USF WBB | Page 12 | The Boneyard

USF WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the first time in USF WBB history, the team has been ranked in both polls throughout the entire season.

Final polls: AP #21. Coaches #22.

RPI is '' for 2015-2016 Women's College Basketball - WarrenNolan.com

Considering all the injuries to key players which prevented them from playing for many games, it is quite a testament to the coaches and players to have been able to play well enough to stay ranked the entire time.

It will be interesting to see whether USF will start the next season ranked in the polls, considering the loss of so much of our starting talent. If not, that will only give them, more incentive to do well and get back to where they have been the last couple of years.
Congratulations! Hope Jose can keep the momentum going, reload, come back next year better than ever!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Good luck to Courtney in the draft on Thursday! Would love to see the Sun draft both Courtney and Tuck. They would make a great combination.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Good luck to Courtney in the draft on Thursday! Would love to see the Sun draft both Courtney and Tuck. They would make a great combination.

Thanks, and good luck to your three players.

CfU3LeoUIAAZdqd.jpg

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Courtney didn't go in the top 3 or 4, but she still went in the first round and to a great situation.

Yep.

USF W. Basketball Retweeted
Joey Knight ‏@TBTimes_Bulls 2h2 hours agoFlorida, USA
.@CourtMWilliams on playing with Taurasi: "Everyone always ask me who I look up to and who I compare my mentality to, and I always say her."

• Pitman on @CourtMWilliams: "She was someone who I had circled a long time ago who would be a great fit for the Phoenix Mercury."
  1. Pitman on @CourtMWilliams: "I don't think she gets nearly enough credit for the ability to create for others." @PhoenixMercury

2. Pitman: "We have a lot of all-star-caliber players...but we don't have the speed and quickness necessarily that Courtney Williams brings."
  3. Phoenix GM Jim Pitman said he watched every @USFWBB game this year. Loved @CourtMWilliams, just didn't think she'd still be available at 8

Phoenix Mercury ‏@PhoenixMercury "She's going to be a great defender in this league, I'm really thrilled she was available today." GM on @CourtMWilliams

Reaction Score
Funny, you should mention those kids. When I first saw them on TV they looked familiar, but I couldn't place them. So, I asked my better half who also did not know.

I think they were two USF WBB fans whose family scraped up enough money to take them to the games in LA.

As for another possible Laksa in the wings, you might want to keep an eye on our incoming freshmen guard from Denmark. I have a very good feeling about her.

Enna Pehadzic
HORSENS, DENMARK
I have a pretty good feeling about the bigs USF is bringing in this year. All of them have good potential and if even one develops to that potential...... if 2 or more do you guys could be dangerous in 2017-18.

Class of 2016

POSITION G
HEIGHT
5' 10"
COLLEGE SOUTH FLORIDA

Enna Pehadzic | Prospects Nation

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thrilled for Courtney to go to Phoenix. Wish it had been CT, but think she actually went to a team that is better for her career. Playing with Dee will be really good for her. I think they will bond, as Dee only likes people who are as competitive as she is, and Courtney certainly qualifies. Will keep an eye on ESPN for their games. I do love to watch Dee, and also love to watch Courtney, so I get a double bonus!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
We still might not be done with this class.

Joey Knight‏@TBTimes_Bulls
.@USFWBB also in serious contention for Miami-Dade College PG Nachalie Dejesus, a juco All-American. #reloading

Nachalie_Dejesus.jpg

20 Nachalie Dejesus
Height: 5'7
Year: SO
Hometown: Luquillo, Puerto Rico
High School: John A. Ferguson High School
Position: Guard
GP29
PTS/G21.8
FG %45.2
3PT %47.9
FT %67.6
REB/G8.1
A/G3.1

Nachalie Dejesus

Last edited:
Reaction Score

.@USFWBB also in serious contention for Miami-Dade College PG Nachalie Dejesus, a juco All-American. #reloading

Nachalie_Dejesus.jpg

20 Nachalie Dejesus
GP29
PTS/G21.8
FG %45.2
3PT %47.9
FT %67.6
REB/G8.1
A/G3.1

Nachalie Dejesus
Nice that Intl'l & Jucos can play right away - hope these work out for you!

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Nice that Intl'l & Jucos can play right away - hope these work out for you!

Yes, just about every international player we bring in is on their national team, so they are usually more mature and can usually make an easier transition to college basketball than most freshmen. the same is generally true for the JUCO players.

Perhaps, we will even be able red shirt one or more of the freshmen.

One thing is for certain, USF will be a much "bigger" team with all the size we will then have on the roster.

Reaction Score
Yes, just about every international player we bring in is on their national team, so they are usually more mature and can usually make an easier transition to college basketball than most freshmen. the same is generally true for the JUCO players.

One thing is for certain, USF will be a much "bigger" team with all the size we will then have on the roster.
UCONN could use a beef injection like that. What is USF's attraction for European players?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UCONN could use a beef injection like that. What is USF's attraction for European players?
Sunshine in the winter.

This January pic is taken from:

a. Storrs, CT
b. South Bend, IN
c. Columbus, OH
d. Clearwater Beach, FL

xcq5dam.resized.450.256.png.pagespeed.ic.3_juLMHNd3.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Nachalie_Dejesus.jpg

20 Nachalie Dejesus
GP29
PTS/G21.8
FG %45.2
3PT %47.9
FT %67.6
REB/G8.1
A/G3.1

Nachalie Dejesus
DeJesus, she shoots 47.9% from the arc! ;)

Put her and Laksa on the floor together.

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score

Well, USF is generally unable to land the top 100 American players. We have more of them showing interest in USF for '17. So, hopefully, we will land some of them, but the competition is severe.

Since we couldn't land top American talent, our coach has found that it is more viable for us to go after top European talent, and we have been fairly successful doing that over time.

In recent years, more US colleges have been going overseas for players:

2016’s Committed where?
Posted on April 15, 2016 by bluestareurope

2016’s Committed where?

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Sunshine in the winter.

This January pic is taken from:

a. Storrs, CT
b. South Bend, IN
c. Columbus, OH
d. Clearwater Beach, FL

xcq5dam.resized.450.256.png.pagespeed.ic.3_juLMHNd3.jpg

I think there is more than a grain of truth in that.

USF coach Jose Fernandez is multilingual and is able to communicate with the. That's a big plus, especially when recruiting Hispanics. We have a number of them on our team. I'm sure it was no coincidence that the team took a trip to Spain to play exhibition games before the season. At the same time, he was able to do some recruiting over there for the future.

Our Men's BB coach is attempting to do something similar, since he is also the coach of the Dominican national team. So far he has had limited success, but it is still early.

Reaction Score

Always the innovators, I understand that USF has launched a space satellite in search of alien ballers to help add more talent to the program:):)

USFMB

Full of the Bulls
Reaction Score
Always the innovators, I understand that USF has launched a space satellite in search of alien ballers to help add more talent to the program:):)

Ha! Ha!

Considering that USF is approaching 500 million dollars in research grants, there may be an ongoing project in that regard.

USF goes international for women's basketball talent
Sunday, March 1, 2015 10:23pm

c4s_bulls030215_14788585_8col.jpg

Associated Press (2014)

USF starting point guard Laura Marcos Canedo, near right, driving on Connecticut guard Saniya Chong, is a native of Spain and one of six scholarship players on the Bulls from Europe.

TAMPA — The disparity between Connecticut and its league counterparts remains profound. Closing the gap requires broadening horizons. It doesn't suffice to merely think outside the box; one must think outside the borders.

Hence, USF women's basketball coach Jose Fernandez has gone to great lengths — upward of 5,000 miles — to try to narrow that chasm.

"We're going to try to get the players here in our program. It doesn't matter where they're from," said Fernandez, whose NCAA Tournament-bound team hosts the top-ranked Huskies tonight. "If they're right down the road or you've got to go across the country or across the world to get them, that's what we'll do."

Read more about why our coach recruits the way he does, at:

USF goes international for women's basketball talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member