UVM - A simplistic review of the boxscore | The Boneyard

UVM - A simplistic review of the boxscore

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Checking the box score from the 2nd game.

Team Totals
- Huskies won both halves by 9 points for a safe 18 point margin
- KO added a player to the rotation - I count 9 (with Wolf's cameo discounted)
- TO's - down to 8. and forced 15 (that's 32 in 2 games for those counting)
- Defense - .300 total % and .167 from three - perhaps the perimeter D is going to be very strong.
- Blocks - 7 (that's Seven for those that are digitally challenged)
- Red Flag (which we all already knew) - Out Rebounded again.
- Rebounding positive - Well, 11 Offensive rebounds will suit the team nicely in any game.
- Offense - .446 FG % including 25% from 3 - no comments here negative or positive
- No Foul Trouble (again) unless Wolf's 2 in his cameo or Nolan's 3 in 7 minutes causes concern
- Assists - 14 for 25 baskets - in my mind, right about where it should be
- Noticed that the guards played 113 minutes (OC - SN - RB - RE) to 87 for the front court - we are a three guard team
- Did I mention only 8 turnovers?

Individuals
- Ok - I think TO is going to be a force this season. You also believe this (all of you)
- DD - struggled a bit from prior game
- Hello Omar - I think we are going to enjoy watching you.
- RB and SN - I get that the value of this pair is more evident in the intangibles, but just reviewing their lines - well - each played a role in the win and each filled out their line adequately.
- Evans - again - liking what he brings to the table - two strong appearances in a row.

Reaction Score
Yeah man, not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm going to hold off on the accolades for Tyler until we get about 5 games into the beef of our season.

I love the fact that he is a super hard worker, and committed to the program, but declaring he is going to be "a force" is putting way too much on his shoulders. He was 2 for 6 against MSt and 3 for 9 against the Catamounts, with 6 and 9 boards, respectively. Not trying to be hard on the kid, just trying to temper expectations.

I'd be excited to have TO be a dependable role player - play good position defense, rebound hard, don't take bad shots, get the assist when you can.

I thought TO's passing and ball management were the best parts of his game so far, but I think he should about 4 or 5 on the depth chart for who we want taking shots during the game.

Reaction Score
I think TO will be a key contributor for us to win. Not sure 'a force' is quite right, but i'm going to believe it since u wrote it ;>)

DD is going to have some ups and downs, but I like his approach better this year than anytime last year. I think KO might suit his personality a little better than JC

Omar, RB, SN, and RJE are the key to this team winning 20+ games. We go as the guards go!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah man, not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm going to hold off on the accolades for Tyler until we get about 5 games into the beef of our season.

I love the fact that he is a super hard worker, and committed to the program, but declaring he is going to be "a force" is putting way too much on his shoulders. He was 2 for 6 against MSt and 3 for 9 against the Catamounts, with 6 and 9 boards, respectively. Not trying to be hard on the kid, just trying to temper expectations.

I'd be excited to have TO be a dependable role player - play good position defense, rebound hard, don't take bad shots, get the assist when you can.

I thought TO's passing and ball management were the best parts of his game so far, but I think he should about 4 or 5 on the depth chart for who we want taking shots during the game.

I agree with this. There was one sequence in the 2nd half where TO took a jumper very early on the clock. Miss or make (he missed) he is definitely option 4 or 5 almost all the time and he has to understand that there needs to be some attempt to get options 1-3 or 4 their hands on the ball for a least 15-20 seconds unless he has a clear path to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Agree guys, not a force as kev said but a very nice player. I think TO needs to work on his shot selection as he attempted about 5-6shots in the 2 games with people on him tight and he's not that kind of shooter......much better shooter when spotting up and having space to get off the left-hander.......think his percentage goes up with better selection. Still relies on his body rather than his feet on D sometimes but nonetheless noticeably improved there anyway.......slow to get into the flow last night but started pounding the boards and did a nice job thereafter.......you have to be happy for TO as he's worked hard to get where he is!!

pj

Reaction Score
TO is our only big man playing major minutes so he has to pound on big, strong guys all game long. I don't think his numbers are going to look super but if he can hold his position every time up and down and not give away easy points or rebounds then an 8 point 7 rebound 1 assist type line will be terrific. Don't know if force is the right word but he has been strong and will need to continue to be very strong in the paint if this team is to continue winning.

Reaction Score
TO is our only big man playing major minutes so he has to pound on big, strong guys all game long. I don't think his numbers are going to look super but if he can hold his position every time up and down and not give away easy points or rebounds then an 8 point 7 rebound 1 assist type line will be terrific. Don't know if force is the right word but he has been strong and will need to continue to be very strong in the paint if this team is to continue winning.

Yep good point!!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I am not expecting big numbers from Tyler since every night will be a war as he is the only big man we got to every night. So, knowing what will be asked of him I am going to love me some Olander all season. He will become a cult hero.

Reaction Score
In two games we are being out rebounded by an average of 10.5 (61/82). With offensive rebounds it's 19 (of which TO has almost half) versus 37. Two things work in UConn's favor: they are holding opponents to 34% shooting and 20% from 3's, and opponents have taken only 4 more shots (110/114) then we have. This means that most second shots are being contested, blocked or fouled. That's good news. Whether this trend continues is another story.
I do have to say that at least in the first two games, UConn has become a scrappy team that goes after any loose ball. It reminds me of teams of old!

Reaction Score
Another observation - we are starting off games faster than usual by scoring early. That was a major issue the last 3 years under JC.

TO looks confident out there. Don't quite see it with DD and NG yet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't quite see it with DD and NG yet.

DD driving baseline twice for a hoop, sandwiched around a made three against MSU didn't look confident to you? And yesterday he chucked up an absolute heave from the corner that missed badly and didn't immediately look over to the scorers table. That says confidence to me.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
For all but a couple minutes that he was out there Giffey was on UVM's best player Voelkuhl (sp?). His role on the team this year may be akin to Rash Jones. His value might be assessed from the opponent's boxscores instead of ours.

Reaction Score
TO will sprinkle in some 15-12 games among the 8-7 he will probably average. I'm more encouraged by his defensive numbers. 4 blocks and 2 steals a game so far.

As far as rebounding goes, MSU punched a lot of boards out to the guards. NG did the same thing a couple times last night. This could be our best chance of evening out the size differential in the BE.

The lack of turnovers for us is surprising but it looks like it comes from some solved spacing issues and well executed fast breaks. Guards have room to attempt to take someone from the top of the key and not run into a trio of defenders. They are getting to the rim or kicking out to a player in position, not two feet away with a confused look. TO/(Other Center) has room and time to work at the foul line to find cutters and curlers. He's averaging 4 assists per game because of this well run high post offense. Should shred SU if run correctly. The break looks clean, starting from the outlet pass to the players filling the lanes and the trailers hustling behind the ballhandler.

Reaction Score
DD driving baseline twice for a hoop, sandwiched around a made three against MSU didn't look confident to you? And yesterday he chucked up an absolute heave from the corner that missed badly and didn't immediately look over to the scorers table. That says confidence to me.

Hope you are right, but I still get a sense that he is tentative with the ball in his hand.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Hope you are right, but I still get a sense that he is tentative with the ball in his hand.

I thought he appeared more confident and aggressive at the beginning of the game, but then settled in and seemed to be content to chuck up a few outside shots but no aggressive moves going to the basket. In the MSU game, he was very good in the early going, but again seemed to lose the edge as the game progressed.

I think that Ollie has been having the guards set up DD at the start of games to try to get him going and maybe KO should try that at the start of the second half. I would like to see him give NG a set of plays where he is told to score the basketball to try to get him to loosen up some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom