USC-UNC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

USC-UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Louisville did not deserve a #1 seed. Their best win of the year was over LSU. I would have given them a 2 instead of a 3, but they were going to host that game no matter what.

There is certainly an argument to be made for Stanford getting the last #1 seed, but once again, they were going to play at home regardless.

Baylor actually has a very good case for a #1 seed, but they were a strong #2. I probably would have put them in the Louisville bracket instead of the Notre Dame, but i'm splitting hairs there.

Also, just because a #1 seed loses doesn't mean the tournament committee didn't do their job. Upsets happen, and you rarely see an all #1 seed final four.
No, when two #1 seeds fly off before the Elite 8, that means the selection committee did a rotten job in in WCBB. Remember this is not MCBB. After two straight years of picking #1 teams that got to the Elite 8 in 2011 and 2012, the committee has now gone two years with only two there. Last year might have been more understandable, but this year the worshiping of the SEC got way out of hand, unless you're a vocal guy. Maybe better luck next year.

Reaction Score
Thanks for that research. Now ... how many of those previous 27 loses came in the same year as another one. It is rare enough 27 teams in 31 years but a few of those must have overlapped. My guess, maybe 3 or 4 times, so this year would definitely stand out as exceptional for the committee.

You are one demanding client:eek:.
1982 - #1 Old Dominion lost to #4 Kansas State in the third round(Kansas State would then lose to Cheyney State 93-71).
#1 Long Beach State lost to #4 Drake

1986 - #1 Virginia(the year after they lost their dynamic assistant coach) lost to #8 James Madison in the second round
#1 Georgia lost to #4 Tennessee in the third round

1992 - #1 Tennessee lost to #4 Western Kentucky in the third round
#1 Iowa lost to #8 Southwest Missouri State in the second round

1998 - #1 Old Dominion lost to #4 North Carolina State in the third round
#1 Texas Tech lost to #9 Notre Dame in the second round
#1 Stanford lost to #16 Harvard in the first round

2001 - #1 Tennessee lost to #4 Xavier in the third round
#1 Duke lost to #5Southwest Missouri State(Jackie Stiles) in the third round

2010 - #1 Tennessee lost to #4 Baylor in the third round
#1 Nebraska lost to #4 Kentucky in the third round

2013 - #1 Baylor lost to #5 Louisville in the third round
#1 Stanford lost to #4 Georgia in the third round

2014 - #1 South Carolina lost to #4 North Carolina in the third round
#1 Tennessee lost to #4 Maryland in the third round
(you asked of the previous 27, but this year is thrown in for good measure)

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You are one demanding client:eek:.
1982 - #1 Old Dominion lost to #4 Kansas State in the third round(Kansas State would then lose to Cheyney State 93-71).
#1 Long Beach State lost to #4 Drake

1986 - #1 Virginia(the year after they lost their dynamic assistant coach) lost to #8 James Madison in the second round
#1 Georgia lost to #4 Tennessee in the third round

1992 - #1 Tennessee lost to #4 Western Kentucky in the third round
#1 Iowa lost to #8 Southwest Missouri State in the second round

1998 - #1 Old Dominion lost to #4 North Carolina State in the third round
#1 Texas Tech lost to #9 Notre Dame in the second round
#1 Stanford lost to #16 Harvard in the first round

2001 - #1 Tennessee lost to #4 Xavier in the third round
#1 Duke lost to #5Southwest Missouri State(Jackie Stiles) in the third round

2010 - #1 Tennessee lost to #4 Baylor in the third round
#1 Nebraska lost to #4 Kentucky in the third round

2013 - #1 Baylor lost to #5 Louisville in the third round
#1 Stanford lost to #4 Georgia in the third round

2014 - #1 South Carolina lost to #4 North Carolina in the third round
#1 Tennessee lost to #4 Maryland in the third round
(you asked of the previous 27, but this year is thrown in for good measure)
You are the best! (And I sure am lazy!)
So three out of the last 5 years, though I might give them a pass on last year because no one saw the Baylor loss coming. Either parity really is showing up (meh) or the committee is on a bit of a losing streak.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
North Carolina's unbelievable raw talent is very very dangerous!!!! If DD is healthy they can beat Stanford- Mavunga has become a real force. They can make some plays!

let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Those two and the rather poor team in orange that lost earlier today are our competition for A'ja Wilson. Can you believe it? :)
Well on the other hand, if Ms Wilson wants to "help" at team, they surely need the help.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
She's obviously doing something right- program improving by the day. And they seamed to have all the tools and more solid recruits coming in!

Reaction Score
This was NYC play ground basketball! There was no pattern to the game! SoCar missed 11 easy layups in the first 1/2 alone! If they just hit 8 of the 11 they'd have won by 6! There was NO coaching in this game by either team, and if there was a hint of coaching it was questionable at best. I still think that NoCar will be the most talented, athletic team to not make a FF! If they do squeeze in, UCONN will win by at least 30 pts.! Stanford should kick their butts even though SoCar is more athletic! Tara would out-coach Andrew Calder/Sylvia Hatchell! No wonder Calder's been with Hatchell 28+ years, They're both clueless!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This was NYC play ground basketball! There was no pattern to the game! SoCar missed 11 easy layups in the first 1/2 alone! If they just hit 8 of the 11 they'd have won by 6! There was NO coaching in this game by either team, and if there was a hint of coaching it was questionable at best. I still think that NoCar will be the most talented, athletic team to not make a FF! If they do squeeze in, UCONN will win by at least 30 pts.! Stanford should kick their butts even though SoCar is more athletic! Tara would out-coach Andrew Calder/Sylvia Hatchell! No wonder Calder's been with Hatchell 28+ years, They're both clueless!
But according to the interim coach NC runs the 'Princeton Offense' - I think he was referring to Princeton, MN where an unnamed HS coach developed a free lance kind of offense, because it certainly didn't resemble anything Pete Carril perfected in Princeton, NJ. (I used to love the groans coming from top seeded teams when the brackets were announced and they realized their first round game would be against Princeton - less fun playing that coach's teams than having all your teeth pulled.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Are you suggesting a more organized version of playground basketball is played outside NYC? That all playground ball in NYC lacks pattern and should be dismissed?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
David Cloninger ‏@DCTheState 11h
Staley: "This is probably going to be the last time you’re going to see a SC women’s basketball team exit at this stage ..."

If taken from her post-game presser, it's not exactly what Staley said. As I heard it she said "this probably won't be the last time you're going to see a South Carolina women's basketball team at this late stage of the NCAA tournament...," which is slightly different. Still, I like her positive attitude. I also like that she said she wants her players to feel the disappointment but to go home and watch the rest of the tournament.

Dawn needs to work on the offense in the off-season.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
If taken from her post-game presser, it's not exactly what Staley said. As I heard it she said "this probably won't be the last time you're going to see a South Carolina women's basketball team at this late stage of the NCAA tournament...," which is slightly different. Still, I like her positive attitude. I also like that she said she wants her players to feel the disappointment but to go home and watch the rest of the tournament.

Dawn needs to work on the offense in the off-season.

And how to say clear of the inbounds pass with her paperwork :)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
All right; you guys have had plenty of fun at the Gamecocks' expense. I was surprised we got a 1 seed this year, but other than UCONN and ND, there weren't any clear cut number 1 seeds this season. The Gamecocks don't lose anyone of note and have a top 5 class coming in, so we'll be able to see where we are when we play UCONN the next 2 seasons. Do you guys know if we play in Storrs or Columbia next season?

Reaction Score
VAUConnFan- - Not at all! NYC street ball is about breaking it down to the individual showing his "credentials"! Some of the best talent in the world come to NYC to show his or her game! But it's about the individual not a team thing! And that is what SoCar & NoCar broke down to, 10 individuals showing off their game! Whatever coaching was done was questionable at best! That's why I feel Stanford tho not as athletic as NoCar will win tonight because Tara will out coach Dawn! Both North C and South C are very undisciplined teams, and teams that come out of the NCAA's with the NC are disciplined, prepared & well-coached!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All right; you guys have had plenty of fun at the Gameroosters' expense. I was surprised we got a 1 seed this year, but other than UCONN and ND, there weren't any clear cut number 1 seeds this season. The Gameroosters don't lose anyone of note and have a top 5 class coming in, so we'll be able to see where we are when we play UCONN the next 2 seasons. Do you guys know if we play in Storrs or Columbia next season?
I think it is in Columbia -
You guys have a bright future. I think SC gets caught up in our general feeling that the SEC is given to much credit for knowing how to game the RPI. To have poster coming here and touting 13 out of 14 teams in the SEC finished the season with 19+ wins as if this proves that the lower half of the SEC isn't just as weak as most conferences is to ignore the kind of OOCs that those teams played - and even the top half (including SC - more excusable because of the youth and Dawn is upgrading I think next year) had some very questionable OOCs - did Georgia actually play outside their state prior to the conference schedule for example?
The SEC got two #1 seeds this year that didn't really pass the smell test when put up against Stanford, Baylor, and to a lesser extent WV, Louisville, and Duke - if you say RPI is king then Duke and Stanford deserved the #1s (based on the NCAAs published RPI numbers), if you say lets actually look at the teams, then Stanford, Baylor, WV, and Louisville deserved consideration.
That doesn't mean that SC and TN weren't good teams and deserving of high seeds, nor is it specifically the fault of either school as they didn't have a say in the selection. But it does rub non-SEC fans a little wrong.
Anyway - looking forward to the home and home. Should be good for both programs.

Reaction Score
VAUConnFan- - Not at all! NYC street ball is about breaking it down to the individual showing his "credentials"! Some of the best talent in the world come to NYC to show his or her game! But it's about the individual not a team thing! And that is what SoCar & NoCar broke down to, 10 individuals showing off their game! Whatever coaching was done was questionable at best! That's why I feel Stanford tho not as athletic as NoCar will win tonight because Tara will out coach Dawn! Both North C and South C are very undisciplined teams, and teams that come out of the NCAA's with the NC are disciplined, prepared & well-coached!

I am sure that is your perspective/opinion and will let it go at that. For all I know, you might be from New York and have first hand Knowledge and experience.

At some point, I am going to have to ask for definitions of a disciplined basketball team, and for definitions of an undisciplined team.

Are you also suggesting that South Carolina and North Carolina are merely talented? That they are getting by on sheer talent?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I am sure that is your perspective/opinion and will let it go at that. For all I know, you might be from New York and have first hand Knowledge and experience.

At some point, I am going to have to ask for definitions of a disciplined basketball team, and for definitions of an undisciplined team.

Are you also suggesting that South Carolina and North Carolina are merely talented? That they are getting by on sheer talent?
Actually, if you go by recruiting rankings, USC is not nearly as talented as UNC, Tennessee or even Kentucky, for that matter. That is beginning to change and will take a big leap next season. Of course, I believe team chemistry is just as important as talent. If you have 10 McDonald's All-Americans on your team and some don't get much playing time, there is bound to be some jealousy and chemistry issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom