USC vs. USC Tonight at 7:00 p.m., EST | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USC vs. USC Tonight at 7:00 p.m., EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I said in my post that Wilson is not a "2" or did you miss that? I said that, IMO, Dawn is letting Wilson play a little 2 as a psychological ploy to show her that she's not a 2 in college ball. Right now, Welch is a better 4 than Wilson. I think Wilson will end up playing mostly 3 this season. Sessions is our PG, though I don't know why she didn't start tonight. I think Cuevas will be the main backup at PG with Mitchell playing mostly 2 and a little PG. Alaina Coates is a beast at the 5. IMO, our best lineup is Sessions at 1, Mitchell at 2, Wilson or maybe Dozier at 3, Welch at 4 and Coates at 5. Tonight, Roy was our best backup at 2. It will be interesting to see the starting lineup against Clemson on Thursday night.

After you said that you explained how Wilson will play 3.75 of the time at the sf. Here is what you said:

I think A'ja will play the 3 75% of the time with the rest split between the 2 and the 4.

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand how you can say she'l split some of her time at the 2.

And so now that Welch is the pf- how much of a height advantage do you have on UCONN? Welch is 6'0. Doesn't the best player in wcbb whom UCONN will be focusing their offense on- now have a decisive height advantage? I mean this is the best player in the game that just doesn't need a guard to feed her in the post. This is a player with 7'2 wingspan.

By the way, who has a better outside shot- Wilson or Welch? And who do you predict will be able to score more easily in the post- Wilson or Welch? And who do you think can become a better offensive rebounder, Wilson or Welch?

You see what you are saying to me- you are saying that Wilson is your best 4 but then you say she'll play the three most of the season yet you go on to say Wilson will play 3.75 of the season at the 3. It doesn't make sense.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
After you said that you explained how Wilson will play 3.75 of the time at the sf. Here is what you said:

I think A'ja will play the 3 75% of the time with the rest split between the 2 and the 4.

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand how you can say she'l split some of her time at the 2.

And so now that Welch is the pf- how much of a height advantage do you have on UCONN? Welch is 6'0. Doesn't the best player in wcbb whom UCONN will be focusing their offense on- now have a decisive height advantage? I mean this is the best player in the game that just doesn't need a guard to feed her in the post. This is a player with 7'2 wingspan.

By the way, who has a better outside shot- Wilson or Welch? And who do you predict will be able to score more easily in the post- Wilson or Welch? And who do you think can become a better offensive rebounder, Wilson or Welch?

You see what you are saying to me- you are saying that Wilson is your best 4 but then you say she'll play the three most of the season yet you go on to say Wilson will play 3.75 of the season at the 3. It doesn't make sense.
If A'ja plays 20 minutes a game and plays the 3 75% of the time that means she may slide over to the 2 or the 4 for a few minutes a game to see how she does. I also stated that Wilson is NOT a 2. I never said Wilson was our best 4, I said she was our likely starter at the 3. Welch is a great athlete and best at the 4, in my opinion. Welch has almost always played the 4. She will also play the 3 a few times. We have a number of versatile players and it will take a few games before a set rotation is in place.

Reaction Score
If A'ja plays 20 minutes a game and plays the 3 75% of the time that means she may slide over to the 2 or the 4 for a few minutes a game to see how she does. I also stated that Wilson is NOT a 2. I never said Wilson was our best 4, I said she was our likely starter at the 3. Welch is a great athlete and best at the 4, in my opinion. Welch has almost always played the 4. She will also play the 3 a few times. We have a number of versatile players and it will take a few games before a set rotation is in place.

I'm sorry I made a typo - you had said Welch is your best 4. Plus I got your post confused. I thoguth you said Welch was your best 3. Mea culpa. Sorry abou that.

But again--

And now that you say Welch is your pf-- again I ask--

how much of a height advantage do you have vs. UCONN? Welch is 6'0. Doesn't the best player in wcbb whom UCONN will be focusing their offense on- now have a decisive height advantage? I mean this is the best player in the game that just doesn't need a guard to feed her in the post. This is a player with 7'2 wingspan. You're going to have a 6'0 player gaurd her yet claim you have a big height advanatge? The msot important player on the floor has the most decisive height advantage for most of the game.

Reaction Score
I got to crash but you are also saying Wilson will play a few minutes at the 2. Why? That was my point. It's crazy. She's no 2.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If that is what Dawn is doing, its a mistake. You have the inmates running the ship. Dawn should make the decision where best to play A'ja based on her currently abilities and tell A'ja why and that's where she played. You don't put players in a position to fail when you know they will. I've read comments attributed to A'ja that she doesn't like contact and that's why she prefers to play on the wing vs front court. She needs to get over that, just like Stewart had to. A'ja best position is the 4, where she can use her mobility and size to best advantage. She'll never be a guard at the next level and if she wants to play at the next level, the time to develop the required skills is in College.

I said in my post that Wilson is not a "2" or did you miss that? I said that, IMO, Dawn is letting Wilson play a little 2 as a psychological ploy to show her that she's not a 2 in college ball. Right now, Welch is a better 4 than Wilson. I think Wilson will end up playing mostly 3 this season. Sessions is our PG, though I don't know why she didn't start tonight. I think Cuevas will be the main backup at PG with Mitchell playing mostly 2 and a little PG. Alaina Coates is a beast at the 5. IMO, our best lineup is Sessions at 1, Mitchell at 2, Wilson or maybe Dozier at 3, Welch at 4 and Coates at 5. Tonight, Roy was our best backup at 2. It will be interesting to see the starting lineup against Clemson on Thursday night.

Reaction Score
Wilson has Parker-like skills but she needs to be playing the 4. As much as she wants to be a 3 I just don't think she is ready to play that position.

Coates is a real talent.

What I didn't understand tonight was how S Car tried to run the offense through the players in the corners. I felt like there was way too much passing going on to and from the corner, which seemed to disrupt S Car's offensive rhythm. With all that height and length the high/low game was not used nearly enough.

I said all along when UConn was still recruiting Wilson that she is a 4 and doesn't have the ball handling skills, quickness, or jump shot to play the 2 or 3.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I didn't say it…the AP did

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Dawn Staley wanted a difficult test to start No. 2 South Carolina's season. Southern Cal gave the Gamecocks one they almost couldn't handle.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
If that is what Dawn is doing, its a mistake. You have the inmates running the ship. Dawn should make the decision where best to play A'ja based on her currently abilities and tell A'ja why and that's where she played. You don't put players in a position to fail when you know they will. I've read comments attributed to A'ja that she doesn't like contact and that's why she prefers to play on the wing vs front court. She needs to get over that, just like Stewart had to. A'ja best position is the 4, where she can use her mobility and size to best advantage. She'll never be a guard at the next level and if she wants to play at the next level, the time to develop the required skills is in College.
That's actually a good point. For reference, Gabby Williams actually played some 1 in college, but at 6', and strong and athletic, Geno seems to feel her best position is the 4/3 so he's running her thru the "post".

Reaction Score
That's actually a good point. For reference, Gabby Williams actually played some 1 in college, but at 6', and strong and athletic, Geno seems to feel her best position is the 4/3 so he's running her thru the "post".

You did mean high school didn't you?;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Staley will surely fit Wilson into a role in which she will be successful. Seeing her grab a rebound and dribble the length of the court was very reminiscent of Candace Parker. At the 5-3 slots USC needs to have Coates (5), Wilson (4) and Welch (3). I think Mitchell needs to be at the PG position and the best three point shooter (Roy?) at the 2. Mitchell needs to have to ball in her hands a lot for USC to be successful when the talent level of the opponent is higher.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
KML's three Mater Dei teammates on that 2011 MNC-winning team are only a combined 5-15 for 13 points.

Love your pithy insights alex. Keep um coming... or em coming (regional thing).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Lastly, I don't think anyone on here is over-reacting. The strongest words I read were that they don't look like a NC challenging team, and that they should drop to #3 behind ND. One reason so many UCONN fans are commenting (IMHO) is that we were inundated with SC fans telling us how fabulous their team would be this season, and that win was anything but fabulous."

That is pretty much it alright. Well said Eric

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"Lastly, I don't think anyone on here is over-reacting. The strongest words I read were that they don't look like a NC challenging team, and that they should drop to #3 behind ND. One reason so many UCONN fans are commenting (IMHO) is that we were inundated with SC fans telling us how fabulous their team would be this season, and that win was anything but fabulous."

That is pretty much it alright. Well said Eric

Two fans = inundated ?? Heavens forbid if 3-4 South Carolina fans started to post on a regular basis ;)

Reaction Score
I will cut Dawn some slack for not having a set lineup but a coach should know by now what their plays can and can't do. Dawn got Wilson more or less on the fact she promised to not play her as a 4 or 5 and she has to stick to that promise or else.

Reaction Score
...and seeing the confidence of Stewie, KML, Mo and comfortable approach of the entire team (even if it is the first game), I can already see it's game over for the NC.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Just to say, yes, Coop might have a better team than folks thought - but folks might have thought they weren't going to be so good 'cause Crook, their "leading returning scorer and the 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Most Outstanding Player. She ranks No. 5 all-time on USC's career three-pointers made list." had been dismissed in Sept.

Reaction Score
Wilson has Parker-like skills but she needs to be playing the 4. As much as she wants to be a 3 I just don't think she is ready to play that position.

Coates is a real talent.

What I didn't understand tonight was how S Car tried to run the offense through the players in the corners. I felt like there was way too much passing going on to and from the corner, which seemed to disrupt S Car's offensive rhythm. With all that height and length the high/low game was not used nearly enough.
I agree, Stewie has Parker like skills also, but understands she needs to play the 4 or 5, because of her size, and ability. A'ja needs to come to that realization, and then she will progress to being a better player.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Two fans = inundated ?? Heavens forbid if 3-4 South Carolina fans started to post on a regular basis ;)

2 unrelenting can be a flood...or seems like it when this refrain pops up in every thread on the Boneyard remotely related to basketball!!! :mad: O'kay, that could be a little hyperbolic ;) but yeah old foggybottom can get a little bombastic in making a point again and again. And apparently at least 2 of us on the Boneyard agree about that while being entirely welcoming of other team's fans and the news and perspectives they bring to our table. In that regard, it appears that among southeast schools Duke is not alone in graduating good waiters who attentively bring good things to the Boneyard feast. :p

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Apparently, none of the USC coaches has found the courage to tell her that.

Anyone with any basketball acumen could look at her high school tapes after she shot up that 4 inches that she could not be a ball handler guard in college. If Dawn promised her something and is compromising the integration and development of the team so that Wilson does not become her Deschields, then shame on you and you will rue the day (if you already don't).

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I got to crash but you are also saying Wilson will play a few minutes at the 2. Why? That was my point. It's crazy. She's no 2.

I think she will play a few minutes at the 2 as a lesson for her that she is not a 2. Psychology. Then she can give up her idea that she's a 2 and just concentrate on the 3 and 4 positions. I know she's not a 2 and Dawn knows she's not a 2, but A'ja needs to understand that she's not a 2, so she can get it out of her thought process. Dawn pretty much said as much in her press conference last night. Maybe A'ja *thinks* she can be Magic Johnson.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think she will play a few minutes at the 2 as a lesson for her that she is not a 2. Psychology. Then she can give up her idea that she's a 2 and just concentrate on the 3 and 4 positions. I know she's not a 2 and Dawn knows she's not a 2, but A'ja needs to understand that she's not a 2, so she can get it out of her thought process. Dawn pretty much said as much in her press conference last night. Maybe A'ja *thinks* she can be Magic Johnson.

How about Staley just saying "you are not a 2, now get out there and play the 4." If she cannot accept that advice from her coach I am not sure how coachable she is.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
This season, A'ja can best help her team at the 3. Welch is a very good and very athletic 4 who plays taller than her 6' height indicates. Next season we'll probably need Wilson to play more 4 to help the team after Welch graduates. Wilson only played a few minutes at the 2 last night. She spent most of the game at the 3 and it's not like our freshmen even played that much, including Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom