USC announces 4 year scholarships | The Boneyard

USC announces 4 year scholarships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Would love to see this policy adopted college wide. Make those dopes in the SEC and places who admit anyone (ex - Louisville) be saddled for 4 years if they offer a low character kid who gets arrested in his first month on campus.

Reaction Score
Would love to see this policy adopted college wide. Make those dopes in the SEC and places who admit anyone (ex - Louisville) be saddled for 4 years if they offer a low character kid who gets arrested in his first month on campus.
I am sure there will be behavioral out clauses, flunking out and transfer clauses for the school as well as leaving to turn pro out clauses. Otherwise schools would be saddled with way too many scholarship obligations than bodies.This would include Uconn men's BB in the past. What this is probably intended to protect are those that get injured but remain in solid academic standing getting their degrees on a free ride instead of getting bounced when they get hurt. And there are schools that have do that. My guess is that USC is formalizing what they have practiced in the past.

Reaction Score
I am sure there will be behavioral out clauses, flunking out and transfer clauses for the school as well as leaving to turn pro out clauses. Otherwise schools would be saddled with way too many scholarship obligations than bodies.This would include Uconn men's BB in the past. What this is probably intended to protect are those that get injured but remain in solid academic standing getting their degrees on a free ride instead of getting bounced when they get hurt. And there are schools that have do that. My guess is that USC is formalizing what they have practiced in the past.

I find this very confusing. Many if not most schools with substantial endowment funds have provided scholarships for injured athletes in the past. I always assumed USC was one of them. The scholarships are not as generous as athletic scholarships since they take into account the ability of the former athlete's family to contribute. For the most part they cover tuition, and basic room & board but pay no stipends of any type. If this means that USC is going to count these toward their NCAA allowed scholarships I can't understand why they would.

Reaction Score
I am in favor of four year scholarships being made mandatory, along with the official prohibition of such things as "greyshirting".

Reaction Score
I am in favor of four year scholarships being made mandatory, along with the official prohibition of such things as "greyshirting".
I think this effects BB more than FB. A lot of schools encourage transfers of end of the bench/under-performers to open up scholarships. It would not surprise me that some of these are being told feel free to stay but you are now a walk on and not on scholarship.

But, if this is a guaranteed 4 year scholarship instead of 1 year renewable, how do you manage the go pro early guys? Or the guys that are social and academic issues that should be kicked out of school and lose a scholarship? You have to keep them on a scholarship that counts towards your limit? Poorly thought out press release that may come back to bite them if they bounce a kid for legitimate reasons.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Banning greyshirting I'd even put above 4 year scholarships.

Reaction Score
Sack said the money for increased insurance coverage for athletes at all levels can be derived from a Division I-A college football national championship, shifting revenue away from the BCS model.

Bingo! I've been saying this also. The BBall tournament money gets shared, FB playoff is going to be horded. If they really wanted to help more student athletes, the P5 would be looking to share that windfall of money rather than use it for "competitive advantages.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It is all about competitive advantage.

Four-year scholarships are nice, but if it's widely-adopted or mandated, you can start a countdown to the date when the P5 starts agitating for more than 85 scholarships.

Reaction Score
It is all about competitive advantage.

Four-year scholarships are nice, but if it's widely-adopted or mandated, you can start a countdown to the date when the P5 starts agitating for more than 85 scholarships.

It is so clear the path is being created for a split from the NCAA. I really wonder if what the P5 is trying to do, is break away if the NCAA loses the Obannon lawsuit and say, hey were no longer part of the NCAA so that is their problem and were starting fresh from here. Delany sounded less than pleased when he said there were 181 D 1 schools when he played compared to the 364 or so there are now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think the P5 is making hay while the sun shines.

They finally managed to knock the Big East off of the BCS teat. They've taken all of the worthwhile bowls and the playoffs. They just closed a round of huge paydays and they've got the gift of having an incredibly weak NCAA leader.

So, they'll get the ability to write their own rules now and lay the groundwork for ultimately taking what they haven't already taken.

Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe...the P5 is just another mirror of our times...

The rich are getting richer, the middle class is dwindling....and the guys in charge seem to make policy as directed by those who have the money.

Politics just has a less interesting bowl season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom