USF Ruins the integrity of Basketball! | The Boneyard

USF Ruins the integrity of Basketball!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I want to look at it as a great show of sportsmanship between 2 friends that happen to coach against each other 2 or 3 times a year.
IIRC, the senior that was honored, Laura Ferreira, seemed to be kind of "chippy" against us so maybe this is one way of sending her off into the real world with a little less chippiness.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Back a few years, Geno made a pact with his friend and fellow Big East coach Harry Perretta. Nykesha Sales sustained a season ending injury, her senior year and was just a point away from breaking Bascom's scoring record. She was allowed to start and score just we saw last night, with Villanova getting a return score. Keesha went to the bench and therefore broke the scoring record.

Wow, was there a lot of "heartburn" from a lot of people, across the WBB community. Geno had cleared it with Kerry prior to making it happen.

Reaction Score
I was speaking to my sister about the horrible prices for the USF/UCONN game seats and a woman sitting next to me said it was because they needed to get money for all those million dollar players. She was shocked when I explained it was a Women's college basketball game. That is what I thought this thread was about so I was ready to throw in my two cents about charging $50 for seats. I found cheaper seats for the Final Four. It gets worse every year therefore I will not support USF anymore. I gave away my hat and as soon as I find my shirt, it will be donated to Goodwill. I'm done..... thanks for listening.

Reaction Score
I want to look at it as a great show of sportsmanship between 2 friends that happen to coach against each other 2 or 3 times a year.
IIRC, the senior that was honored, Laura Ferreira, seemed to be kind of "chippy" against us so maybe this is one way of sending her off into the real world with a little less chippiness.
Sounds like Geno liked the way she played... and there is no record involved, so no one needed to be consulted. Just a nice gesture for someone that may never play again.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The Sales gesture affected no player or program outside of UConn. The Sales gesture affected none of the UConn players who finished their careers with lower point totals. The Sales gesture affected none of the players who would go on to surpass the point totals of Sales and Bascomb. I doubt it mattered much to Moore, et al, which one had the higher point total when she passed them, nor will it matter to the future players that pass them. It affected Bascomb, of course, but not in depriving her of a permanent record, but rather to hold onto that record for a little shorter time. Knowing it was bound to be broken anyways, she gave it her full, enthusiastic approval.

It affected Sales as well. It was supposed to affect her in a good way, in appreciation of what she had done. That was the ticket, the appreciation, not the record, as Sales likely knew as well as Bascomb that the record would not be permanent for a program starting to attract the best players. Alas, reports later revealed that it did not affect Sales in as good a way as intended, because of all the flack involved. The purity of the game was the alleged concern, as if a high profile sport would be pure otherwise if not for such an incident, but I find that to be a smokescreen for whatever else makes people so concerned over such a trivial matter.

And, yes, Jeff Jacobs, me being one of the BY guys you interviewed and who happens to appreciate most of your columns, I am thinking about you.

Reaction Score
The girl had her life turned upside down --- it was a nice gesture, for her and her parents, who still have to be worried sick.

Some things are bigger than the game.
Yep great job by Geno and UConn for helping make this happen. She even got a hug before the game from Geno. Glad that every time Geno has a chance to prove wrong detractors of his character and class that he does.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It was a salute, an honor, to the game and the wonderful young women who work so hard, give up so much, to play the game at its highest level.
It was just as you say. And everyone must learn to read the entire original post wherein the poster ended with an emoji. ;) By virtue of that winking , he is telling us that he is being sarcastic. This subtlety is just way too easy to see. Just look. Everyone here agrees it was a lovely gesture to a respected opponent, even if they do not know that they agree! :confused:

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Carl Adamec's story:

Auriemma happy to allow USF senior uncontested hoop

“Geno and I talked about it, and we have a real good relationship,” Fernandez said. “This is a young lady with what she’s going through and the procedure she’ll have, this could be the last time she stepped on a basketball floor. For her to walk off meant a lot to our team, to our staff, to our fans. It was special.”

Reaction Score
I don't have any problem with USF getting a free basket. Maybe I would if UCONN had lost by 1 or two points.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score

Laura Ferreira:

I’m not playing right now because I had some [heart] palpitations before — while I was playing. The doctor took me out, I did a bunch of tests and, unfortunately, it showed [Ventricular tachycardia]. And the next step is to put a defibrillator on"

Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno liked the way she played... and there is no record involved, so no one needed to be consulted. Just a nice gestureW
With a player like Laura F. that is fun to watch, one who give 120 percent every game and usually 200 percent against the huskies and BB fan has to admire her. I'm pleased Geno saw that as well. Laura Ferreira is one of my 2 favorite players on that team.
Her heart is beating faster, it should she plays at that speed all the time.
I sincerely hope and pray this wonderful young woman is healthy enough in time to reap the rewards of a European career in and around BB.. Love that kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom