USC #1 & #2 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

USC #1 & #2

Reaction Score
Is it a “hit?” Well, it’s logically a hit any time you lose a top 5 draft choice. Losing Boston to the draft was a hit just as much as losing Kamilla is. It’s definitely a change that Dawn will need to address.

And Watkins has some flaws that need to be corrected or accounted for. She does not have the “ballast butt” that both Boston and Cardosa have . This helps positioning without fouling in the low post. Ashlyn has to rely on upper body strength and leaping ability. Reliance on the former can lead to excessive foul calls. And she is a poor FT shooter. Add to this, she is.a bit of a whiner when called for a foul which could mark her for further calls by some refs. She needs to learn to control her emotions and keep the opponent out of her head.

But she has advantages that B&C lacked. Much more speed and can cover more ground than either. She can jump higher than either and blocked more shots per minute than Cardosa. She has a better (Though not superior) mid range. She can leave the bucket to defend the midrange and even three pointers. She needs to put up softer shots at point blank range ( as does Chloe) and further develop her hook shot.

Yes, it will be a change . I think Dawn is up to the task of managing the change and limiting the “ hit.” I don’t expect us to go undefeated again but I do expect us to be as good as last year - so long as we don’t have off-season, lazy big heads. Does that mean a repeat championship? We’ll see. Luck is always a factor.
Just FYI - I did not say Dawn was not up to the task. But losing Cardoso is definitely a hit. First off you bring up an irrelevant point about Boston and Cardoso. Those were NPOY caliber players. Watkins is potential 1st team A/A as a junior but not at the level of the senior Cardoso. You are mentioning Watkins taking mid-range shots as if that is some sort of scare. It can be but it is not a scare vs dumping the ball inside to Cardoso or your team's 3pt shooting. SO, when you speak of her shooting -- if I were a fan of another elite team I'd scream "Please Please take that mid-range jumper rather than be available for your awesome offensive rebounding and when you catch the ball mid-range exhibit that negative ass-to-turnover ratio passing."

And when you speak of quickness – that’s all fine and good but note I was speaking of the elite teams. For example, quickness vs UCLA-Betts won't have the same impact vs if you had Cardoso and her height/quickness for her size. Same with Texas. And there is a good chance there are other teams that have a bulkiest inside scorer in which the combo of Cardoso/Watkins could have handled much easier than what you will experience right now. Quickness can help to a degree but over time you are more susceptible to height/bulk that what you have experiennced the past 4 years. Maybe Tac can be a key contributor - but not sure how reliable this early in her career she can be.

Heck, this upcoming year UCONN has their best opportunity to beat you in years because they might be able to score inside for their outside game to b at least pretty good. You have totally taken out that inside the last 4 years. If teams like UCLA, Texas UCONN and other elite teams can score more easily inside, then they won't care about Watkins ability to be better at defending the midrange near as much.

I’ll reiterate your team is #1. With your team's experience, athleticsm, and shooting skill, they are great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To both @hoophuskee and @visitingcock I say Watkins will be very good next season. But she won’t be able simply to fill the hole left by Kamila. Can Walker and Tac help? Sure but they are not enough to face someone like Betts or Lee. Neither are Feagins Kitts or Edward’s. I think Watkins can lead a frontcourt that can handle the superbigs. This will require some retooling of the defense by Dawn to prevent entry passes to the post. I’m sure Dawn knows how to teach this. The team will look a bit different than the past two seasons. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

In effect, SC will look like what UConn might have looked like without all the injuries: a lot of medium bigs who rely on speed and finesse, and a cadre of perimeter shooters. Watkins will have to play the game Aaliyah Edwards did, a player she resembles in some ways. Not quite a comparable midrange shooter yet, but a little more athletic. Joyce doesn’t bring much beyond what Watkins already does, but she’ll bring some effective rotation relief.

I expect to see a lot more of Tessa, as I’ve said elsewhere. This could mean that Kitts gives up some minutes to her. Tessa is not as long, but she’s also not a quick guard. Her natural position looks like wing to me. Chloe can play the 4, as she’s already shown. But I’m not sure how much Dawn will want to use her there. Which means she may be competing for minutes with Tessa and Bree.

Reaction Score

Fox lands this match up during December. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the schedule plays out once they have been officially released.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

Fox lands this match up during December. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the schedule plays out once they have been officially released.

I'm sure UCONN fans aren't happy that the game is while students are on break.

Reaction Score
Well, Michigan finally stepped up to play us in the opening game in Vegas.

Somebody else in the Big Ten ducked - and it ain't Oregon

Reaction Score

I see the schedule makers couldn't resist SC-Texas home and home for Texas' first year in the conference. Should be great matchups.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Which, if USC did duck SC, but then turned around and decided to play UConn.. that would be crazy because if healthy, UConn will have just as much talent as SC next year.

Reaction Score
Which, if USC did duck SC, but then turned around and decided to play UConn.. that would be crazy because if healthy, UConn will have just as much talent as SC next year.
They could have (and probably were) in negotiations with UConn well before our Vegas game came open. (We still don't know who backed out)

I would remind folks that our initial ten or so years of scheduling UConn were not to win games. Our purpose was to just get our name on the wbb map. The UConn name still has that power. Also, a U$C/UConn game is a win for both schools because they are now FOX/FS teams. We are an ABC/ESPN team.

Reaction Score
Not sure So Cal feels that way.

I don't think I do either.

Reaction Score
They could have (and probably were) in negotiations with UConn well before our Vegas game came open. (We still don't know who backed out)

I would remind folks that our initial ten or so years of scheduling UConn were not to win games. Our purpose was to just get our name on the wbb map. The UConn name still has that power. Also, a U$C/UConn game is a win for both schools because they are now FOX/FS teams. We are an ABC/ESPN team.

Playing a marquee game that lots of folks will watch is a win for everyone.

I'd like to think they are being strategic about not having SCar get a feel for them but they may just be chicken.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I agree here, and I can absolutely see Fox/FS putting pressure on SC/The Big Ten to make this matchup happen. The Big Ten will have a lot of marquee matchups in conference next year. As will the SEC.

Reaction Score
I agree here, and I can absolutely see Fox/FS putting pressure on SC/The Big Ten to make this matchup happen. The Big Ten will have a lot of marquee matchups in conference next year. As will the SEC.
Those two conferences, along with the ACC are going to be absolutely nuts. I can’t wait. WBB is going to be must watch TV again next season. I personally am glad the PAC12 schools will get more TV time. Hated they got left out of last year’s fun with the incredible teams that they had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom