USC #1 & #2 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

USC #1 & #2

Reaction Score
To both @hoophuskee and @visitingcock I say Watkins will be very good next season. But she won’t be able simply to fill the hole left by Kamila. Can Walker and Tac help? Sure but they are not enough to face someone like Betts or Lee. Neither are Feagins Kitts or Edward’s. I think Watkins can lead a frontcourt that can handle the superbigs. This will require some retooling of the defense by Dawn to prevent entry passes to the post. I’m sure Dawn knows how to teach this. The team will look a bit different than the past two seasons. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

In effect, SC will look like what UConn might have looked like without all the injuries: a lot of medium bigs who rely on speed and finesse, and a cadre of perimeter shooters. Watkins will have to play the game Aaliyah Edwards did, a player she resembles in some ways. Not quite a comparable midrange shooter yet, but a little more athletic. Joyce doesn’t bring much beyond what Watkins already does, but she’ll bring some effective rotation relief.

I expect to see a lot more of Tessa, as I’ve said elsewhere. This could mean that Kitts gives up some minutes to her. Tessa is not as long, but she’s also not a quick guard. Her natural position looks like wing to me. Chloe can play the 4, as she’s already shown. But I’m not sure how much Dawn will want to use her there. Which means she may be competing for minutes with Tessa and Bree.
center possibilities…..Feagin 6’3”; Tac 6’5”; Dauda 6’4”; Walker 6’5”…….we’re okay

Throw in forwards like Kitts/Watkins/Edwards/Hall…….plenty of height, quickness, skill, and bulk.

Guards: Paopao, R. Johnson, Fulwiley, T. Johnson, McDaniel….no team has better overall depth. Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson proved how valuable that depth is. No team in the country has better overall three-point shooting from so many people. I’m not talking one person, I’m talking about eight or nine players who can take over a game on any given night. We don’t need Caitlin Clark to score 50 points to win a game.

Reaction Score
That's not actually true.

USC opened in 1880.

S. Carolina opened as S. Carolina College (SCC) in 1801. Then it went back and forth between SCC and University of S. Carolina a few times with a SCC of A&M thrown in there for a couple years. Finally in 1906 if settled on University of S. Carolina and stayed that way. 26 years after USC.

Besides, we are talking about sports here, and in sports USC is, has been, and always will be USC.

Google USC and see what comes up first. And what's USC's web name? www.usc.edu. (or for sports usctrojans.com) What's S. Carolina's? www.sc.edu. (or for sports gamecocksonline.com)

So you Gamecocks can just shut the front door about ever being USC. You're not.
Ahhh…google it. We used to teach our agents how to come up first in Google when someone was searching for insurance in a given area. There’s also services you can use/pay. Never forget Google is there to make money. I know everyone is giddy over AI, but until Siri can pronounce Richard as something other than “Ricard”……I will refrain from trusting every thing I read on the internet as fact. But whatever works for you.

Personally, it’s not something I think about too often. And I know many people in California who refer to Southern Cal as SC, not US C, so I guess it’s personal preference.

Reaction Score
Ahhh…google it. We used to teach our agents how to come up first in Google when someone was searching for insurance in a given area. There’s also services you can use/pay. Never forget Google is there to make money. I know everyone is giddy over AI, but until Siri can pronounce Richard as something other than “Ricard”……I will refrain from trusting every thing I read on the internet as fact. But whatever works for you.

Personally, it’s not something I think about too often. And I know many people in California who refer to Southern Cal as SC, not US C, so I guess it’s personal preference.
SoCal also

Reaction Score

Who cares about s a defunct Pac12 team anyway? Lol

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Yeah, the Google part was one small sentence. True though. As was everything else. Notice you didn't have anything to say about that.

On a Gamecock message board you can call S. Carolina whatever you want. For the rest of the world, USC is USC.

200w.gif

Reaction Score
Yeah, the Google part was one small sentence. True though. As was everything else. Notice you didn't have anything to say about that.

On a Gamecock message board you can call S. Carolina whatever you want. For the rest of the world, USC is USC.

200w.gif
Eh, I would say the USC context goes beyond the borders of South Carolina. USC is commonly used by our conference rivals, so I think USC = South Carolina for the majority in the Southeast US.

This makes me wonder how the SEC will handle UT with the inclusion of Texas since most SEC fans call Tennessee UT. :confused:

Reaction Score
ND actually had the highest rated big in this years freshman class in Kate Koval. Yes they could use depth up front, but the guards are going to be must watch TV.
I guess you don't count 6-3 players like Strong and Edwards as "bigs."

I'll say that Koval is the best post/center prospect.

Reaction Score

200w.gif
Sorry. They are U$C to every other school in California.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree that generally, umber one stays number one until beaten. There can be exceptions such as a team that loses five starters, but generally that should be the rule.
This. It's South Carolina until someone else shows that it isn't.

I will say that last year the Connecticut men's team was coming off a national championship and wasn't ranked number one. This year Connecticut is coming off back to back national championships with every postseason win coming by double digits, and it's still not ranked number one for the upcoming season. I'm fine with it because it worked out pretty well for us last year.

Reaction Score
center possibilities…..Feagin 6’3”; Tac 6’5”; Dauda 6’4”; Walker 6’5”…….we’re okay

Throw in forwards like Kitts/Watkins/Edwards/Hall…….plenty of height, quickness, skill, and bulk.

Guards: Paopao, R. Johnson, Fulwiley, T. Johnson, McDaniel….no team has better overall depth. Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson proved how valuable that depth is. No team in the country has better overall three-point shooting from so many people. I’m not talking one person, I’m talking about eight or nine players who can take over a game on any given night. We don’t need Caitlin Clark to score 50 points to win a game.
Your team is more than just okay - I know you meant it in a fun response way. Anyhow, You're going to be able to play in a near-similar way you have done these past few years. You won't have the super center all-American at center, but your team is loaded with terrific a/a candidates at other spots. And you're loaded with experience; Loaded with it.

However, your 3pt shooting has benefited a great deal because of Boston and Cardoso overall. Three of the other top teams from last year - (excluding Iowa) of UCONN, SoCal, and NC State- the % of 3's your team takes per games vs total shots is approx. 25%. While the 3 teams aforementioned take 30% to 35%. On the flip side two of the teams UCONN and NC State that played 39 and 38 games vs your team that played 38- took 150-175 shots less during the season than your team. Thus, your team is probably taking more open 3's and your inside devastation is highlighted by your previous superstars (note I said highlighted- not "only because of. . .").

I expect your 3pt shooting to still be very good because your inside game will still remain very good if not much more. I'm a fan of Edwards, I think she naturally fits playing both SF and PF for your team. And I find it hard to believe that not at least one SoCar players will emerge as being recognized of a top 12 National Level type of player. Bottomline is that your team is a beast. Though there are other beasts too.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

200w.gif
If my last name is Jones and I want to pronounce it "Jon-ez" then, by golly, that's how my name is pronounced. There are multiple USCs, OSUs, UCs, etc. Period.

Reaction Score
I agree that generally, umber one stays number one until beaten. There can be exceptions such as a team that loses five starters, but generally that should be the rule.
Each year is a separate event and should be judged on it's own. I also don't believe in "defending a title", there's nothing to defend. No one is going to come and take the previous year's trophy trophy back. While I'm on it, winning the tournament is just that. The NCAA Tournament winner isn't necessarily the best team in the country, they are the NCAA Tournament champs. Golf clubs run a "Club Championship" tournament every year. The winner is called the club champ but not necessarily the No 1 golfer at the club. Single elimination tournaments are notoriously bad ways to determine who is best in many sports.

I'd make SCar No 1 going into the 2025 season because I think they are best right now, not what they did last year.

Reaction Score
Each year is a separate event and should be judged on it's own. I also don't believe in "defending a title", there's nothing to defend. No one is going to come and take the previous year's trophy trophy back. While I'm on it, winning the tournament is just that. The NCAA Tournament winner isn't necessarily the best team in the country, they are the NCAA Tournament champs. Golf clubs run a "Club Championship" tournament every year. The winner is called the club champ but not necessarily the No 1 golfer at the club. Single elimination tournaments are notoriously bad ways to determine who is best in many sports.

I'd make SCar No 1 going into the 2025 season because I think they are best right now, not what they did last year.
You (and I)have no clue who the best team is before any teams have played before any games have been played. We can only guess. All we know is that one and only one of the top teams has a winning streak alive. In the preseason - Until they are beaten, the champ is the only team that deserves anything. When the champ loses, polls can drop them

Reaction Score
You (and I)have no clue who the best team is before any teams have played before any games have been played. We can only guess. All we know is that one and only one of the top teams has a winning streak alive. In the preseason - Until they are beaten, the champ is the only team that deserves anything. When the champ loses, polls can drop them

The current champ is champ for the 2024 season. 2025 is not 2024. Case closed. This isn't a monarchy where the king remains king until he dies/loses a game. The 2024 season ended at the title game. The book is closed on 2024.
In 2017, after winning titles in 2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016, UConn was preseason No 3, right in front of SCar. UConn ended the 2017 season undefeated and No 1 in the country on the AP poll.

Reaction Score
That's not actually true.

USC opened in 1880.

S. Carolina opened as S. Carolina College (SCC) in 1801. Then it went back and forth between SCC and University of S. Carolina a few times with a SCC of A&M thrown in there for a couple years. Finally in 1906 if settled on University of S. Carolina and stayed that way. 26 years after USC.

Besides, we are talking about sports here, and in sports USC is, has been, and always will be USC.

Google USC and see what comes up first. And what's USC's web name? www.usc.edu. (or for sports usctrojans.com) What's S. Carolina's? www.sc.edu. (or for sports gamecocksonline.com)

So you Gamecocks can just shut the front door about ever being USC. You're not.
You apparently think your opinion is important on this subject.

Reaction Score
The current champ is champ for the 2024 season. 2025 is not 2024. Case closed. This isn't a monarchy where the king remains king until he dies/loses a game. The 2024 season ended at the title game. The book is closed on 2024.
In 2017, after winning titles in 2013, 2014, 2015, & 2016, UConn was preseason No 3, right in front of SCar. UConn ended the 2017 season undefeated and No 1 in the country on the AP poll.
Very interesting history lesson.

South Carolina didn't lose a game last year and won the title.

It was fun.

Reaction Score
Very interesting history lesson.

South Carolina didn't lose a game last year and won the title.

It was fun.

I'd make Scar my top team right now but not because they won last year. ESPN's choice? Well that's the brain trust that named LSU "super team" last season based on transfers and this year they are saying the same about USC based on about 8 new players.

Reaction Score
I'd make Scar my top team right now but not because they won last year. ESPN's choice? Well that's the brain trust that named LSU "super team" last season based on transfers and this year they are saying the same about USC based on about 8 new players.
I am not sure they'll make SCar #1 with all the roster pjorn of the last 2 months but might be too many challenger contenders to settle on a top 1.

Reaction Score
So they ended the 2017 regular season like SCar did in 2023? Historic, but not really very relevant. It IS like a monarchy and UConn was still the monarch until dead or deposed by defeat.

The preseason is still 2024 until at least one game has been played.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If my last name is Jones and I want to pronounce it "Jon-ez" then, by golly, that's how my name is pronounced. There are multiple USCs, OSUs, UCs, etc. Period.
Nope, not in this world. USC is USC.

Now granted you can say whatever screwed up thing you want to say. You can say the S. Carolina are the hippos, or that S. Carolina fans are the stupidest fans on earth, but that doesn't make it so.

(we know TN has the stupidest fans on earth :rolleyes: )

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom