USC-UNC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USC-UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Only saw the last 6 minutes, but it appeared to be a struggle of two rather poor teams.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Only saw the last 6 minutes, but it appeared to be a struggle of two rather poor teams.
Those two and the rather poor team in orange that lost earlier today are our competition for A'ja Wilson. Can you believe it? :)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Less- E-C took a big hit, losing four of five yesterday and today (Tenn, USC, Kentucky, and LSU all lost while A&M advanced). I care less about that than I do uconn advancing to the Final Four, but it would be sweet to see uconn advance and finish off that conference.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
North Carolina's unbelievable raw talent is very very dangerous!!!! If DD is healthy they can beat Stanford- Mavunga has become a real force. They can make some plays!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
North Carolina's unbelievable raw talent is very very dangerous!!!! If DD is healthy they can beat Stanford- Mavunga has become a real force. They can make some plays!

That was a win win game for me. Either UNC was gonna lose.... or the Almighty SEC would lose its final shot at a Final 4 berth. I picked UNC to advance to the final 4, but I'll be pulling for Stanford to wear them out.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If what I saw tonight was typical, I think Stanford will give them what Paddy gave the drum, as me sainted grandmother used to say.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
If what I saw tonight was typical, I think Stanford will give them what Paddy gave the drum, as me sainted grandmother used to say.
U think Stanford will give them a beaten? I don't. I'll be very very surprised if it isn't down to the wire. NC is a wild card-

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, any historian out there want to tell me how often two #1 seeds have lost before the elite eight in NCAA tournament history?
At least they didn't have to play on an opponents home courts as a one seed so I guess they were lucky right?:confused:
And ... how fortunate they decided to recruit T A&M into the SEC or their blushes would be brighter. Saved by their 3 seed.

Finally ... can someone please put a lead weight on the RPI and throw into the ocean. Time for the committee to pay a little more attention to who a team loses to and not just who they play when looking at one seeds - and not the brain dead idea of 'outside the RPI top 50' - we are talking #1 seeds, any loss outside the top 6 RANKED teams is questionable and a loss outside the top 10 is BAD if you are supposed to be one of the top four teams in the country.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
U think Stanford will give them a beaten? I don't. I'll be very very surprised if it isn't down to the wire. NC is a wild card-
Well I am not sure the UNC strategy of guarding only three Carolina players on each possession is going to work very well against Stanford.

Sorry, but I do not see the 'Dawn is a genius' thing - only really watched this and the other UNC loss, but ... not sure the offense is all that strong - lot of free lancing and one-on-one. No question she has put Carolina on the map and is getting good players to commit, and she did well at Temple previously, but her offense put up 58 points on a team that averages allowing 65.8 ppg and ranked somewhere around 135th in the country And a team known for playing really up tempo so they probably got more offensive chances than they normally would in a 40 minute game.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Dawn really played/ coached the end of that game a little strange I thought. Deb Antonelli and the male announcer were trying to figure the logic also. She doesn't seam to coach much during the game. And I can't believe she/So Car didn't lose posession when Dawn deflected their own in bounds from the side line. How 3 refs Gould miss it when her paperwork deflected into the court also from her hand - I can't believe it!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The NCAA, did a terrible job, selecting South Carolina as a number one seed. Why? They had Louisville, Maryland or Stanford.... And selecting Tennessee was a a try to get them back to the final four and create interest.....
Yup - don't think I can remember two weaker #1 seeds. There is usually a little question about the fourth #1 with maybe a 'pick em' between two teams, but these two just seemed way out of character - head to head Stanford beat TN and you can say that Stanford had two bad losses, but what do you call losing to LSU and Vandy at home to go along with a very average KY team.
Baylor Louisville and Stanford all in my mind had better credentials - Maryland not so much.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dawn really played/ coached the end of that game a little strange I thought. Deb Antonelli and the male announcer were trying to figure the logic also. She doesn't seam to coach much during the game. And I can't believe she/So Car didn't lose posession when Dawn deflected their own in bounds from the side line. How 3 refs Gould miss it when her paperwork deflected into the court also from her hand - I can't believe it!
Yeah - that was really bizarre and I wonder if it isn't actually considered a technical foul - interfering with a live play in the court of play by a coach or bench player should be. If not, it should at least have been a turnover. I have no idea what the refs were watching, or why it would not be a play worthy of video review.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Killed my bracket, and I can't abide UNC...but I'm glad SC looked bad. The worse they look the better I like it.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Louisville did not deserve a #1 seed. Their best win of the year was over LSU. I would have given them a 2 instead of a 3, but they were going to host that game no matter what.

There is certainly an argument to be made for Stanford getting the last #1 seed, but once again, they were going to play at home regardless.

Baylor actually has a very good case for a #1 seed, but they were a strong #2. I probably would have put them in the Louisville bracket instead of the Notre Dame, but i'm splitting hairs there.

Also, just because a #1 seed loses doesn't mean the tournament committee didn't do their job. Upsets happen, and you rarely see an all #1 seed final four.

Reaction Score
I had 7 out of the 8 elite 8 correct. Do not know why I picked Penn State over Stanford.. especially since it is at Stanford...

What was I thinking?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had 7 out of the 8 elite 8 correct. Do not know why I picked Penn State over Stanford.. especially since it is at Stanford...

What was I thinking?

Dunno what you were thinking on that one either.

I also had 7 of the 8 correct.... you can imagine the one I missed :oops:

Reaction Score
I didn't get that fouling bit either. There was plenty of time left in a one possession game.

that was one of the dumbest moves I have seen in a long time.

Ugly game, thank god for DVRs, it took an hour or so to watch

Reaction Score
Well, any historian out there want to tell me how often two #1 seeds have lost before the elite eight in NCAA tournament history?

With today's two losses, #1 seeds have lost 29 times prior to the elite Eight game.
1 first round Loss
6 second round losses
22 third round losses

UConn's only loss as a #1 seed prior to the fourth round came in 1999 with their third round loss to #4 Iowa state.
Stanford is the only #1 seed to lose in the first round(Harvard 1998)

Tennessee - 5
Duke - 3
Texas - 2
Stanford - 3
Old Dominion - 2

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Yeah - that was really bizarre and I wonder if it isn't actually considered a technical foul - interfering with a live play in the court of play by a coach or bench player should be. If not, it should at least have been a turnover. I have no idea what the refs were watching, or why it would not be a play worthy of video review.
I think it is just an out of bounds- but u know what - u may be right about a T!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
that was one of the dumbest moves I have seen in a long time.

Ugly game, thank god for DVRs, it took an hour or so to watch
That's how I watched too- zipping thru coml's and half time and fouls!!! :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Louisville did not deserve a #1 seed. Their best win of the year was over LSU. I would have given them a 2 instead of a 3, but they were going to host that game no matter what.

There is certainly an argument to be made for Stanford getting the last #1 seed, but once again, they were going to play at home regardless.

Baylor actually has a very good case for a #1 seed, but they were a strong #2. I probably would have put them in the Louisville bracket instead of the Notre Dame, but i'm splitting hairs there.

Also, just because a #1 seed loses doesn't mean the tournament committee didn't do their job. Upsets happen, and you rarely see an all #1 seed final four.
But you seldom see #1 seeds going down in the sweet sixteen. Last year Baylor as a 1 seed lost to a 5 seed Louisville and it was 'the biggest upset in tournament history'. This year Tennessee and South Carolina both lose to #4 seeds and no one, and I mean no one is surprised except those people that actually believe RPI means anything and that the SEC is THE power conference. And Baylor and Stanford beat up on three seeds, and Louisville crush an inferior 7 seed.
I didn't see either of these games as an upset at all - these were good teams not great that got beaten by better teams - UNC is 2-0 against SC this year now. And I would expect MD to win 2 out of 3 against TN. With both KY and SC likely dropping out of the top ten in the post tournament polls, TN will maintain their streak of being 0- three (four? five?) years against top ten teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With today's two losses, #1 seeds have lost 29 times prior to the elite Eight game.
1 first round Loss
6 second round losses
22 third round losses

UConn's only loss as a #1 seed prior to the fourth round came in 1999 with their third round loss to #4 Iowa state.
Stanford is the only #1 seed to lose in the first round(Harvard 1998)

Tennessee - 5
Duke - 3
Texas - 2
Stanford - 3
Old Dominion - 2
Thanks for that research. Now ... how many of those previous 27 loses came in the same year as another one. It is rare enough 27 teams in 31 years but a few of those must have overlapped. My guess, maybe 3 or 4 times, so this year would definitely stand out as exceptional for the committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom