if everything opens up too soon will it make the economy worse in the long run when illness and death inevitably spike again and the whole process is reset to square one. Homelessness and suicide have always been a problem yet nobody ever seemed to care or talk about it. It's just now being used as a political football and as justification for opening the economy.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
094D274A-47EC-4773-A814-050501173C98.jpeg

Reaction Score
ZZZZ. I can listen to Todd Feinberg for the expert opinions. I wanted commentary on the press conference.

Reaction Score
Nobody is ignoring economic statistics. The question is if everything opens up too soon will it make the economy worse in the long run when illness and death inevitably spike again and the whole process is reset to square one. Homelessness and suicide have always been a problem yet nobody ever seemed to care or talk about it. It's just now being used as a political football and as justification for opening the economy.

There will not be another death spike if the vulnerable and those who live with the vulnerable are responsible. Let’s not forget in NY, nursing homes were forced to take coronavirus patients. Then what happened? Deaths in nursing homes spiked. It all comes down to everyone being aware of the situation and using common sense. If we do that, I’m confident there won’t be a second major wave. If we don’t use common sense, brace yourselves.

Reaction Score
There will not be another death spike if the vulnerable and those who live with the vulnerable are responsible. Let’s not forget in NY, nursing homes were forced to take coronavirus patients. Then what happened? Deaths in nursing homes spiked. It all comes down to everyone being aware of the situation and using common sense. If we do that, I’m confident there won’t be a second major wave. If we don’t use common sense, brace yourselves.
If we are depending on common sense we are doomed. Turn on the news for 5 minutes. Stupidity everywhere. My wife works for a home nursing company and half of them are careless dopes. If half of them dont know any better, it doesn't give me optomism about the rest of us.

Reaction Score
If we are depending on common sense we are doomed. Turn on the news for 5 minutes. Stupidity everywhere. My wife works for a home nursing company and half of them are careless dopes. If half of them dont know any better, it doesn't give me optomism about the rest of us.

That’s an issue. If people aren’t willing to comply with guidelines, we’re in trouble.

Reaction Score
That’s an issue. If people aren’t willing to comply with guidelines, we’re in trouble.

Yeah, you can pretty much forget about common sense helping the situation. The number of people I have observed ignoring guidelines is beyond disappointing. Three McDonald's employees were shot because a customer couldn't eat in the dining area or be bothered to wear a mask. People are boycotting Costco because they are requiring masks and they feel their civil liberties are being trampled because of this simple request. The degree of selfishness one must possess to refuse to abide by such a small requirement that might save several lives is astounding.

Reaction Score
Tested positive and still going out? Not a big deal? Very considerate of them. They feel ok? 95,000 Americans have died, tell me you are joking.
I wish I were joking. Lots of selfish people out there. The fact that my health, at least to some degree, is affected by their actions scares me. I have been invited to restaurants several times in the last week by people who have been doing very little sheltering. I have no idea why they think that I am willing to sit next to them at a booth in a restaurant when they have been all over town the last 6-7 weeks?

Reaction Score
Yeah, you can pretty much forget about common sense helping the situation. The number of people I have observed ignoring guidelines is beyond disappointing. Three McDonald's employees were shot because a customer couldn't eat in the dining area or be bothered to wear a mask. People are boycotting Costco because they are requiring masks and they feel their civil liberties are being trampled because of this simple request. The degree of selfishness one must possess to refuse to abide by such a small requirement that might save several lives is astounding.

That is ridiculous. I don’t want to wear a mask either but I do to protect others. Wake up people

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Got some big cheerleaders for the economy here. Why don't you just recognize that no one knows. If we find out that kids don't get symptoms but they get Kawazaki's disease, or all the boy's penises fall off you can be real proud. It is just irresponsible to recommend people take a risk when you don't know what you are taking about. And pompous as you sound, you dont.
I'll stick with Faucci on this because I understand I don't know this as well as the a scientific community.
Unless you are among the conspiracy theorists, I suggest you realize there are even greater experts than you. Again, we are talking about the rate of returning to normal, not whether we wont.

Reaction Score
those 33 million people are going to go right back to unemployed when we have to do this again because we're hasty about reopening.
That people don’t get this is incredible to me. And at a time when the effective rate on government 10 year bonds is -0.48% (people are paying the US to hold there cash as it is seen as the safest investment) it makes no sense for the US government not to just borrow money and pay people to stay home. Only political will is preventing it.

Reaction Score
The economic damage already done is much worse than most realize. Every week it compounds. We are going to be in serious long term systemic trouble for years to come. I don’t know what we do but when seems to be exactly wrong is the austerity spending posture some states (eh hem, CT) are taking. Instead of pumping money into the local economy with shovel ready projects to sustain local businesses, they are tightening spending. Stupid.
How can u put money into the economy if people can’t go out?

Reaction Score
If you wear a mask so you don't spread the disease.

Shouldn't other people wearing masks protect you from getting it as well. Wouldn't it be stopping them from spreading it to you?

Reaction Score
Got some big cheerleaders for the economy here. Why don't you just recognize that no one knows. If we find out that kids don't get symptoms but they get Kawazaki's disease, or all the boy's penises fall off you can be real proud. It is just irresponsible to recommend people take a risk when you don't know what you are taking about. And pompous as you sound, you dont.
I'll stick with Faucci on this because I understand I don't know this as well as the a scientific community.
Unless you are among the conspiracy theorists, I suggest you realize there are even greater experts than you. Again, we are talking about the rate of returning to normal, not whether we wont.
U do realize Fauci said in January this is nothing to worry about

Reaction Score
How do students take tests with online learning? Do they have a certain time limit to answer questions, etc? I guess my question is, wouldn't everyone just cheat or would grades be more weighted toward project work and writing essays during the semester?

Only reason I ask is because I think the game has changed for at least the next school year unless there is miraculously a vaccine sometime soon. Not saying schools will be closed but a large number of students may opt for an online year.

Every professor has been different. Most require students to download a lock-down browser that the exam must be taken with, and the software gives the professors the option to also video record a student while taking the exam. Students will be asked usually to show their school ID and to show the surroundings before the exam starts. Other professors have been more laid back and have told students exams will be open note, accepting that given the circumstances they might as well make it easier on students. Some have switched from a final exam to a final essay.

Reaction Score
If you wear a mask so you don't spread the disease.

Shouldn't other people wearing masks protect you from getting it as well. Wouldn't it be stopping them from spreading it to you?
Say you wear a mask and don't have it. But someone else that does have it is not wearing a mask and coughs or sneezes and something gets on your clothes. If later on you touch your clothes then touch your eyes, mouth, face, there's your chance at transmitting. Obviously the chances of that are lower, but if both people in the situation are wearing masks then the chance of transmitting would be so much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom