USMNT roster for June qualifiers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

USMNT roster for June qualifiers

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Great result. Altidore sucks.

You know, I have never been a big fan of Jozy because I don't favor the hold-up play center forwards. He always seems to have a knack to produce enough to make me keep my mouth shut, though. Still, I like the more mobile strikers and wish that we would use players like Wood a lot more than Jozy...

Reaction Score
Very solid performance team wide and I would have left Altidore on the bench.
All this hate for Altidore for playing 10 minutes damn. Bobby is a good player but he was pretty nonexistent today, more to be desired there for sure.

Reaction Score
Great result. Funny, when I saw our starting 11 I didn't have the same reaction as many who posted earlier. I had a weird feeling it would work out and we'd earn a point.

Nice balance of USMNT experience, Liga MX experience, and the new guard. Would have liked to have seen Morris subbed in rather than Altidore, but hard to find fault with any of the decision given the result achieved at Azteca.

Reaction Score
See that lineup for today's game? Fire him yesterday...
It's too early to know if Arena got the tactics right, but it's a very positive start, and wow what a goal by Bradley!!!

Huh? You wanted to fire him before kick-off, and then 5 minutes in you decide that it's too early to judge his tactics?

If you feel free to want a coach fired for his lineup before kickoff, at least have the decency to let the game play out to see how stupid you look before retreating. Because on a scale of 1 to 10, ....

Reaction Score
Acosta and Cameron (late getting back and ran right by the man who scored) were to blame for the goal.

That said, I'm sold on Acosta.

Playing a 5-4-1 as a 5-2-2-1 and it seems to be working. Bruce still playing for a late US goal to decide the points.

Sorry, but everyone is off. Responsibility for the goal rests entirely on Bobby Wood. If he buries that shot -- which he should have -- we win. If he just makes contact and puts it high or wide, there is no counter and maybe we hold on.

Reaction Score
Well, I suppose I owe Arena somewhat of an apology. While the starting lineup and formation were both extremely strange, they ultimately produced the desired result. The second half was a great deal more defensive, likely by design. We were a crossbar away from losing; a post away from winning.

I still would have liked to have attacked more with a more aggressive lineup, but the goal is to qualify...

They were playing at altitude 72 hours after playing at altitude. He went for fresh legs and it worked. That would make him entirely right and you entirely wrong. For goodness sakes, take it like a man and quit pretending Arena didn't play it exactly right. We played a good team on the road, and gave up 1 shot on goal all game. As little possession as we had, we had more chances to win the game than they did.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Huh? You wanted to fire him before kick-off, and then 5 minutes in you decide that it's too early to judge his tactics?

If you feel free to want a coach fired for his lineup before kickoff, at least have the decency to let the game play out to see how stupid you look before retreating. Because on a scale of 1 to 10, ....

I never said I wanted him fired. I think you're mixing me up with someone else, Biz...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
They were playing at altitude 72 hours after playing at altitude. He went for fresh legs and it worked. That would make him entirely right and you entirely wrong. For goodness sakes, take it like a man and quit pretending Arena didn't play it exactly right. We played a good team on the road, and gave up 1 shot on goal all game. As little possession as we had, we had more chances to win the game than they did.

Not sure where all your friggin venom is coming from tonight, Biz. It's not like I'm in the camp that hated the Arena hire, nor am I shying away from owning my criticisms of the lineup. His game plan worked and I have given him kudos for it.

For the record, I've supported the Arena hire (as well as the Klinsmann firing). Arena is a safe pick that will have our players working hard and qualifying for the WC in Russia. I've never hated on the guy...

Reaction Score
Not sure where all your friggin venom is coming from tonight, Biz. It's not like I'm in the camp that hated the Arena hire, nor am I shying away from owning my criticisms of the lineup. His game plan worked and I have given him kudos for it.

For the record, I've supported the Arena hire (as well as the Klinsmann firing). Arena is a safe pick that will have our players working hard and qualifying for the WC in Russia. I've never hated on the guy...

I don't know either. Maybe heat stroke from walking 18 today like an idiot. Accept my apology

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't know either. Maybe heat stroke from walking 18 today like an idiot. Accept my apology

Accept mine too. It feels like 10 years since I've experienced a 90 degree day, so I'm not even sure where I am right now... ;)

Reaction Score
All this hate for Altidore for playing 10 minutes damn. Bobby is a good player but he was pretty nonexistent today, more to be desired there for sure.

It was not a knock on Altidore, Pulisic was playing great and should have finished the game.

Reaction Score

And again we still don't see much of a difference between Arena and Klinsmann performance wise.

Player pool.

Oh except for JK beat T&T 4-0 at home last cycle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rip-roaring game. Times like this I feel bad for the non-soccer fan.

If you didn't watch Scotland v. England you should. That was rip-roaring. Great match.

Reaction Score
Good result.

But the decision to play virtually the entire second half without possession seems strange to me. The goalie never gave the ball to the back line to move up the field. It was long kick after long kick with predictable loss of possession half the time or more. I think they had extended possession of the ball no more than twice in the second half. I get the strategy, but there were many times when we could have started with a few touches. You know, so the guys know what the ball felt like.

And I have read what a terrible game Pulisic had. Which was odd because he looked like he was playing alone against three guys. Moving the ball and the Mexico defense around a little might have put him in better situations.

Reaction Score
He seems very average when he's on the field against better teams and players.

Getting a draw against them @ Azteca with Guzan in goal is a good outcome overall.

And I have read what a terrible game Pulisic had. Which was odd because he looked like he was playing alone against three guys. Moving the ball and the Mexico defense around a little might have put him in better situations.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good result.

But the decision to play virtually the entire second half without possession seems strange to me. The goalie never gave the ball to the back line to move up the field. It was long kick after long kick with predictable loss of possession half the time or more. I think they had extended possession of the ball no more than twice in the second half. I get the strategy, but there were many times when we could have started with a few touches. You know, so the guys know what the ball felt like.

Pulisic was fine. He didn't carry us for the reason you noted, he was totally alone. Nobody could even get him the ball, most of the time he went and took it to gain possession. On a few occasions he made things happen and created chances, especially early. Then Mexico realized he was really the only dangerous player we had.

Reaction Score
And again we still don't see much of a difference between Arena and Klinsmann performance wise.

Player pool.

Oh except for JK beat T&T 4-0 at home last cycle.

Seriously? You're going to pretend that we played the 3-4-3 with the same level of understanding and cohesion in Colombus that we did last night?

Reaction Score
JK also lost to Costa Rica 4-0, and Mexico 2-1.

Arena has coached 39 more games than JK for the US and yet he only has 2 more losses, and his teams have given up 6 fewer goals.

Crowing over a single result against T&T, ignores the fact his overall results are good, but not better than Arena's. Whether they hired Arena or not, it was clear that JK had lost the team and deserved to be fired.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Gotta give Arena his props. Only the 3rd time we've taken a point in Azteca. Only scored like 6? goals there.

Arena drops Howard, Brooks, Johnson, Dempsey, Altidore (almost guaranteed starters) and we come out 1-1? Either really lucky, or nice job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom