USMNT roster for June qualifiers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USMNT roster for June qualifiers

Reaction Score
I had to go look up Merritt Paulson and found this quote: "For this sport to be successful in this country, for the national team to be successful, the national team and our domestic league need to be pointing in the same direction more often than not and that just hasn't been the case under Jurgen Klinsmann."

Screw him. The best thing for the national team to be successful is for MLS to have as little input as possible.

ADD: And now I get why Nagbe is starting. It certainly isn't merit based.

I would kill MLS for a World Cup. I am a season ticket holder and I would say that.

The USMNT is MLS's only inject into the mainstream and MLS has hijacked the USMNT.

If you really want to get irritated then google Soccer United Marketing.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've been a big Nagbe supporter for quite a while, and tonight didn't change my opinion at all. He does a lot for that midfield and adds a creative burst that some of the others don't add. We can argue about the formation and whether or not Nagbe should be on the left to begin with, but Fabian Johnson probably has to be in our starting 11 and unless we put Johnson as a back instead of Villafana, it makes the most sense to play Nagbe on the other side like tonight.

Definitely still some questions going into the Mexico game, like who will be the striker pairing, etc. Oh, and that kid Pulisic seems to be alright... ;)

Reaction Score
I've been a big Nagbe supporter for quite a while, and tonight didn't change my opinion at all. He does a lot for that midfield and adds a creative burst that some of the others don't add. We can argue about the formation and whether or not Nagbe should be on the left to begin with, but Fabian Johnson probably has to be in our starting 11 and unless we put Johnson as a back instead of Villafana, it makes the most sense to play Nagbe on the other side like tonight.

Definitely still some questions going into the Mexico game, like who will be the striker pairing, etc. Oh, and that kid Pulisic seems to be alright... ;)
I thought Fabian Johnson was our worst player on the pitch last night. I am really excited about the Yedlin, Nagbe, Pulisic trio. Also, please start Bobby Wood.

Reaction Score
Good result, so-so game. If not for Williams in goal for T&T that is easily another 6-0 win. Boy, the US really does lose focus after they score. Almost conceding again immediately after scoring. That can't happen.

Pulisic IS US soccer right now. I'd love to see him get the assist on Dempsey's record setting goal. I expect Mexico to knock him around and down every chance they get

Love the fact that they've been training and playing at altitude for the past 2 weeks in preparation for Azteca. Also that the Mexico game is a later start as the sun is going down. I watched a little of Mexico-Honduras, and Mexico played their B (maybe A-) team, sitting several regular starters so they'd have fresh legs for The Game on Sunday. A point would be huge.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I thought Fabian Johnson was our worst player on the pitch last night. I am really excited about the Yedlin, Nagbe, Pulisic trio. Also, please start Bobby Wood.

Oh clearly Johnson was the worst player last night by far. And I should also add that I thought Villafana had a very good game. Having said that, I still think that Johnson is in our best 11 in terms of talent. But yeah, last night was rough.

Back to Nagbe, he clearly belongs in our starting 11. I'd be much more likely to swap out Bradley than Nagbe, although I will say that Bradley had a mistake-free game, even if it was uninspiring...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not a great game by any means (although it could easily have been like 5-2). But getting the 3 points was vital, so, job done.

Mexico game is a freeby. If we get anything out of it, great, if not, whatever. This puts us in a good position for 2/3 spot in the Hex. That's all we need.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Wood was being held out for Mexico. Even Arena knows he should be in there no matter which MLS guy would get his feefee's hurt. Doesn't he?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I think Wood was being held out for Mexico. Even Arena knows he should be in there no matter which MLS guy would get his feefee's hurt. Doesn't he?

This is something that I don't understand (I'm not trying to single you out by the way). So Arena has been criticized for essentially having nearly the same lineup as Klinsmann give or take 1 player, but Arena is also criticized for being super worried about the MLS guys getting their feelings hurt? People can't have it both ways...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Oh clearly Johnson was the worst player last night by far. And I should also add that I thought Villafana had a very good game. Having said that, I still think that Johnson is in our best 11 in terms of talent. But yeah, last night was rough.

Back to Nagbe, he clearly belongs in our starting 11. I'd be much more likely to swap out Bradley than Nagbe, although I will say that Bradley had a mistake-free game, even if it was uninspiring...

The midfield hole between Bradley and Pulisic in the Venezuela game was being filled against TT by Johnson and Nagbe (and Pulisic dropping a little deeper), but mostly those two. They were alternating depending where the ball was almost like a zone in basketball. Johnson generally played higher that Nagbe, but against TT it worked for what it is worth. It also allowed Villafana to overlap a lot which he did to good effect though I don't think he can do that against Mexico with as much abandon.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The midfield hole between Bradley and Pulisic in the Venezuela game was being filled against TT by Johnson and Nagbe (and Pulisic dropping a little deeper), but mostly those two. They were alternating depending where the ball was almost like a zone in basketball. Johnson generally played higher that Nagbe, but against TT it worked for what it is worth. It also allowed Villafana to overlap a lot which he did to good effect though I don't think he can do that against Mexico with as much abandon.

I prefer Nagbe more to the left, but Villafana had a very good game up the left wing (which ironically should have been Johnson). I think that the midfield situation was complicated by the two forwards (Dempsey, Altidore) who didn't play high enough in my opinion. Altidore had a good game, but he needs to be higher than where he played. Leave the room for Nagbe to roam in the center where he was effective, which gives Johnson more room on the left and Pulisic more room on the right with Yedlin in support on the overlap...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought Nagbe played a solid game. He was great back on D and has really solid ball skills. He made many moves that left TT players in the dust. I like him out there as Pulisic needs someone else to make plays and get him the ball.

I also agree that Wood needs to start against Mexico.

Final thought, that free kick by Acosta that almost went in was pretty. He just barely missed that top corner and I believe he hit the post or it was just wide.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
See that lineup for today's game? Fire him yesterday...

I just saw the starting lineup and I think I'm gonna be sick. Let's hope that he knows some secret that we don't, because I'm absolutely baffled by this...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm trying to make sense of this lineup. It will essentially be almost everyone behind the ball, waiting for the counter. It will also be with players that have Mexican league experience, I guess. But there is no doubt that our best 11 are not taking the field, and that is something that should never happen, regardless of tactics...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Classic my players who've played two matches are spent, house money lineup. T&T was the critical match for sure, but this is a defend all day and hope to win 1-0 or draw 0-0/1-1.

You'll see Dempsey and Nagbe in the 2nd half if we need a goal.

Guzan is the one that really bothers me (and maybe Gonzo).

He is playing the 3-5-2 (3-3-1-1-2) which mexico torched in 10 minutes in Columbus.

If he was so concerned about fitness, why did he put out the full first team in the friendly?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I'm trying to make sense of this lineup. It will essentially be almost everyone behind the ball, waiting for the counter. It will also be with players that have Mexican league experience, I guess. But there is no doubt that our best 11 are not taking the field, and that is something that should never happen, regardless of tactics...

If is also a faster lineup. Other than Nagbe who is probably tired, all the other guys sitting are slow.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If is also a faster lineup. Other than Nagbe who is probably tired, all the other guys sitting are slow.

I was thinking about that, too. But is an old Beasley still faster than Johnson? Is Gonzales faster than Brooks? Is Kellen faster than Nagbe?

I think the answer to all three questions is "no", so I'm still extremely surprised...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I was thinking about that, too. But is an old Beasley still faster than Johnson? Is Gonzales faster than Brooks? Is Kellen faster than Nagbe?

I think the answer to all three questions is "no", so I'm still extremely surprised...

Old Man Beasley is still pretty fast, prob faster than Johnson, definitely faster that Johnson after two matches this week. Probably the same for Nagbe, he was dragging a bit against TT. I don't think any of our CB are fast. I would expect to see those three plus Bradley try to build a wall in front of Guzan, push Mexico out to the flank and dare them to cross.

I think this is part plan and part squad management by Arena. Rivalry where you want to win aside. He will get 30 minutes out of Dempsey, which is all I really want these days.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's too early to know if Arena got the tactics right, but it's a very positive start, and wow what a goal by Bradley!!!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's too early to know if Arena got the tactics right, but it's a very positive start, and wow what a goal by Bradley!!!
Well if his tactics were to play all defensive he just got a nice gift of that early goal so they can now just sit back and defend.

However, they've had plenty of other chances so they might not just sit back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom