USF Postgame Thread [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USF Postgame Thread [merged thread]

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
USF isn't UCF. There was no intent to push or hurt anyone. A bunch of players went up for a rebound and Kyla lost her balance. I feel terrible for her, but let's not imply that her injury was the result of a dirty play.

You can imply whatever you like. The fact is Irwin was pushed from behind.

And UCF isn't dirty. Extremely physical, yes.

Reaction Score
The problem with the NCAA and Mr. Creme is that once you start bringing in subjective criteria, like driving distance to the Regionals, any exclusion of other subjective criteria is, by its very nature, biased and inherently unfair because you are determining that one of these criteria is more important than others. How about we treat the women like athletes for a change and have an actual ranking system that gets translated into NCAA seedings? Here's another subjective criterion-TV audiences. Both the "driving distance' absurd criterion and the TV audience issue is about money. So UCONN in the FF isn't worth more money for TV? NC State is? Aren't there more UCONN fans that will drive to FT. Wayne as opposed to flying to Portland? What will be the first or second most watched game in the tourney? UCONN v. Oregon is my bet and it should be a national semifinal game. Mr. Creme is nothing more than an apologist for a very antiquated and probably sexist way of thinking that goes like this; we have to make sure that the parents and team fans can come because otherwise no one will go to see girls play! I find it to be nauseating and the fact that he would use the driving distance factor as a public justification is mind boggling to me. If you want the women's game to become an institutionalized second part of March Madness that has a much larger audience and following, the NCAA has to start treating it like one.

Reaction Score
She definitely was and the point is that this type of play has been going on for a long time in this conference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kyla’s fall happened 10 rows in front of us. It didn’t look good. I was focused on Aubrey flying by. Then, I heard a thud and the arena went silent.

I hope she’s ok. Please post when you hear credible news.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The problem with the NCAA and Mr. Creme is that once you start bringing in subjective criteria, like driving distance to the Regionals, any exclusion of other subjective criteria is, by its very nature, biased and inherently unfair because you are determining that one of these criteria is more important than others. How about we treat the women like athletes for a change and have an actual ranking system that gets translated into NCAA seedings? Here's another subjective criterion-TV audiences. Both the "driving distance' absurd criterion and the TV audience issue is about money. So UCONN in the FF isn't worth more money for TV? NC State is? Aren't there more UCONN fans that will drive to FT. Wayne as opposed to flying to Portland? What will be the first or second most watched game in the tourney? UCONN v. Oregon is my bet and it should be a national semifinal game. Mr. Creme is nothing more than an apologist for a very antiquated and probably sexist way of thinking that goes like this; we have to make sure that the parents and team fans can come because otherwise no one will go to see girls play! I find it to be nauseating and the fact that he would use the driving distance factor as a public justification is mind boggling to me. If you want the women's game to become an institutionalized second part of March Madness that has a much larger audience and following, the NCAA has to start treating it like one.
The "driving distance" factor is as much a cost-saving issue as an attendance booster. For trips within 350 miles, the NCAA reimburses the schools for bus travel. Longer trips are NCAA-paid air travel. The cost difference is not insignificant.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is not a fact. It looked to me like Kyla was actually trying to tap the ball out by stretching way our with her right arm when, as bschwartz pointed out in his post, she got her legs tangled up with a USF player and fell awkwardly. My suggestion is that we both look at it again on the game replay.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That is not a fact. It looked to me like Kyla was actually trying to tap the ball out by stretching way our with her right arm when, as bschwartz pointed out in his post, she got her legs tangled up with a USF player and fell awkwardly. My suggestion is that we both look at it again on the game replay.

I'm watching it on DVR at the moment. Trust me, it's a fact. I'm not saying there was any intent to injure, but there was extra momentum on her fall from the push.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm watching it on DVR at the moment. Trust me, it's a fact. I'm not saying there was any intent to injure, but there was extra momentum on her fall from the push.
I didn't record the game, but I will certainly look at the replay once it's posted

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Could be the team's first serious injury. Reminded me of the time KML got injured.

I didn't think the shooting efficiency was that bad, although Crystal must be getting impatient (1/7), especially with Molly at 50% on 3s (she probably helped to raise the 3 pt percentage as a whole to a respectable 34% though I didn't do the math). CD did have a couple 3s in the last game, let's not forget. Actually, after Kyla's injury, I was a little surprised the coach put in Crystal again late in the game when earlier in Q4 he was clearly trying to rest her, not to mention the potential risk of injury. Really skating on thin ice now in terms of personnel. Fatigue hurting her long range shooting efficiency?

Fortunately, Megan regained the shooting efficiency that was on hiatus in the previous game, and Christyn dragged herself from under the bus to shoot around 55%, mostly attacking the basket (also resulting in 4/4 FT shooting). Anna seemed to be shooting shy in this game (4 shots in all), but she had the most assists for the team.

Aubrey again was a stand out, though not for rebounding this time, but for scoring, defense, and ... free throws! Very pleasant surprise, though I wouldn't put CW on a leash just yet. Liv's scoring was respectable (and good on FTs too), but my guess is that the combination of Aubrey & Liv's primary contribution may have been in defense, given the smaller USF personnel. (USF's one big was in foul trouble most of the game) Previous game had some complaints about the somewhat lackluster defense. Much better this time around, no?

Not one of USF's better games. Sorry to see the Greek freshman hobbled a bit; she can get hot. Was she CW's assignment?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well what do you know? The score of today’s game is almost identical to Monday’s game. 1 point less for each team. Monday's score was 80-39, today's was 79-38. The same 41 point MOV. How’s that for consistency? And all of that in less than a week. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Could be the team's first serious injury. Reminded me of the time KML got injured.

I didn't think the shooting efficiency was that bad, although Crystal must be getting impatient (1/7), especially with Molly at 50% on 3s (she probably helped to raise the 3 pt percentage as a whole to a respectable 34% though I didn't do the math). CD did have a couple 3s in the last game, let's not forget. Actually, after Kyla's injury, I was a little surprised the coach put in Crystal again late in the game when earlier in Q4 he was clearly trying to rest her, not to mention the potential risk of injury. Really skating on thin ice now in terms of personnel. Fatigue hurting her long range shooting efficiency?

Fortunately, Megan regained the shooting efficiency that was on hiatus in the previous game, and Christyn dragged herself from under the bus to shoot around 55%, mostly attacking the basket (also resulting in 4/4 FT shooting). Anna seemed to be shooting shy in this game (4 shots in all), but she had the most assists for the team.

Aubrey again was a stand out, though not for rebounding this time, but for scoring, defense, and ... free throws! Very pleasant surprise, though I wouldn't put CW on a leash just yet. Liv's scoring was respectable (and good on FTs too), but my guess is that the combination of Aubrey & Liv's primary contribution may have been in defense, given the smaller USF personnel. (USF's one big was in foul trouble most of the game) Previous game had some complaints about the somewhat lackluster defense. Much better this time around, no?

Not one of USF's better games. Sorry to see the Greek freshman hobbled a bit; she can get hot. Was she CW's assignment?

KML was out for 12 games .

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the USF game:
  • The 41 point win was great, but seeing Kyla in pain after her fall, along with her mom in the stands watching, removed much of the enjoyment of today’s game. Hopefully, her injury is not nearly as bad as it looked. If Kyla is out, Evelyn becomes much more important for UConn going forward. Nice to see her get some solid minutes today.
  • UConn’s came out with outstanding energy on defense. Liv and her teammates were incredibly active shutting down everything USF tried to do. The Huskies also moved the ball pretty well offensively, but missed a bundle of open looks throughout the game. I guess when you hold an opponent to 22 points, 15% shooting & 17 turnovers through 3 quarters, it doesn’t really matter how well you shoot the ball.
  • When the Huskies struggle shooting the ball, I wouldn’t mind seeing them attempt to pound the ball inside a little more to Liv. Her post up game continues to get better and better.
  • STOP THE PRESSES. Aubrey knocked down a 15’ jumper. Somewhere, I’m sure Jingo was yelling, “NOW THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT!”
  • When Megan takes off on one of her end-to-end drives, I can almost hear the freight train whistle blowing. Never step on the tracks in front of the oncoming train.
  • Molly's two threes from NBA range were pretty cool.
  • As for ESPN, I could have done with a whole lot less Charlie Crème and a lot more Sue Bird.

That 15' jumper qualifies Aubrey to start games now. :D

Reaction Score
The "driving distance" factor is as much a cost-saving issue as an attendance booster. For trips within 350 miles, the NCAA reimburses the schools for bus travel. Longer trips are NCAA-paid air travel. The cost difference is not insignificant.
[/QUOTE So if you are within 350 miles the NCAA reimburses the schools for whose travel? The teams? Then all the teams should stay in their own geographical region if the factor is so decisive. That is how the men used to be when there were only 24 teams. I would like to know what the differential actually is as paid by the NCAA for bus or air travel and whether there is parity with the men.

Reaction Score
Wishing Kyla the best. Again a good defensive effort with USF helping us quite a bit. Not many looks for Anna today and she got pulled early. Most likely to get Aubrey in the game as Liv and Christyn were playing well. It took Aubrey at least 2 look before she said, what the heck, and buried the 15 footer. Another all around good game. Relax and enjoy. After tomorrow nights game there might not be anymore this year. They may end up canceling the tournament.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
It looked to me like Aubrey flying in for the rebound is the one who caught Klya's arm and knocker her off balance while in the air. I didn't USF touched her. Just a fluke with players going after the ball.

Reaction Score
Wishing Kyla the best. Again a good defensive effort with USF helping us quite a bit. Not many looks for Anna today and she got pulled early. Most likely to get Aubrey in the game as Liv and Christyn were playing well. It took Aubrey at least 2 look before she said, what the heck, and buried the 15 footer. Another all around good game. Relax and enjoy. After tomorrow nights game there might not be anymore this year. They may end up canceling the tournament.
Why would the tournament get canceled?

Carnac

Reaction Score
It looked to me like Aubrey flying in for the rebound is the one who caught Klya's arm and knocker her off balance while in the air. I didn't USF touched her. Just a fluke with players going after the ball.

I'm not a doctor, but that didn't look good. Kayla may be done for the year. She landed hard on her elbow. :(
I hope she's OK, and it looked worse than it was.

Reaction Score
They did seem to pay more attention to her than usual but she sti Ed team in assists and woud have had several more had it not been for godawful shooting. My concern is the 3 pointer she had was contested, roving she can make it, but and she once again she frequently passed up taking the shot herself. Meg scores a
lot partly because she shoots a lot. The problem with the game is UConn barely needed to break a sweat.
If Anna could only make shots while 'curling' around the screen like CD does! She passed a few up there. Maybe she doesn't like the 15' jumpers. UCONN could have easily added 30 more pts. with all those misses. Did anyone hear the announcer mention how much dangerfield has to play in minutes......sometimes 40+ :confused:

Reaction Score
I also thought she got tangled with Audrey going by. But will have to see it in slow motion. And whoever caused it, these things happen. We just have to hope she hit her funny bone, like KML, who was also rolling in agony. But we can't wait for 12 games to recover. Hopefully she can be back in 3 weeks for the sweet sixteen or the elite 8 to help with 5 or 8 minutes of relief for Liv. Would be sad to see such a hard working senior go out this way. Hope it is not broken, but it looked bad. Just keep praying for her.

Reaction Score
No it was a blatant, flagrant push by #22 in the back of Kyla. I watched it 3 times in slow motion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom