USF postgame | The Boneyard

USF postgame

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A couple thoughts on the game today:

- Nice to watch a “low stress” UConn win for a change
- The defense was great. With Liv as a rim protector, the rest of the team pressured USF relentlessly, forcing numerous turnovers.
- Megan and Christyn were both far more aggressive today, reminding all of us why they were both HS NPOY’s.
- I’ve been wondering all season what happened to Pheesa’s 3-pt shooting…..No worries.
- Finally, in case anyone forgot, UConn was playing without their 2-time, 1st-team AA today.

Reaction Score

- The defense was great. With Liv as a rim protector, the rest of the team pressured USF relentlessly, forcing numerous turnovers.
- Megan and Christyn were both far more aggressive today, reminding all of us why they were both HS NPOY’s.
- I’ve been wondering all season what happened to Pheesa’s 3-pt shooting…..No worries.
- Finally, in case anyone forgot, UConn was playing without their 2-time, 1st-team AA today.
ONO for BA---forget the chart stats. This kid changes the game. When does 1 Uconn player equal 3 Uconn players--when that one is ONO. She changes shots, she change the mentality of attacking the basket. When Irwin, Molly, Walker tried to stop a drive and score into the basket--USF scored. 1 equals 3. The things ONO does, her presence makes a world of difference.
Walker 24 point, kudo's that's the woman I saw in HS, she rebounds, she assists, she attacks, 3 ball.
Irwin, I'm sorry to say passed bad, made bad decisions, with a mom who coaches??
Molly was best at dribbling, dishing--stay out of the middle of traffic they will stuff you always!!
Coombs, when she shoots accurately she'll be terrific.
CW is CW when you need a score, hand the ball to the kid from Arkansas.
Collier--energizer on steroids who shoot 80 percent, WOW. KLS, great teammate.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Spot on. I will add what Geno said in the post game interview. Lou being out has forced Chrystal, Megan and Olivia to step up their game. This might not have happened if Lou was not hurt. Younger players have a tendency to defer to the older/ senior players, especially if its Lou and Phee. Olivia especially has made a statement that she is a force to be taken seriously.

The evolution over the last week has been a joy to watch.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Surprising Easy Win for the Team. I expected after the last game against USF, they would come out ready to play. They weren't and UConn played one of its best games of the year considering they were without KLS. They ran offense and wasn't taking three point shots early in the possession. They passed the ball looking for easy open shots. Yes, they took a couple of threes early in possessions, but it wasn't like it sometimes happens. Geno has to be extremely happy with today's performance.

I like how Christyn was looking for her shot in the 1st half. There are times she's been a non factor in the 1st half of games. She was also more active on defense. Geno didn't have to take her out of the game to talk to.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
South Florida was an athletically overmatched team today
Phessa continued her overwhelming play...

In the first half Christyn did a lot of what Geno spoke about yesterday...jogging down and stopping at the 3-point line
But in the 2nd half we saw her pull-up, not one, not two, but three times...wowsa...She can score, that young woman.

Reminded me of what happens when you see a freshman do something you never saw before...Was it in the tourney the frosh Moriah showed her move through the paint and in? ...saw it lots of time is her HS vids, but when she did it that one time, it was electrifying...and we saw it lots more the next couple of years...especially that amazing South Carolina game.

Similarly Olivia had a move today that I never saw before...a move I always wanted Kiah to do but hardly ever did...At the high post; turn around and make a strong move to the hoop...Was lovely, wasn't it...and combine that with the outside shot she made and she could be unguardable, next season.

From that perspective along with Walkers strong game and the outstanding, relentless D...This game was a pleasure.

The downer for me was how poorly Kyla is playing....it almost looks like she's given up.

Reaction Score

In the first half Christyn did a lot of what Geno spoke about yesterday...jogging down and stopping at the 3-point line
But in the 2nd half we saw her pull-up, not one, not two, but three times...wowsa...She can score, that young woman.

Reminded me of what happens when you see a freshman do something you never saw before...Was it in the tourney the frosh Moriah showed her move through the paint and in? ...saw it lots of time is her HS vids, but when she did it that one time, it was electrifying...and we saw it lots more the next couple of years...especially that amazing South Carolina game.

Similarly Olivia had a move today that I never saw before...a move I always wanted Kiah to do but hardly ever did...At the high post; turn around and make a strong move to the hoop...Was lovely, wasn't it...and combine that with the outside shot she made and she could be unguardable, next season.

From that perspective along with Walkers strong game and the outstanding, relentless D...This game was a pleasure.

The downer for me was how poorly Kyla is playing....it almost looks like she's given up.
I too thought of Moriah but it was when Molly drove through heavy traffic and got stuffed a couple or 3 times. She can score the 3, she showed that--do what you do best, let the big girls (the 5 plus ONO) enter the basket area to score, you molly rebound, dish it out, start the rotation again. Set up on both sides for the 3, that is Molly's forte. Moriah when she attacked the basket tucked the ball into her belly, ala football, pulled it out and scored no one took it from her.
I commented how disappointed I was in Irwin. She played terribly. The frosh and Sophs made her look really bad for a Junior.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

"The downer for me was how poorly Kyla is playing....it almost looks like she's given up.
"

I don't know whats up with her. I watched her off the ball in the 4th quarter. Really frustrating to watch. It almost looks as if she has regressed. No defense, can't set a screen and some unforced turnovers. She also passed up a couple of shots.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Best defensive effort in a while.

Excellent start for a change.

Phee is a machine!

Liv is growing up!

Squeaks has that great pull-up. Nice repertoire!

Crystal commited petit larceny multiple times.

My fellow Virginian is reprising her high school identity of Megatron.

1552256740931.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Surprising Easy Win for the Team. I expected after the last game against USF, they would come out ready to play. They weren't and UConn played one of its best games of the year considering they were without KLS. They ran offense and wasn't taking three point shots early in the possession. They passed the ball looking for easy open shots. Yes, they took a couple of threes early in possessions, but it wasn't like it sometimes happens. Geno has to be extremely happy with today's performance.

I like how Christyn was looking for her shot in the 1st half. There are times she's been a non factor in the 1st half of games. She was also more active on defense. Geno didn't have to take her out of the game to talk to.

All part of Christyn’s maturation this year.

Reaction Score
Best defensive effort in a while.

Excellent start for a change.

Phee is a machine!

Liv is growing up!

Squeaks has that great pull-up. Nice repertoire!

Crystal commited petit larceny multiple times.

My fellow Virginian is reprising her high school identity of Megatron.

View attachment 40770
Petit Larceny???? That creates giggle time. Amusing, funny, great words toward the ringing Crystal.

Reaction Score
Fun game! Great to see Liv progress and Christyn be more aggressive again.
Neither Molly nor Kyla played well. I wont make any conclusions about them yet. I still have hopes that their decision-making will improve next time.

Reaction Score
Although she didn’t have a game that filled up the stat sheet, I thought ONO was incredibly impressive in this game. She didn’t get every rebound but she did box out and try to get a hand on anything she could. She also was a major deterrent for those trying to enter the lane. Megan Walker had a fantastic game offensively, which will be needed of her. UConn teams perform the best when they have 5 legit scorers on the floor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Although she didn’t have a game that filled up the stat sheet, I thought ONO was incredibly impressive in this game. She didn’t get every rebound but she did box out and try to get a hand on anything she could. She also was a major deterrent for those trying to enter the lane. Megan Walker had a fantastic game offensively, which will be needed of her. UConn teams perform the best when they have 5 legit scorers on the floor.
Agree on Liv’s game. I would also suggest that the two plays that really got me excited, was Liv knocking down a pretty mid-range jumper from 15’, and blowing by her defender for a left-handed layup. She really does have very nice shooting technique, and she can put the ball on the floor as well. As she gains confidence, I expect to see a lot more from Liv on offense.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

I too thought of Moriah but it was when Molly drove through heavy traffic and got stuffed a couple or 3 times. She can score the 3, she showed that--do what you do best, let the big girls (the 5 plus ONO) enter the basket area to score, you molly rebound, dish it out, start the rotation again. Set up on both sides for the 3, that is Molly's forte. Moriah when she attacked the basket tucked the ball into her belly, ala football, pulled it out and scored no one took it from her.
I commented how disappointed I was in Irwin. She played terribly. The frosh and Sophs made her look really bad for a Junior.
I've been concerned abut Kyla as well.

Reaction Score
Agree on Liv’s game. I would also suggest that the two plays that really got me excited, was Liv knocking down a pretty mid-range jumper from 15’, and blowing by her defender for a left-handed layup. She really does have very nice shooting technique, and she can put the ball on the floor as well. As she gains confidence, I expect to see a lot more from Liv on offense.

if you go back and look at her high school videos, ONO can shoot accurately all the way out to the three point line, has a nice mid range game and can handle the ball like a forward................she has really just shown us the tip of the iceberg offensively................I expect Geno will be pushing her to be much more dominant on the scoring end of the court next season..................there's no reason she can't average 12-14 points a game as a sophomore.............

Reaction Score
That blow-by layup seemed right out of Collier’s playbook. Hopefully ONO and/or CW have a freshman Breanna Stewart-esque NCAAT and become the stars they clearly can be.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I agree with all the positive comments and applaud the "awakening" of the two frosh and Megan's recovery of her three-point stroke. A point or two of advice to her: don't be so attentive to the ballhandler that you lose awaremess of your own man and get beat on back-door cuts (at least twice today). Also, instead of dribbling into traffic, do that pull-up for a short jumper, as she did today. She did a good job boxing out and very strong rebounding in traffic as well!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom