USF's Taggart to Oregon | The Boneyard

USF's Taggart to Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I honestly thought during his first year that he was a bad hire. They looked like such a mess.

Wonder who's next.

Reaction Score
Sources: USF's Taggart to be next Oregon coach

"With Taggart headed to the West Coast, potential candidates for the South Florida job would be Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, former Texas coach Charlie Strong, Florida State co-offensive coordinator Lawrence Dawsey (a former USF assistant) and Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano, sources told ESPN."

The depressing thing for me, is that I don't think Kiffin/Strong/Schiano would even look at UCONN.

Reaction Score

"With Taggart headed to the West Coast, potential candidates for the South Florida job would be Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, former Texas coach Charlie Strong, Florida State co-offensive coordinator Lawrence Dawsey (a former USF assistant) and Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano, sources told ESPN."

The depressing thing for me, is that I don't think Kiffin/Strong/Schiano would even look at UCONN.

Why would they? This administration doesn't take football seriously. And we have absurd admission standards. Keeping Diaco on board was the last straw for me. This program is as dead as the day is long.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Why would they? This administration doesn't take football seriously. And we have absurd admission standards. Keeping Diaco on board was the last straw for me. This program is as dead as the day is long.

"Someone has to be the Duke of this conference." <--potential quote from anyone in the UConn administration.

Reaction Score

I think UConn can attract a good coach when the time comes. Think about this. Two of the hottest assistant coaches in college football were once at UConn: Todd Orlando and Joe Moorhead. UConn's last 2 head coach searches were poorly done, but hopefully, the 3rd time is the charm.

As for the 3 coaches you mentioned:

Kiffin: Tons of baggage, but maybe he has matured. Doubtful USF takes the risk. UConn would never take the risk.

Strong: Natural fit due to Florida connections, but failed miserably at Texas which is a red flag. Had 2 good seasons at Louisville with Bridgewater as QB. Will be 57 before next season, so he is on his last or second to last job. UConn would be interested and his style of play would work.

Schiano: Ties to Florida and was Tampa Bay's coach. Failed miserably at TB. In 11 seasons had 4 winning seasons in Big East play and was 28-48 in conference. His first 4 years at Rutgers were 2-9, 1-11, 5-7, 4-7, and he was 3-24 in conference. Hopefully, UConn would have no interest.

Reaction Score
Wow. So the AAC has sent coaches to Oregon, Baylor, Texas and Virginia Tech in the past two years. Not too shabby. Sucks that our league is always turning over but cool that they're heading to elite programs.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think UConn can attract a good coach when the time comes. Think about this. Two of the hottest assistant coaches in college football were once at UConn: Todd Orlando and Joe Moorhead. UConn's last 2 head coach searches were poorly done, but hopefully, the 3rd time is the charm.

Kiffin: Tons of baggage, but maybe he has matured. Doubtful USF takes the risk. UConn would never take the risk.

Strong: Natural fit due to Florida connections, but failed miserably at Texas which is a red flag. Had 2 good seasons at Louisville with Bridgewater as QB. Will be 57 before next season, so he is on his last or second to last job. UConn would be interested and his style of play would work.

Schiano: Ties to Florida and was Tampa Bay's coach. Failed miserably at TB. In 11 seasons had 4 winning seasons in Big East play and was 28-48 in conference. His first 4 years at Rutgers were 2-9, 1-11, 5-7, 4-7, and he was 3-24 in conference. Hopefully, UConn would have no interest.
Charlie Strong is really that old? Jesus I gotta get on him regimen.

Reaction Score
Wow. So the AAC has sent coaches to Oregon, Baylor, Texas and Virginia Tech in the past two years. Not too shabby. Sucks that our league is always turning over but cool that they're heading to elite programs.

And this is why being in a G5 league like this will always have its ceiling - it's a virtual farm system for P5 coaches. (Not to mention that most of the time they leave for greener pastures before their team even plays in its bowl game, but that's the nature of college football and one of the many fundamental flaws of the system.)

Reaction Score
Uncle Luther has spoken:

LUTHER R CAMPBELL@unclelukereal1 1 hour ago
This from the coaching consulting firm of Campbell and Campbell. USF Randy Shannon Houston Lane kiffin Temple T Martin Charlie Strong on vacation

LUTHER R CAMPBELL ‏@unclelukereal1 44m 44 minutes ago
@macker_da best person for South Florida jobs because it depends on players from Miami Dade County and Tampa Orlando area is Randy Shannon

@macker_da if you can't recruit Miami Dade Tampa Orlando USF job is not for you

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I disagree on Kiffin...I don't think his baggage is that bad. USF would definitely take the risk..and so would UConn. But..he wouldn't come to UConn.

Reaction Score
Uncle Luther has spoken:

LUTHER R CAMPBELL@unclelukereal1 1 hour ago
This from the coaching consulting firm of Campbell and Campbell. USF Randy Shannon Houston Lane kiffin Temple T Martin Charlie Strong on vacation

@macker_da best person for South Florida jobs because it depends on players from Miami Dade County and Tampa Orlando area is Randy Shannon

@macker_da if you can't recruit Miami Dade Tampa Orlando USF job is not for you

That he even cares about this is hysterical.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
"Someone has to be the Duke of this conference." <--potential quote from anyone in the UConn administration.
Maybe we could join the CCC conference? Get a gig playing southington every year

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Poor TJ...another coach moving on and he is looking for a job again. I previously didnt think there was a chance he would come back here...but....now that things have changed at USF, it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility that he could come back to UConn.

Reaction Score
If Oregon isn't too impatient this will be a pretty good hire I think.
Eh, I don't knowant. He will have similar problems to a guy like Edsall and Strong. He is going to be going up against better coaches every week. Not like coaching/taking candy from Diaco/a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom